Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:07 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I may do the Crows event first weekend of August. I'll definitely be out of my element, but I've never done one, so I figure I may as well.
I guess I'll have to class my car ,though. For our events I arbitrarily pick XP to keep the locals from complaining LOL
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Lol I was thinking the same thing. Considering I've boiled my fluid during an autox in the past, partly my fault since my pads were thinner than ideal, but regardless you can build up some heat for sure even though speeds arent as high as on track. But as Dallas said youre not getting the same airflow.

What part of the caliper is rubbing? Is it the crossover tube; I cant picture right now what sticks out the most? Losing brakes is no fun so Im not sure how I'd feel about that knowing my calipers are rubbing on the wheel. It just seems like youre asking for trouble.
No, the tube isnt hitting. Its just the paint of the arc of the caliper, its literally a tiny section that once it rubbed, its not rubbing anymore. I could grind literally less than 1mm off the caliper and be fine.

See this images from my old post. It only touched at the furthest points of the front of the caliper (top and bottom) in one little area, not across the entire caliper either. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showpost.php?p=11769386&postcount=72

Last edited by KFC-AWD; Jul 11, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 05:04 PM
kaj

And we're saying that is less clearance then Brembo recommends and less that we'd run.
but it's your car, so I say so what ya like.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I may do the Crows event first weekend of August. I'll definitely be out of my element, but I've never done one, so I figure I may as well.
I guess I'll have to class my car ,though. For our events I arbitrarily pick XP to keep the locals from complaining LOL
What do you think is kicking you out of SM?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
What do you think is kicking you out of SM?
To tell the truth, I haven't looked over the rule book in years. A local guy told me to run OSP (A class that only our local chapter runs, I guess....?) but, though they show it on the class schedule each event, it's gone from the MotorSportReg.. so now I just do XP.
I have an aftermarket air filter, O2 housing, and TBE. Also cams and a fuel pump. Interior is gone except for dash, center consoles, and passenger seat. I have coilovers and camber plates. Also adjustable sway bar end links with RSB. Then tuned on e85. Perrin PSRS. I think that's it. The car is pretty simple. Oh, and a wing.
I get lost in that rule book, to tell the truth. I won't really be trying to win a class out there, anyway... so I'm not too worried about where they put me. I tend to just see how fast I can go and compare to friends. Well.. I have a friend that wins championships all the time. I don't compare myself to him LOL
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:27 PM
EvoM Guru

So XP or OPS is probably the right place specifically because of the lack of interior. SM requires full interior minus rear seats but you get to update/backdate so in the Evo's case we get to pull all sound deadening. Thats based on the RS not having it regardless if you bought an SSL.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:19 AM
kaj

So XP or OPS is probably the right place specifically because of the lack of interior. SM requires full interior minus rear seats but you get to update/backdate so in the Evo's case we get to pull all sound deadening. Thats based on the RS not having it regardless if you bought an SSL.
I think so. Which is a bummer because my car isn't built for any of those classes. I assume I will get destroyed when I go to a larger event LOL
That's okay, though. I'm only there to hang out with my buds.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I think so. Which is a bummer because my car isn't built for any of those classes. I assume I will get destroyed when I go to a larger event LOL
That's okay, though. I'm only there to hang out with my buds.
SCCA has some stupid rules for sure when it comes to solo classings. Lack of carpet in the front cabin area of your interior (excluding the rear that is) puts you into the Prepared classes, which is so lame. I would just run it as SM and if anyone actually protests you, tell them they are a *****.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:38 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by KFC-AWD
SCCA has some stupid rules for sure when it comes to solo classings. Lack of carpet in the front cabin area of your interior (excluding the rear that is) puts you into the Prepared classes, which is so lame. I would just run it as SM and if anyone actually protests you, tell them they are a *****.
Lol not like I'd be competitive on the class, anyway. I just don't like the brow beating I'd get, "SM, huh....?"
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Id argue, why do you think you need to pull the carpet especially in a class with "street" in its name? I know the class isnt street-able in reality, but it should at least look the part of being streetable. Compare my car to Zacks FP evo and its a huge difference once you make that next step.

So while there certainly are things I would change, gutted cars in SM isn't one of the things I'd want added.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Id argue, why do you think you need to pull the carpet especially in a class with "street" in its name? I know the class isnt street-able in reality, but it should at least look the part of being streetable. Compare my car to Zacks FP evo and its a huge difference once you make that next step.

So while there certainly are things I would change, gutted cars in SM isn't one of the things I'd want added.
Many people build their car for other purposes besides driving 40 seconds at a time. There is nothing streetable about many of these SM cars at autox that come fully trailored on R comps to an event even if they have a full interior. Pushing someone out of a class based on 10 lbs of interior carpet is just silly.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Many people build their car for other purposes besides driving 40 seconds at a time. There is nothing streetable about many of these SM cars at autox that come fully trailored on R comps to an event even if they have a full interior. Pushing someone out of a class based on 10 lbs of interior carpet is just silly.
Idk, you put street tires on Dallas's car and it would probably be a really fun canyon car. I get the rules, just like Dallas said, it has "street" in the name of the class. I trailer my car to the track too, but on non-track day weekends, it gets street driven. You wouldn't street drive The Zach's FP Evo.

Kind of like how the roll center kits aren't allowed in SP, because allowing geometry changes would allow for a snow ball of custom suspension parts and then it would basically be SM with a bit less power.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

And this is also why the rules are fine. If you're building for something else also, then hardcore AX car isnt what you're goal is. So why would it matter classing weather you run in SM, XP, or just TimeOnly.

There will always be particular cars that benefit from a certain mod or have an easy rule breaking mod they could do, but to the SCCAs defense, that can easily snowball on other chassis. And I can guarantee, your lack of carpet isn't making you faster
Old Jul 12, 2018, 01:15 PM
kaj

I can run for time, without having to be in a class?? That would be perfect. It's basically what I do for local events.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Most clubs have a TO class which we use to help balance the sides of run groups.

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9