Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
No it's not, but you don't want it interfering with the air stream going under the car if it's not being removed before going on track.

Also, why don't you guys just use wheel straps? I've never had a problem doing that but I've only ever my evo on open trailers.
Inevitably the strap end up the valve stem and if you strap not at the closest point the tires can turn. But primarily, I like to strap to the chassis and compress the suspension a bit reducing shocks oscillating and bushing/bearing wear when its just riding in the trailer.

Old Jan 11, 2022, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 385 Likes on 330 Posts
try this bracket design. move the pin or add shackles, add some ears so the bracket doesnt spin

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Jan 11, 2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Inevitably the strap end up the valve stem and if you strap not at the closest point the tires can turn. But primarily, I like to strap to the chassis and compress the suspension a bit reducing shocks oscillating and bushing/bearing wear when its just riding in the trailer.
All of that. Likely what Dallas ran into but the D rings are about 8 inches inwards of the inside edge of the tire. So as you ratchet it down you end up watching it pull toe-out and putting that force on everything if it's not dead center back of the tire. Arguments can be had that it doesn't actually affect anything but the added benefits of chassis tie downs far exceed it.

The bracket you have pictured there Austin, the holes aren't wide enough to fit the fat ends through x2? I'd like cut off the bottom hole and make the rectangle open on the inside. Make it thick enough or strong enough material that it won't bend with strap pressure which is what....200-300lbs?

And if you make it open, we may be able to use the 12"x2" axels straps through it to get the attachment point below the muffler. Then in that case you can make the profile much lower.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
try this bracket design. move the pin or add shackles, add some ears so the bracket doesnt spin
More bends = more expensive. If a simple bracket does the same job that's the route I'll go.

Originally Posted by Balrok
The bracket you have pictured there Austin, the holes aren't wide enough to fit the fat ends through x2? I'd like cut off the bottom hole and make the rectangle open on the inside. Make it thick enough or strong enough material that it won't bend with strap pressure which is what....200-300lbs?

And if you make it open, we may be able to use the 12"x2" axels straps through it to get the attachment point below the muffler. Then in that case you can make the profile much lower.
Pictured is a 1.5" hole, can probably go up to 2" or 2.5" if needed. The two top holes mount under the subframe bolts, I realized I didn't clarify that earlier. I figured having one hole to clip into on the bottom would keep things more compact. I could make the hole an oval but am trying to keep the hole round for strength and to keep the clips from sliding on a straight edge.

I thought about using soft loops like you mentioned but those will still pull straight when you tighten them.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 385 Likes on 330 Posts
More bends = more expensive. If a simple bracket does the same job that's the route I'll go.
ok just in case the strap's happiness is important
Old Jan 12, 2022, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well it's obvious the two bolt holes are.....bolt holes hahaha. So the issue we'll run into with that is what I mentioned - the 1 large round hole at 1.5" isn't big enough for two mac hooks to live together inside of (I don't believe). But if you look back at my exhaust hanger, if that bend dips down only 3/4 of an inch the strap will still "lift" the muffler up once it gets tension which is what we're trying to avoid.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Ive always believed it was better for your trailer and the car to strap the car down via an unsprung portion of the car e.g the wheels in order to allow the cars suspension to absorb bumps etc going down the road that the trailer cant keep up with. Otherwise if you strap the cars chassis down hard to the trailer the suspension on the trailer now has to deal with the entirity of the cars weight aswell as its own weight.

This is what comes with the futura trailers which is what ive got. works real good and easy to flick over the wheel and get rolling.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 05:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I *heart* my Macs tire nets.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, would be nice to have such tire access and timid weather lol.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Well it's obvious the two bolt holes are.....bolt holes hahaha. So the issue we'll run into with that is what I mentioned - the 1 large round hole at 1.5" isn't big enough for two mac hooks to live together inside of (I don't believe). But if you look back at my exhaust hanger, if that bend dips down only 3/4 of an inch the strap will still "lift" the muffler up once it gets tension which is what we're trying to avoid.
Agreed. The hole can be made larger but the main question is how far down does it need to go for straps to not interfere with the muffler?

Ah, would be nice to have such tire access and timid weather lol.
Lol you get plenty of timid weather, your winter is mostly 50F. Speaking of that, the GF had an offer accepted on a house in SC so I'll likely be moving down late spring/early summer.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed. The hole can be made larger but the main question is how far down does it need to go for straps to not interfere with the muffler?

Lol you get plenty of timid weather, your winter is mostly 50F. Speaking of that, the GF had an offer accepted on a house in SC so I'll likely be moving down late spring/early summer.
Nice. It varies. This winter it's been 20's every week for 4 weeks in a row now. Kills the bugs lol. But they're racing this weekend. High 43 and freezing rain? Um no thanks to that esp in the open trailer. The wife would die lol.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Haha I was in SC all last week and the worst it got was 40F during the day one day, most other days were in the 50s. The week after Christmas they were in the 60s. We've been single digits most of the past week in MI lol.

I'm excited for the move. The house has a 30x40 shop so plenty of space for all of our (mostly mine) junk. Will likely be finalizing the move after Gridlife's midwest event here at Gingerman in June. Only 1.5 hours from Rd Atl, 2.5 hours from AMP and CMP, under 5 hours from VIR, Barber and Roebling Road. Man Rd Atl events are expensive lol
Old Jan 13, 2022, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, PM the address. Quite the commitment without the .......commitment :P
Old Jan 13, 2022, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Call it 4" for the Exhaust hanger attachment and 3" for the fuser. Hence why I keep going back to a folding design
Old Jan 13, 2022, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Cool, PM the address. Quite the commitment without the .......commitment :P
House still has some more inspections to go through but once everything is finalized and she has keeps I'll send it. Haha you're not the first to say that, but I'm not making a commitment like that until I know we can live under the same roof without issues. The only feasible alternative was for me to buy a place down there...

Call it 4" for the Exhaust hanger attachment and 3" for the fuser. Hence why I keep going back to a folding design
If it's going to stick way down then I think an alternate design would be best. I was thinking a similar bracket to what I showed but instead of a large hole for the straps to clip into, a threaded hole for a tow hook to be installed. Would get an attachment point low enough and be easily installed/uninstalled. Could use a basic loop like this:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/im.../2359-2008.JPG

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023