Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
it's all a great discussion but replacement drive shafts, bumper beams and roofs don't seem like STU topics.
Old May 13, 2017, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
seems pretty cool at roughly 12lbs, and very inexpensive too - but, it is saying 220cca & only 12 ah? is that right?

FWIW the shorai batteries are lithium-iron, but i don't know anything about anything to know what difference that makes for risks/trade offs. sorry to totally jack this into a lightweight battery discussion!
Apologies; I had the wrong Deka part number in the post originally.

I use the Deka ETX20L. It's 15.5 lbs but has 310CCA and 17.5AH. Almost 50% more battery than the ETX14 but only 3.5lbs heavier.
Old May 13, 2017, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
got it. decent option, decent price too. splitting hairs by this point but shorai's is 5lbs, 540cca & 20 ah. obviously the cost is like $250 though.
Old May 13, 2017, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
got it. decent option, decent price too. splitting hairs by this point but shorai's is 5lbs, 540cca & 20 ah. obviously the cost is like $250 though.
Before I had a separate daily driver I would drive my Evo all through the winter. Lithium Ion batteries don't take kindly to being charged in below-freezing temperatures, so that was a no-go.

If I went the Shorai route I'd also want to invest in their balancing charger to keep the cells balanced occasionally.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
35 launches later and the EVO X made it ok out of the NJ ProSolo event lol. Not one 2 step, all manual bouncing around 5k. 60's ranged from 1.9-2.2 depending on how bad it bogged but yet the car still did real well. Ended up winning STU by 1.4xx seconds, raw timing STR/STX and everyone is AS except Daddio (he's a freak). Odd weekend for me, my best left side was my very first run then I just kept making mistakes or hitting cones. I left .4xx out there due to a cone.

My best right side was my very last run, this was a very freaking tricky course and I couldn't figure out the right relationship btwn cutting distance and maintaining speed. Either way for a under prepped cheap build, the car did real well today.

Left:

Right:

With some decent parts and full prep, I really think the X has a shot at this.

Last edited by laloosh; May 22, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laloosh
35 launches later and the EVO X made it ok out of the NJ ProSolo event lol. Not one 2 step, all manual bouncing around 5k. 60's ranged from 1.9-2.2 depending on how bad it bogged but yet the car still did real well. Ended up winning STU by 1.4xx seconds, raw timing STR/STX and everyone is AS except Daddio (he's a freak). Odd weekend for me, my best left side was my very first run then I just kept making mistakes or hitting cones. I left .4xx out there due to a cone.

My best right side was my very last run, this was a very freaking tricky course and I couldn't figure out the right relationship btwn cutting distance and maintaining speed. Either way for a under prepped cheap build, the car did real well today.

With some decent parts and full prep, I really think the X has a shot at this.
Congrats! Great Job
Old May 24, 2017, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Just submitted my letter to the STAC re: boost and ECU's. #21528. A bit late honestly.

If you have opinions, get to it!
Yeah so... wrote this letter mid-February. Response showed up in today's Fastrack.

Here's the letter
This letter is in regards to the proposal to open up the ECU allowance in street touring

At a high level, I don't agree with the proposal. I am one of those naive types who believes that everyone basically plays fair and if someone is sufficiently determined to cheat, there are dozens of things they can do that will never be noticed (think Spec Miata levels of shenanigans). So from the "we need to open it up to make it enforceable" perspective, I don't agree with that premise. Setting that aside, I have a few concerns about the proposal:

1) ST-all. Standalones are expensive, hard to tune, and less streetable than ECU flashes that mostly preserve OE functionality. I would contend that they should not be in the class in the first place (i.e. stuffed into OEM housings), but that ship has sailed. Why do we want to increase the perception that ST* is expensive? This is another area where spending a lot more money (buying the equipment and most likely getting someone to tune it) will probably get you small but measurable gains over cheaper solutions. That's the sort of stuff that ST should be getting away from.

2) STX. STX is in a really good place now with a lot of cars being competitive and very deep fields. What will it do for the class if everyone now has to have a Mini S (which just won and will improve under this proposal) or a WRX (which hasn't won for a while but stands to gain quite a bit)?

3) STU. This proposal takes two cars which have relative parity today (the Evo and STi) and advantages one over the other. Currently a typical STU Evo makes less torque than an STU STi but has better gearing (able to hit low/mid 60's in 2nd gear as opposed to more like 58 mph in the STi). Under this proposal, the STU STis will be able to make massive gains because there are no artificial hardware limits on what kind of boost they can produce. Here is Josh Luster's old car (currently in John Hale's hands) going between a street tune and an STU tune: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...&postcount=503 - the difference is +19 whp and +45 wtq. This would enable the STi's to be able to use 3rd much more easily on faster courses when they would normally be more penalized. The Evo does not gain power under this new allowance because there is a physical hardware limit in the stock boost hardware - the "boost pill". You cannot just turn up the boost in an Evo without changing this, and the current proposal does not add an SP-like allowance to change the boost hardware. I want to be as clear as possible - same car, same day, I told my tuner (CBRD) to make me a "street tune" for the time I wasn't autocrossing. I gained +1 whp and +3 wtq:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...116_211540.jpg

If you want parity to be preserved, ST should have a matching boost hardware allowance. Once you open it up at the ECU, you are allowing cars to do silly and possibly damaging things - so there is no real reason why a boost controller or similar would be any worse. I am guessing that the reason why the standalone allowance was proposed was that currently, some cars can use the allowance and some can't, and this proposal fixes that so that everyone can go standalone if they want. In my opinion, the same should apply to boost; if you open it up at the ECU, there is no good reason for not also opening up the hardware. That is the only way all cars will be able to use this. It is likely that future cars will have similar hardware issues as manufacturers try to prevent people from doing modifications.Thank you for your time and your service on the STAC.
<my name><region><member #>
Here's how that response came out in Fastrack:
Street Touring
#21196, 21199, 21205, 21216, 21219, 21221, 21224, 21225, 21229, 21238, 21242, 21260,
21269, 21323, 21346, 21380, 21426, 21471, 21496, 21508, 21528, 21622, 21652, 21676,
21702 Feedback regarding ECU Allowances (various)
Please see the response in item #14648
OK...
#14648 ECU Clarification
The STAC would like to clarify the context of the following group of rule proposals:
14648 ECU Clarification, 21094 Octane Rating (see above), and 21408 Making ST
Hot Again (see below). The proposal regarding the changes to allow open ECUs (open
boost via changes in the ECU) and plug-and-play engine control modules is intended to
address the inability to enforce the current rule, while continuing to allow common tuning
modifications. The proposal to create STH is also influenced by the potential changes
to ECUs/boost. By placing the majority of turbocharged cars in the ST classes together,
the impact of boost/engine performance changes would be relatively contained and
we would maintain stability in STS and STX. Cars that are moved may be re-classed if
warranted.
So that is somewhat responsive to point 2 about STX, but not at all responsive to the rest of it. Should I be writing three letters in this scenario? After writing a concise and researched but not that long letter, it's pretty disappointing to not even get a "OK, but we disagree and here's why". Or "we'll monitor the balance". Anything other than grouping it with 20 other letters and ignoring most of the content.
Old May 24, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

better than the ol' thank you for your input at least.

re: STU, is open tuning allowed for STU? I thought that was only for STH. they do NOT want the dominant cars in STU to be the evo/sti, imo
Old May 24, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

wtf here's the fasttrack? move mini cooper s to STU??

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1495549751
Old May 24, 2017, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

I love how they "allow" 2wds 285s... as if they can fit it under the current rolling rules

focus RS allowed into STU!
Old May 24, 2017, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
I love how they "allow" 2wds 285s... as if they can fit it under the current rolling rules

focus RS allowed into STU!
I thought the Z's/C5's could already fit 285's and were doing so?
Old May 24, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I thought the Z's/C5's could already fit 285's and were doing so?
sorry I meant FWD cars, should have clarified - i.e., the only one mattering being the MCS. I don't even know if they can fit 265s (I'm mini owner, but in HS. chassis & suspension is the exact same).
Old May 24, 2017, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'm friends with alot of RS owners. That car with open ecu boost will be a BEAST power wise. I'm talking damn near 400wtq to the wheels. Any dig, pin, slower section....forget it.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

we need hardware boost control... and clutches... and a LSD
Old May 24, 2017, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

we need hardware boost control... and clutches... and a LSD
Sandbox people who drive cars that get taken off the line by modern minivans don't agree with you. I actually think this open ecu thing will start smoking clutches left and right lol

Last edited by laloosh; May 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!