Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
I don't trust my EVO X stock clutch to endure this at the NJ PRO. I will most likely be codriving something else. I still find it crazy you had 3-4 tenths per side at the 60 foot mark and Bryan still came around. Insane.
I wouldn't sweat it. I have 97 Pro launches on my OEM clutch so far, all at STU power levels and it's fine. Just make sure you are spinning the tires when you launch, to the extent possible.

Oh and a wise STUer once told me that wheel hop is really bad (breaks things), so if it starts doing that, get out of it
Old Apr 4, 2017, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
I don't trust my EVO X stock clutch to endure this at the NJ PRO. I will most likely be codriving something else. I still find it crazy you had 3-4 tenths per side at the 60 foot mark and Bryan still came around. Insane.

I didn't trust my clutch or transfer case to endure it, that's why I haven't done any Pros until now . Glad I finally tried it though, tons of fun

And yeah, I had a launch advantage but Bryan was able to hunt me down when actual turns came up . I think I could've carried a tick more speed leading to the finish on the left, and not messing up the turnarounds (plus using the more of the width at the finish on the right) would've gotten me within a couple tenths of him and made for a fun finish on Sunday. Lucky for me, the Crows Pro is in a few weeks - Bryan will be there as well as some competitive AWD cars from the Pacific Northwest, should be a good time
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Went to an AAS event at Crows Landing this past Sunday, that was probably the most fun I've had driving a course at Crows Landing that I can remember, just a bunch of high speed elements that rewarded guts . Was carrying a little too much speed right before needing to turn slightly left and plowed over 3 standing cones, data showed a pretty good time if I didn't mess up the following turn around and if I didn't tap the brakes to try (futilely) and avoid the cones. Still, I've had trouble with high speed slaloms and offsets in the past so I was happy to be able to attack those sections without much hesitation, hopefully it helps for the upcoming Crows Landing Pro + Tour

Old Apr 11, 2017, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
another great run. I'm curious, are you spraying down your tires regularly? I finally had an event on a hot, normal day and by run 4 (60s course, with a LOT of time on the limiter down to slow braking zones), my tires were heating up bad (255/40 RE71Rs) and getting greasy. I don't think this applies to tours, or maybe even not to prosolos if theres not much time to spray, but just wondering how you manage front tire heat, or if that is even a problem for you?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
looks like the car is pretty pushy on that surface, no?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
another great run. I'm curious, are you spraying down your tires regularly? I finally had an event on a hot, normal day and by run 4 (60s course, with a LOT of time on the limiter down to slow braking zones), my tires were heating up bad (255/40 RE71Rs) and getting greasy. I don't think this applies to tours, or maybe even not to prosolos if theres not much time to spray, but just wondering how you manage front tire heat, or if that is even a problem for you?
Originally Posted by griceiv
don't know if that is from tire heat or setup, I'm assuming it's just setup on that concrete.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

During this particular event, temps probably didn't crack 65 degrees and we had about 15-20 minutes in between runs (though there was like an hour-long gap between my 3rd and 4th runs, someone spun at the finish and shredded the timing cable). I usually don't have to spray until my third run or so, but I think the wider tires have a bit more heat tolerance than the 245/255s do. Sometimes I don't spray and midway through a run I can feel the front tires falling off though, so it is an issue sometimes.

I've noticed the car has gradually become more pushy over the last few weeks, getting my alignment checked on Friday to make sure things are good to go for the upcoming Pro + Tour. Though it's become more pushy, it's not hard to drive around (for now).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Had a great time at the Crows Landing Pro Solo this past weekend, great weather and a pair of awesome courses! Finished in 3rd out of 8 to snag the last trophy spot but was 1.7 seconds back of Bill Zerr, who was in Dan Podhola's STi, and was about 2 seconds back of Bryan in his 350Z. Still, the 3rd place finish leaves me with 29 points, so I qualify for Tier 2 when registering for the Pro Finale. After watching my videos, it looked like I was more focused about carrying speed everywhere instead of making car placement the main priority - I missed a lot of apexes and didn't drive the second halves of both courses well, some sections were a bit out of control and hairy (3 out of my 4 runs had cones in those sections on Saturday afternoon). Just gotta remind myself that car placement is more important in most places over bombing into elements

Left:

Right:

As a note, I was on the new Nexen SUR4G at the Pro (265/35/18) and was thoroughly impressed. They felt good in regards to turn-in and braking, and they let you drive with a good amount of slip angle without punishing you for it. Basically felt like a Rival S but in 265 trim (which is what I would've like to run if they made it in that size). They're also fairly quiet on the road and it feels like the car rides better with them (maybe softer sidewalls than RE-71Rs). Steve O'Blenes and his co-driver (STX RX8) were also trying them, not sure what they had to say though - I know Bryan and Teddie like them a lot on their Z despite the 265 being a bit small for their car. I'll be on them again for the Crows Landing Championship Tour, hoping for a better result than 3rd though
Old Apr 25, 2017, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice Job. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Nexens.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

interesting - the car does seem a little pushy from the last few videos. are you feeling that when you're driving the car or is it just from the video where it looks that way?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seem like you really pinched yourself and lost time on the Right around 21 seconds into the video. So do you think the Nexans are actually on par with the other two top players?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like prices are pretty close to RE71s...they better be as good!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 08:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Always good seeing you Jimmy, unfortunately I didnt get to watch your runs because I was always prepping for my session when you were going out. And dont worry about being behind Bill, that dude is on the level of "how is he so damn fast in everything?", 3rd was a great place to be in that company.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Job. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Nexens.
Thanks, and no problem. Just wish I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong at the event instead of after it

interesting - the car does seem a little pushy from the last few videos. are you feeling that when you're driving the car or is it just from the video where it looks that way?
It felt ok to me, though it felt better on the TnT course on Friday (I didn't want to have the car loose on new-to-me tires, was still getting comfortable with their limits).

Seem like you really pinched yourself and lost time on the Right around 21 seconds into the video. So do you think the Nexans are actually on par with the other two top players?
I don't know about pinched, but I think I sailed by my mark by 2+ feet

As for the SUR4G, I think they're really good and in the ballpark of the RE71R and Rival S (hard to say for the Rival S in my application since they don't make a 265 though). Steve O'Blenes was also on the tires in his STX RX8 and he was just out of the trophies, heard he had good things to say about them as well.

Looks like prices are pretty close to RE71s...they better be as good!
That was my thought

At least they pay better in contingency than Bridgestone, plus they pay at Pros too

Always good seeing you Jimmy, unfortunately I didnt get to watch your runs because I was always prepping for my session when you were going out. And dont worry about being behind Bill, that dude is on the level of "how is he so damn fast in everything?", 3rd was a great place to be in that company.
Great seeing you too, Dallas! Missed an opportunity for a photo op between our cars, we'll have to do it at Nationals . Between you, Marshall, and I, it was almost like a mini-EvoM meetup at Crows last weekend.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
*ahem*

Quick Reply: STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE