Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Toyo R888R anyone try them?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 08:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I really like the RE71, compared to the Federals and R-S3s. I'm not sure about absolute grip over the Hankook (I'm sure it's there), but the B-Stones are just so responsive. The car felt much more "alive" after swapping. You will be stoked.
That being said, I'm going back to Hankook next year LOL
Old Dec 9, 2016, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That is funny you are going for the RS3. It's a great tire and I dove on a set for an afternoon session at autocross once and loved them. There is some good reason to go that direction and it's Price point can't be beat. Also if you are comfortable on them that too helps a ton.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I don't know why you're giving the DTC manager so much ****. Those tires are next to impossible to get in that size right now. Likely nothing to do with anyone "not doing their job", and far more likely that he had a hard time finding a set...

The store that I know the manager had a set in stock for 2 months that he ordered for a friend that wasn't able to pick them up yet, he literally got calls every day to see if he could transfer them out... Obviously the answer was always no.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted EVO IX (Dec 10, 2016)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:16 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
That is funny you are going for the RS3. It's a great tire and I dove on a set for an afternoon session at autocross once and loved them. There is some good reason to go that direction and it's Price point can't be beat. Also if you are comfortable on them that too helps a ton.
It's the price. I don't think I'm a good enough driver that I'd notice the performance difference between the Hankook and Bridgestone. I couldn't do back to back comparisons and i haven't been to the track during the dry to compare lap times, so I can't say if one outperforms the other. Judging by reviews and others' lap times, I'd say there is an advantage. Hankook is $174 cheaper so... LOL
To some people that's not much money, but for me, that's a track day
Old Dec 10, 2016, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Another notable tire out that I also considered was the new NexenN FERA SUR4 200 tread wear tire. This is a cheaper tire and also available from Tire Rack. Going into my purchase my RE71R I checked on the availability of the Nexen because it's getting solid reviews. I will say they are limited reviews like the Toyo in the title of the thread. What caused me to back off the Nexen was a local used a set of RE71R and the Nexen back to back over an autocross weekend. He said they were amazing but was slightly faster on he RE71R.

On a side note, A way I shop for tires is using Tire Rack for inventory check. If I see they have tires I need or want in stock I will make a move on what it is im looking for.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
also guys , older tires (by the date they have been made) are usually at this level of grip are getting harder by a year and there for loosing grip. Even if they wasn't used at all.

Just sitting on the shelf also age them. So it is good to know if you see a "great" discount how old the tires are you about to make a deal.
Just food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted EVO IX (Dec 10, 2016)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 04:41 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
also guys , older tires (by the date they have been made) are usually at this level of grip are getting harder by a year and there for loosing grip. Even if they wasn't used at all.

Just sitting on the shelf also age them. So it is good to know if you see a "great" discount how old the tires are you about to make a deal.
Just food for thought.
True. And trying to get a "build date" on a set is damned near impossible. When I ask, the other end of the phone goes silent. Some of them don't even know what I'm asking for LOL
Old Apr 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Update for those looking for info: http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2017/...nd-hankook-rs4
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
True. And trying to get a "build date" on a set is damned near impossible. When I ask, the other end of the phone goes silent. Some of them don't even know what I'm asking for LOL
It's because the term isn't "build date" it's "DOT date". Because the date is part of the DOT number on the tire.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like I'll be staying on my Nitto NT01 bandwagon for duel autocross/track Day purposes
Old Apr 17, 2017, 06:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It's because the term isn't "build date" it's "DOT date". Because the date is part of the DOT number on the tire.
yeah, I guess they won't answer unless you use the right terminology. Lol
I told them I wanted to know when they were made. Build date, DOT date. whatever they want to call it. All I got was, "uhhhhhhh". I gave up.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Tire Rack and discount tire will tell you, they all know what you're asking and why. Which is why I only deal with those two companies for tires.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read that article a while ago. This is the part that is interesting for those specifically using their Evos for the track.

Next up we hit up Motorsports Ranch in Cresson Texas for a track test. There the track oriented R888R came to life offering prodigious grip. More importantly the Toyo seemed to tolerate a good degree of slip angle and had moderately progressive break away (the main areas where the predecessor R888 were known to be weak). We had planned a timed comparison between the two tires unfortunately mechanical issues with the car prevented that from taking place. My best guess is that the Toyo was running about a second quicker than the BFG.
This is why I have a set sitting in my garage right now.