Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Outside of tire turning blue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
How can you assure that? I run -3.8 camber and 29psi HOT in the front on my EvoX. No problem with roll over. This is my autox set up, not track day set up. IMO his pressures are already too high and the camber borderline low on the drivers side. What wheel width are these 275s on?

Regarding the uneven camber. Obviously make sure you check the knuckle connection by loosening it up and pushing the wheel in as far as you can. Make sure you leave 3-4mm towards the strut side. Could be a simple fix, but im not sure how "slotted" the MCS holes are.

I usually going out 29psi cold and i definitely feel roll. I have the 275's on 10" wheels.

Thats about all the clearance I have LOL. I will double check it though.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

see post 27....

Last edited by xBoostx; Apr 27, 2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like your ride height is really low. RC correction kit? If not, def raise that car up to help eliminate the dive. Also seems like you have very little droop travel, but it could just be the sway bar setting.

I would honestly try to raise it up and if you are punishing the front outsides, more camber, less bar. Is the car pushy?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by xBoostx
It could be my RE71Rs paired with ST45's being making that much fowards force.

I honestly have no idea LOL. Im still learning and trying to dial in the suspension. I figured that the sway bar helps keep the opposite side tire on the ground when one tire is having most of the weight transferred towards it.

I think NT01's and ST43's produce nearly the same braking force...

How can you assure that? I run -3.8 camber and 29psi HOT in the front on my EvoX. No problem with roll over. This is my autox set up, not track day set up. IMO his pressures are already too high and the camber borderline low on the drivers side. What wheel width are these 275s on?

Regarding the uneven camber. Obviously make sure you check the knuckle connection by loosening it up and pushing the wheel in as far as you can. Make sure you leave 3-4mm towards the strut side. Could be a simple fix, but im not sure how "slotted" the MCS holes are.
No rollover at 29psi hot? Maybe because you're running Hoosier camber. That pressure is way outside of optimum. I wonder how much your car would liven if you ran more air pressure and less camber to prevent tread rollover, as opposed to a lot of camber and lower air pressure.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

No rollover at 29psi hot? Maybe because you're running Hoosier camber. That pressure is way outside of optimum. I wonder how much your car would liven if you ran more air pressure and less camber to prevent tread rollover, as opposed to a lot of camber and lower air pressure.
Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't know you. How much experience with autocrossing on Rivals/Stones do you have? Ask some of the top guys winning nationals in any class about these tires. Better yet try it yourself. Many go as low as mid 20s, most around high 20s on proper camber cars. Limited camber cars go anywhere from low to mid 30s.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The R7/A7 pressure debate is still up in the air from what I've heard. I've seen some guys running 30 hot and swear up and down it's slick like grip. Then some others run the recomm'd 40 hot and claim it's not as comfortable but way faster.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't know you. How much experience with autocrossing on Rivals/Stones do you have? Ask some of the top guys winning nationals in any class about these tires. Better yet try it yourself. Many go as low as mid 20s, most around high 20s on proper camber cars. Limited camber cars go anywhere from low to mid 30s.
I don't have much recent experience with autocross, stopped going after I could way more seat time per dollar with track days last year. But a tire is a tire. I can literally feel my NT01's stiffen up as they come up to temp from 27-28psi cold, to 38-40psi hot on track. Same thing for the re71's that I had on the car for one event and then sold.

It may be driver preference, but I simply am not sold on the low pressure train of thought. And neither is my chassis set up guy (Eladio, H1 Performance), who has a lot of autocross experience. When I did autocross, it was on Dunlop Z2's, and I ran about 36 hot. Was always good enough to be within 1 second of another guy in ASP on NT01's on a 60 second course.

Please don't take anything I'm saying as destructive criticism to your setup. I think we just have 2 different schools of thought here.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have much recent experience with autocross, stopped going after I could way more seat time per dollar with track days last year. But a tire is a tire. I can literally feel my NT01's stiffen up as they come up to temp from 27-28psi cold, to 38-40psi hot on track. Same thing for the re71's that I had on the car for one event and then sold.

It may be driver preference, but I simply am not sold on the low pressure train of thought. And neither is my chassis set up guy (Eladio, H1 Performance), who has a lot of autocross experience. When I did autocross, it was on Dunlop Z2's, and I ran about 36 hot. Was always good enough to be within 1 second of another guy in ASP on NT01's on a 60 second course.

Please don't take anything I'm saying as destructive criticism to your setup. I think we just have 2 different schools of thought here.
It appears alot has changed. If you are curious for yourself about what works in 2016/2017 simply google the GRM tire shootout articles.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

I have experience with re71 at low pressure. Do not want, whether its hot or cold.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I would lean to agree on higher pressures. Rolling on the sidewall is no good. And thats what i feel at lower pressures on this heavy car

I correctly added the video up top. Check out how the car reacts.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Seems like your ride height is really low. RC correction kit? If not, def raise that car up to help eliminate the dive. Also seems like you have very little droop travel, but it could just be the sway bar setting.

I would honestly try to raise it up and if you are punishing the front outsides, more camber, less bar. Is the car pushy?
Raising the ride height would increase CG and make it body roll more easily.
The car is pushy at low speeds.

I agree

Originally Posted by Balrok
The R7/A7 pressure debate is still up in the air from what I've heard. I've seen some guys running 30 hot and swear up and down it's slick like grip. Then some others run the recomm'd 40 hot and claim it's not as comfortable but way faster.
I guess that remains driver preference. In my case it does induce tire rollover at low pressures.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

I was going over some video from this weekend and my front end is diving hard even mid corner. Im also 3 wheeling at like 20 mph hard turns. check out the video below.

Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
That looks like a completely reasonable amount if inside lift.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
That looks like a completely reasonable amount if inside lift.
I have seen worse as well LOL. Do you see how much action in the front though, both up and down? Im gonna go with MCS's suggestion to increase front spring rate. This car is heavy.
Old May 13, 2017, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: I increased the front spring rate and increased tire pressure and the car changed completely! I had much more grip, no rolling on the sidewall and much less dive.

Props to Lex a MCS for the spring rate increase suggestion and the guys here for helping me realize that more tire pressure is the way to go on this car. Thats why its good to talk to fellow track guys. I remember the tire feedback feeling great with higher pressure but thought is would hinder grip. Learning lessons that dont cost money are awesome!

BTW! No tire blue on my sidewall after pressure increase!

Last edited by xBoostx; May 13, 2017 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Outside of tire turning blue