Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

X BBS rims with r-comps & 3-way coils

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X BBS rims with r-comps & 3-way coils

Hey,

I understand the BBS oem rim is good for the track, but what about using r-comps (Goodrich R1s hard) and 3-way suspension? Does anyone has tried it?

Thanks,
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
To me, sounds like too much tire & suspension & not enough wheel (i.e. 8.5")

What spring rate?

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 14, 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You can put a 245/40r18 slick/r-comp tire on that wheel and it will do fine.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Im not sure I even understand the question. Yes, those wheels will work fine with R-comp tires assuming the sizes match up. What kind of racing do you plan to do with the car? An R1S isnt going to last very long on track at all relative to say an R1.

As for the suspension combination 3 way is fine but depending on your skill level and suspension knowledge 3 way may not be a good fit for you. For starters a bazillion levels of adjustment does you know good if all the setting are crap. Don't get caught up in marketing hype. Typically a 3 way coilover will be much higher end so sure it's most likely capable of performing well but then you need to know how to dial it in. All the fine tuning does you no good if you aren't familiar with racing or suspension tuning to know what to change given what you're experiencing with the vehicle.

For starters more info as to the type of racing you'll be doing as well as level of experience would be great. From there we can give you feedback on which tires to look into and from there what suspension spring rates alignment specs etc.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 03:58 PM

- Spring rate TBD, on the street for a new suspension system. Probably 14/12. I have a separate thread on this
- I have already bought 245 40 18 Goodrich R1 (hard)
- heel2toe: I'm planning on doing time attack and clubracing. I'm heavily involved in rallying, meaning I have ample access to expert hands. Actually, a 3-way suspension for 5k is not motorsport level, just one notch below, but I'm not into "actual racing"
- MinusPrevious, can you explain me why ppl go wide? Shouldn't all the benefits of wide can be obtained with a good suspension? I'm talking for an evo under 500 whp

Thanks everyone for your input
Old Dec 16, 2016, 04:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Franco Saval
- Spring rate TBD, on the street for a new suspension system. Probably 14/12. I have a separate thread on this

- MinusPrevious, can you explain me why ppl go wide? Shouldn't all the benefits of wide can be obtained with a good suspension? I'm talking for an evo under 500 whp
Hi Franco

What year EvO? You may have those rates backwards. Should be 12K/14K

I was just making a casual observation. Seemed like running a high spec 3 way coilover & R comps but handicapping w/a 8.5" wheel didnt add up to me

Why not maximize the system by running a 9.5" to 10.5" wheel that can handle those R-comps & the 3-way coilover (Also, running a 275 to 285 wide tire)

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 16, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hi Franco

What year EvO? You may have those rates backwards. Should be 12K/14K

I was just making a casual observation. Seemed like running a high spec 3 way coilover & R comps but handicapping w/a 8.5" wheel didnt add up to me

Why not maximize the system by running a 9.5" to 10.5" wheel that can handle those R-comps & the 3-way coilover (Also, running a 275 to 285 wide tire)

Joe
Its a '14 gsr. Yes, typo: 12/14. There are two reason why im sticking with OEM rims. I dont want to run a hubcentric ring. I'm not going to push above 500 whp, so the additional grip is not required. Or why you think this will cripple it? r-comps are actually closer to 255. In tarmac rally, the rallyslick is 225 width
Old Dec 20, 2016, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Franco

Sounds like your recipe will work just fine. Its should be a very well handling X

Post up a pic of your EvO so we can see what youve done to it

Joe
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Franco

Sounds like your recipe will work just fine. Its should be a very well handling X

Post up a pic of your EvO so we can see what youve done to it

Joe
Hopefully. Will make a re-introduction thread soon w pics.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its a '14 gsr. Yes, typo: 12/14. There are two reason why im sticking with OEM rims. I dont want to run a hubcentric ring. I'm not going to push above 500 whp, so the additional grip is not required. Or why you think this will cripple it? r-comps are actually closer to 255. In tarmac rally, the rallyslick is 225 width
Additional grip is not required? Lol is there a such thing as enough grip???
Old Dec 27, 2016, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
evo 10 are heavy cars. even at 300 whp, you're still going to over heat those 245 tires. you'll need all the mechanical you can get with that car. there is no such thing as too much tires for a track car. you dont need hub centric rings, if that's what holding you back from getting aftermarket wheels. i've never use hub centric rings on any aftermarket wheels and have tracked for many years. a lot of racers i know dont use them either.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
evo 10 are heavy cars. even at 300 whp, you're still going to over heat those 245 tires. you'll need all the mechanical you can get with that car. there is no such thing as too much tires for a track car. you dont need hub centric rings, if that's what holding you back from getting aftermarket wheels. i've never use hub centric rings on any aftermarket wheels and have tracked for many years. a lot of racers i know dont use them either.
I'm not clear on what the big deal is anyway. I've got a set of 4 alu hub rings for my NT03s. Not like they will fail, and are not hard to take off or put on...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 01:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I'm not clear on what the big deal is anyway. I've got a set of 4 alu hub rings for my NT03s. Not like they will fail, and are not hard to take off or put on...
I think the non use of hub rings is similar to track guys who dont balance their race wheels (thats a highly debated topic BTW)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Well balancing gets expensive, I get that. But hub rings are cheap, and you really only need to buy them once.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
for Evo 9, the popular setup with RPF1 will require spacers, which means you cant use hub centric rights unless they are built into the spacers (i have jmfab spacers which have hub centric rings). in my opinion, the rings only help to center the wheels when you are tighten down the wheel, but the lug nuts will also center the wheel once they are torqued. i always two stage torque the wheels, first to center the wheel then final torque and while the wheels are in the air.

i also dont spin balance my track tires
i use bubble balancer. it's good enough for track. slight vibration at certain speed sometime but it doesnt bother me when you're so focused on other things. i used to get spin balance but it would still shake after one or two track weekend. it costs me pennies to rebalance my wheels after each event with bubble balancer.

Quick Reply: X BBS rims with r-comps & 3-way coils