Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track safety check: common failure points?

Old Jul 5, 2017, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
yeah, a lithium jump pack has come in handy a few times especially when using small battery
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Oh yeah, front O2 sensors. Those seem to go dead on me after 2 track days. Luckily they're only $50 from rock auto.
Seriously? Do you run leaded gas? I've literally never changed front 02 sensors out on my cars.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Get tbolt clamps.
ABA worm clamps are better
Old Jul 6, 2017, 05:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, which are really helpful, even though now I'm afraid to go back to the track!

Is there a concern with the coolant overflow, other than having it overfull? Mine goes higher than usual at the track after I park it, but no where near overflowing.

I have never replaced my front O2 either and I easily have dozens of track days on it. It did put heat shielding around it though and my O2 is coated.

For wheel bearings, do they usually wobble when they need replacing, or are they great until they come apart?

Please keep the responses coming!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 05:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
So, no one has had suspension bolts loosen up? Sounds like the vast majority of issues have been engine and wheel bearings?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:33 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
ABA worm clamps are better
I've been searching for a good set. Expensive, though. More than t-clamps..

OP: a lot of the issues we've listed aren't common, just possible problems.
I've never had suspension components come loose, coolant overflow, battery die, O2 sensor go bad etc. Not to say it's not possible, because it obviously is. LOL. I just don't hear that happening a lot, though all the people I track with drive moderately-tuned cars, nothing too extreme.

I mentioned the clamps/ic couplings popping loose because it seems to be common.

Our cars are pretty solid. Unless you are making 500+whp, you are fine. Don't have stress and go have fun!

P.S. 130k on wheel bearings. I run 255 wide, 100-200tw tires, so again: nothing too extreme.
​​​​

Last edited by kaj; Jul 6, 2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

i have seen strut bolt to knuckle on the front come lose, but not on my car.

you will hear wheel bearing when they start to go bad, hopefully before catastrophic failure. but i have seen complete hub failure and wheels breaking off. these guys do a lot of track and run on rcomp tires. you will hear a howling sound during cornering, that means wheel bearings starting to go bad. it's usually the left rear, if you do a lot of clockwise track. i have replace the left rear twice and the fronts only once.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I have saved several cars at the track with all the spare silicon couplers I carry. It seems like always the cheap/simple **** breaks.

Speaking of couplers, anyone use these Vanjan clamps? I kinda wanna replace all my silicone hoses with them (wiggins cost to much, these aint cheap either though)

Anyone ever lose an axle? I want to hunt some down for my track spare box.

Last edited by Kidloco51; Jul 6, 2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

i've only heard of axle breaking at autox during launch or drag strip.

i put heat wrap around the turbo outlet coupler, since its so close to the downpipe, the heat could weaken them. i've had one fail at that spot before i put heat wrap on it. i just use gold foil tape because i had that laying around.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Seriously? Do you run leaded gas? I've literally never changed front 02 sensors out on my cars.
Maybe it's the cheap $50 sensors instead of an OEM one? This last one has done 3 track days, so I guess we'll see.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 08:26 AM
kaj

Maybe it's the cheap $50 sensors instead of an OEM one? This last one has done 3 track days, so I guess we'll see.
Those should be fine, though. I get mine from Rock Auto. I think they are Denso, but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Idk, I don't run leaded fuel. I do run Torco octane booster when I run pump gas on the street. Maybe that does it, and it just happens that the sensor fails shortly after track days.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:08 AM
kaj

Idk, I don't run leaded fuel. I do run Torco octane booster when I run pump gas on the street. Maybe that does it, and it just happens that the sensor fails shortly after track days.
Hm.... maybe that "orange stuff"? I used to run it during track days and autocrossess when I was on pump gas, also. That was not very often and I ran a lot, without it, in between. I wonder if that's what it is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I have saved several cars at the track with all the spare silicon couplers I carry. It seems like always the cheap/simple **** breaks.

Speaking of couplers, anyone use these Vanjan clamps? I kinda wanna replace all my silicone hoses with them (wiggins cost to much, these aint cheap either though)

Anyone ever lose an axle? I want to hunt some down for my track spare box.
we use these clamps after having a couple hillclimb runs ruined due to blown off couplers.

http://hargettprecision.com/index.ph...piece-qdc.html

Name:  D4D97DBF-FBDF-4A26-B81A-9E27F20CEB1D_zps94rkj8fq.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  267.0 KB

super easy to use - seal great and no chance of blowing off. then use vband for most connections.

we pack spare axles just in case.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I've been searching for a good set. Expensive, though. More than t-clamps..
​​​​
West Marine carries them. It just so happens there is one two blocks from me. The perks of living on an island I guess.

I do run Torco octane booster when I run pump gas on the street. Maybe that does it, and it just happens that the sensor fails shortly after track days.
That could do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track safety check: common failure points?