Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

MRLS 90dB sound limit: will pass?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The ground absorbs some of the sound. When the sound waves reflect off the ground, they reflect with a percentage of their original energy. Thus reducing sound..
Old May 23, 2017, 01:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
There's a LOT of people that got it all wrong.

Old May 23, 2017, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
All I have is the exhaust listed above. I don't foresee myself being able to get another muffler installed, but we'll see.

I assume tips are up to keep noise from reverberating off the ground, but I could be wrong.
I would assume you'll be fine with what you've got there. I think the reason for pointing up is exactly as you say.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 09:35 PM
kaj

I'm trying to get my car quiet enough to run Sonoma and Laguna Seca. A very unscientific test (dB meter at side of road) shows I'm right around 93dB at full tilt, in 3rd gear.
While researching options, I came across a sprial-flow bullet muffler from Moroso that the GASS guys use to run at Sonoma. I'm also looking at two mufflers that have an offset inlet and centered outlet. Both are physically larger than my current straight-through Magnaflow using a L x W x H method. 617-681" vs the 616" of my Magnaflow.

I also have a 4" 90-degree bend to clamp onto the muffler for Laguna Seca, but if I can NOT use it, that would be greeeeat. Plus that wouldn't solve my problem at Sonoma.

I'm okay with loosing some power, running less boost, etc as long as I can pass without having to lift, worry, blah blah.

So, has anyone had success with any of these items?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm trying to get my car quiet enough to run Sonoma and Laguna Seca. A very unscientific test (dB meter at side of road) shows I'm right around 93dB at full tilt, in 3rd gear.
While researching options, I came across a sprial-flow bullet muffler from Moroso that the GASS guys use to run at Sonoma. I'm also looking at two mufflers that have an offset inlet and centered outlet. Both are physically larger than my current straight-through Magnaflow using a L x W x H method. 617-681" vs the 616" of my Magnaflow.

I also have a 4" 90-degree bend to clamp onto the muffler for Laguna Seca, but if I can NOT use it, that would be greeeeat. Plus that wouldn't solve my problem at Sonoma.

I'm okay with loosing some power, running less boost, etc as long as I can pass without having to lift, worry, blah blah.

So, has anyone had success with any of these items?
I don't think you'll have a problem. I never got flagged with my HKS at 93db. I don't think you need the laguna pipe but bring it just in case.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Damn neighbors. If you don't want noise don't move into a neighborhood by a track. If you don't want 5 kinds of cancer, don't move next to a xyz plant.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Damn neighbors. If you don't want noise don't move into a neighborhood by a track. If you don't want 5 kinds of cancer, don't move next to a xyz plant.
Hard agree.

Also, 90dB is ridiculous. You literally couldn't take a lot of factory stock cars to that track day.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I don't think you'll have a problem. I never got flagged with my HKS at 93db. I don't think you need the laguna pipe but bring it just in case.
Which HKS exhaust? I am 99% sure mine is way over 93db at WOT. I have the HKS Ti, the one with the carbon muffler.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:10 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Hard agree.

Also, 90dB is ridiculous. You literally couldn't take a lot of factory stock cars to that track day.
Even CHP allows 92dB 😂

I'm not certain I can make the 90dB without causing problems. I'm super paranoid about back pressure.

I believe Sonoma is kinder than LS, so I *think* I'll be okay there.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
It all depends on where the sound check station is located.

Most track guys just run a "Laguna pipe" which will point in the opposite direction of the sound station

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 28, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 01:26 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
It all depends on where the sound station check is located.

Most track guys just run a "Laguna pipe" which will point in the opposite direction of the sound station
Allegedly, they have someone who occasionally roams the course with a portable. It hasn't been confirmed, so I dunno for sure.

Otherwise it's to the right of one of the turns, so my LS pipe should help with that one.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

IIRC Sonoma is pretty hardcore and does have a guy with a sound meter going to random points on track.

Kaj,at what distance are you at 93dB? If that's at 10ft, it'll be much lower at 50ft.
The following users liked this post:
Bensant3 (Mar 1, 2020)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 02:09 PM
kaj

IIRC Sonoma is pretty hardcore and does have a guy with a sound meter going to random points on track.

Kaj,at what distance are you at 93dB? If that's at 10ft, it'll be much lower at 50ft.

I believe I googled the distance of the meter from the track at LS and placed the meter that distance from the side of the road. I then went by at WOT in 3rd gear. Definitely not a scientifically sound method, especially seeing that the mic at LS is actually aimed up the track, right at our exhaust.
Fun bit of trivia: ambient noise at the track with NO vehicles is already 53dB Also, in 2008, it was confirmed they had a roaming meter to catch people that would while passing the booth.

Sonoma seems to be 96dB, so I think I'll be okay there.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Which HKS exhaust? I am 99% sure mine is way over 93db at WOT. I have the HKS Ti, the one with the carbon muffler.
That's the exact one I was running. Never been flagged at Laguna, although I haven't run at Sonoma with that exhaust. Running a Tanabe Medallion now, much quieter.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

How close are these guys getting to the track? The db level falls off pretty rapidly with distance, sound may only be a big issue with large straight-through exhaust systems.

Quick Reply: MRLS 90dB sound limit: will pass?