Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

getting started autox/roadrace

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
getting started autox/roadrace

hello fellow members. i have always wanted to get into racing but dont know anything about how to get started in or who to talk to. i wouldnt mind autocross events but the dream and interest has always been road racing on a legit track. if anyone has any insight into who to get in contact with, or how to get started or even how much it generally costs to get started and then even race a season please by all means feel free to post. thank you all for your comments.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Where are you? Someone here will have good suggestions for your area.

Autocross is cheap to get started in. Track days are more expensive and harder on the car, but you get more seat time. It also depends what your goals are - whether you need competition or you just want to have fun. No matter what there's a good set of options.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 07:51 PM

im located in delaware. and i love competition i find it fun but im not expecting to make it out of something like get sponsored, even though going professional would be awesome but lets be realistic lol. so i guess it would just be for fun and see where i can hang as far as skill level goes and grow as a driver/racer.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Start with a year or two of autocross. This will teach you the fundamentals of racing as a sport and more importantly how the car reacts to your inputs. Autox is a low speed sport which lowers the risk exponentially.

Track days require a big upfront cost. Spendy pads(most important part of the car for track days fun stuff), spendy sticky tires, exotic fluids, blah blah blah. But once youve got your bases covered its the most affordable driving that exists. Your average track day per sanction is typically $150-$300. That includes ~2hrs of track time. Doing the math, your dollar/min is vastly cheaper than autox or any other sort of fun car stuff. I will say though that after your first track day youll skip the autox days. aha Best to get a season in for the learning experience.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 08:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
AX will certainly garnish you some skills, but if you want to buzz your EVO on a real track, go do a HPDE & run in the beginner class

Go out there & lay down a few laps w/the guys, no passing & get a feel for it. No expensive pads or tires needed (run some inexpensive Stop Tech pads & decent fluid)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 08:16 PM

great input guys, thank you. now how do i or who do i get in contact with to get started with autocross?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.scca.com/regions
Old Aug 30, 2016, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

If you are in Delaware, Philly region is probably your best bet:
http://www.phillyscca.com/
http://www.phillyscca.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

psushoe on here is also a Delawarian, he drives this thing:
Name:  425139_10150991245742545_1990105559_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  94.1 KB

Lots of friendly folks - when in doubt feel free to email the region/post on their forum. If you have any issues finding someone, you can ask here.

Also, the Washington DC region isn't *that* far from you.. we run at Fedex Field and it's a very Evo friendly lot (lowish grip level )
Old Aug 30, 2016, 05:38 PM

i will definitely be looking into all of that. and that car looks like a BEAST!!! my evo is def not as clean and im sure i have way less invested not by choice though lol. and how do you find out whos in your region as far as other members are concerned?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Definitely try autox first and then do HPDE after you have a few autox events. Depends on your time/money, it probably will dictate which one you end up focusing on. If neither is a concern, then HPDE is probably the way to go, but you will learn much quicker in autox because you can make mistake in a safer environment.

Since you are in Delaware, you can check out this website that has almost all the autox events in NJ/NY/CT/PA. Go to a bunch of them and you will eventually make out who is who on this forum...

www.autox4u.com

There is an autox event at Pocono on 9/17-9/18. This is an autox run in the infield, so you will see a higher speed than the typical autox, so probably a good start for you to get a feel of things.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=16111
Old Sep 6, 2016, 07:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by hktrigguy
i will definitely be looking into all of that. and that car looks like a BEAST!!! my evo is def not as clean and im sure i have way less invested not by choice though lol. and how do you find out whos in your region as far as other members are concerned?
No worries man. It's something where you're constantly trying to improve your driving a little bit every time. Don't sweat your car, level of prep, etc. Actually an Evo might even be a little more fun on some cheezy all seasons

For finding out who is in your region, best way is to check old results.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
For autox, you are closest to the Philly region (SCCA). Also check out Brandywine Motorsports Club. They are local to you.

SJR and NNJR SCCA are also within driving distance (imo). SJR holds events at Bader Field in Atlantic City and NNJR at Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.

I'm sure I'll run into you sooner or later; come by and say hi! My home region is SJR but I have been doing mostly Philly and NNJR this year.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not out much this year (taking a break), but definitely come talk to me if you see me at an event. Kinda hard to miss the car
Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:47 PM

thank all of you guys. you have all been welcoming and have had truly helpful insight. i just closed on a house in viola, delaware so im sure i will be a little broke for a while and the season seems to be coming to an end from what im seeing online. but none the less you can guarantee on seeing me out there next year when things start up again. if anyone isnt that far away from me and would like to get up n bs or w.e. else dont be afraid to hit me up on here and we can go from there. also from what ive been reading and hearing i am slightly modded and would be classed against Porsches, how do you all fair against the comp? and i know its all for fun but im competitive and hate to lose haha!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What does "slightly modded" mean? The ct9a can be very competitive in the right class.

Quick Reply: getting started autox/roadrace