Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
So sorry about this man! This is no fun...
Old Nov 16, 2021, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry to hear this JIM, i pray you get it back quickly.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 05:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Jim, maybe it's too soon to ask but what's the plan?

If this car isn't recovered, are you going to search out another evo or go another route?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks everyone.

As for what's next, it'll depend a lot on what insurance does (and if the car is found or not) - I don't see myself buying another Evo 9, I've owned mine for almost 11.5 years at this point and don't see myself paying $30k+ for a car that has a little less than 100k miles. At this point, the local PD still shows the car as stolen (would say recovered if it was found) and it's been 2 weeks since the theft occurred - probably realistic to say that it's not in 1 piece anymore 🙁
Old Nov 20, 2021, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
I follow this thread time to time never really comment really sorry to hear about this man.. its likely not much of anything is left of the car. Thieves like this tend to know exactly what to do with a hot car within the first few days. That is to chop it up into bits.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If you decide you want to try out a X Jim, hit me up. I have a stock 2015 that's got a junk drivetrain I already have a new crate motor for. Perfect for a track build to suit. I also have a "bolt on" FE with a full Varis body kit currently. Atlanta based no rust on either.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Bit of an update - the car was recovered by the police, turns out it wasn't far from where I left it (a few blocks away, under a car cover). Insurance owns the car now so I'll be driving something else for next season. I updated the first post of this thread to reflect how the car was at its last event; it was working really well so it's a shame I don't get a chance to see how things would go for this season but it is what it is. Here's the last run the car took (late last October):

Last edited by Jim3142; Jan 6, 2022 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jan 25, 2022)
Old Jan 7, 2022, 05:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jim3142
Bit of an update - the car was recovered by the police, turns out it wasn't far from where I left it (a few blocks away, under a car cover). Insurance owns the car now so I'll be driving something else for next season. I updated the first post of this thread to reflect how the car was at its last event; it was working really well so it's a shame I don't get a chance to see how things would go for this season but it is what it is. Here's the last run the car took (late last October):

https://youtu.be/a7uJkdzjsFM
Happy to hear they found it - did you get a chance to see the condition of it when they found it?

Out of curiosity, could you expand your thoughts on the new coilovers? Or didn't you get much of a chance to play with them prior to the incident? I've been leaning going this route and have been debating between going with his singles or triples (as I'd like to also double duty this car for Gridlife - Street class). Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

https://youtu.be/a7uJkdzjsFM
Hi Jim,

Glad to hear car was recovered!
Part that I am wondering there is about insurance owning the car...I had options before to deal with the insurance after the car was totaled and usually you could have an option to buy it from them really cheap. The car that they payed me $1,500 back was just $400 at that time. Perhaps you might get an option to buy it as is and just use it as a race car. Or, sell it to someone else who would do the same.

At the same time, you never mentioned what shape the car is in, so that might change things a bit...
Old Jan 30, 2022, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Happy to hear they found it - did you get a chance to see the condition of it when they found it?

Out of curiosity, could you expand your thoughts on the new coilovers? Or didn't you get much of a chance to play with them prior to the incident? I've been leaning going this route and have been debating between going with his singles or triples (as I'd like to also double duty this car for Gridlife - Street class). Thanks in advance!
The car was mostly intact - they bent the window half of the front doors trying to use a crowbar or screwdriver to get in. It had some weird wheels on the rear, one of the fronts was spray-painted, and they took the battery and intake cone off the car. Lugnuts were replaced with whatever they had for some reason, and they didn't even put them on all of the lugs . The front tires were corded and I had no way to start it - my guess is they abused the crap out of it while they had the chance. The area containing the fuel pump was also messed up, looked like they took cutters to that area and tried to pry the metal open to get the fuel pump assembly out? Almost everything they did was so weird

As for the coilovers, they were the best set that I had tried on my car - best ride quality and you could feel the car's behavior change with subtle shock changes. It's also nice to have his support and he answers your questions.

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear car was recovered!
Part that I am wondering there is about insurance owning the car...I had options before to deal with the insurance after the car was totaled and usually you could have an option to buy it from them really cheap. The car that they payed me $1,500 back was just $400 at that time. Perhaps you might get an option to buy it as is and just use it as a race car. Or, sell it to someone else who would do the same.

At the same time, you never mentioned what shape the car is in, so that might change things a bit...
Surprisingly, insurance never offered me a chance to buy it back - given what it went through and that I was unsure of the drivetrain's health, I opted not to ask.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

The car was mostly intact - they bent the window half of the front doors trying to use a crowbar or screwdriver to get in. It had some weird wheels on the rear, one of the fronts was spray-painted, and they took the battery and intake cone off the car. Lugnuts were replaced with whatever they had for some reason, and they didn't even put them on all of the lugs . The front tires were corded and I had no way to start it - my guess is they abused the crap out of it while they had the chance. The area containing the fuel pump was also messed up, looked like they took cutters to that area and tried to pry the metal open to get the fuel pump assembly out? Almost everything they did was so weird

As for the coilovers, they were the best set that I had tried on my car - best ride quality and you could feel the car's behavior change with subtle shock changes. It's also nice to have his support and he answers your questions.

Surprisingly, insurance never offered me a chance to buy it back - given what it went through and that I was unsure of the drivetrain's health, I opted not to ask.

Man, that sucks to hear. I absolutely loathe the fact that people feel the need to take other people's stuff.

I appreciate the confirmation in regards to the coilovers. Seems like everyone only has good things to say about these and Jon has been extremely helpful in answering my questions as well. I ordered a set a couple weeks back and look forward to testing these out in March!