Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Are the sidewalls rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Are the sidewalls rubbing?

I noticed after every autocross event my front tires have this wavy look on it. The last event I marked the side with chalk and it didn't fully remove the chalk but it did make it look a little bit hazzy. I am running 32-34 psi on the front cold. Tires are pilot super sports. So is this the sidewall being rubbed and I just need to increase my psi? If so what are some good psi I should be running. This is on stock struts with swift(red) springs.

Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire rollover going on there. What are your hot pressures? I would start 38 cold and take it from there.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

After a couple of runs they got to like 36/37.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yea, bump up your cold psi a few lbs, or get an alignment for more negative camber. And for your next set of tires, move up to the next performance category. For autocross, the Bridgestone RE71r or BFG Rival S will be your fastest options.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try bumping em up to 36 for fronts and 34 for rear. If they still show the same thing then maybe some more until they no longer do that. I don't plan on getting a more competitive tire. Just using pilot super sports since car is DD and want some decent miles out of tires. Also I think I learn a little more running tires with less performance than the big hitters .
Old Jul 6, 2016, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

If you're autocrossing, you're going to wear those PSS's out faster. The RE71r or Rival S are soft. But if you go with something like the Dunlop Z2*, you'll be able to get 20k miles out of them. I had a set of Dunlop Z2's on my car when it was stock turbo/E85. 15k miles and 10 autcrosses and they still had about 4-5/32's of tread left on them. Or just find another set of OEM wheels for $300-400 and run something really cheap and long lasting for the street. Like the Bridgestone re760..
Old Jul 6, 2016, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'll have to check out the longevity on the Z2's. If they really do last that long then it might be my next choice.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually there are little triangles on the side of the tire. I dont see any on the pics you posted, unless they have been scrubbed off.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thought, may save you money in the long run to buy an extra set of wheels/tires and just change them out. All of the local guys here do that
Old Jul 7, 2016, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i dont think that's from tire rollover. it looks like its on the center of the sidewall, widest part of the tire. looks more like curb marks.

if it was tire rollover, it would be continuous from the sidewall to the tread.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i dont think that's from tire rollover. it looks like its on the center of the sidewall, widest part of the tire. looks more like curb marks.

The super sports deflect a lot. It's possible that it only just barely touching the pavement. A local guy here in vegas had the PSS on his car and they looked the same.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy

Think of it as rollover only in EXTREME situations or OH **** moments.

A buddy of mine ran 1 event in his modded Evo X. Full bolt-ons, H&R springs, and some 255/40/18 Continental DWS tires. Even at 44 psi hot, he rolled his tires bad and it looked just like what the OP posted. I'm attributing some of it to improper driving and the car spinning out on almost every run.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if it's rollover, i dont understand how the center of the sidewall is scuffed more than the edge of the tread, there's a lighter area between the heavy scuffing and edge of the tread where its not scuffed much. if tire is rolling over that far, i would think that the scuffing would be uniform from the tread to the middle.

btw, i dont autox much to know what tire rollover looks like, im just speaking from logic.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't hit any cones and there were no curbs at this event. It only happened on my front left tire and not my right. There was a sweeping right hander that I had to brake for and then turn right. I'm thinking that's the corner where something was causing the tire to roll over/mark it up.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Here are the best two pictures I could find on what my tires look like when doing some hard cornering.

Quick Reply: Are the sidewalls rubbing?