Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track safety check: common failure points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:48 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
we use these clamps after having a couple hillclimb runs ruined due to blown off couplers.

http://hargettprecision.com/index.ph...piece-qdc.html

super easy to use - seal great and no chance of blowing off. then use vband for most connections.

we pack spare axles just in case.
Sexy! But the price point of worm-drive clamps is so much less LOL. Plus, I'd never pass smog with them.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
I find if you race on a bumpy track the lower suspension arm bolts can back off over time.

Weve also had issues with the power steer pressure line backing off which started a fire. small vacuum hoses can be a pain and blow off. we cable tie all ours where possible but still happens sometimes. boost leaks r a major headache. apart from majors like blown diffs etc we havnt really had much.

Oh the one other thing we had alot of issues with before upgrading brakes was melting the front wheel speed sensors due to brakes getting too hot. but we talking 430kw atw race car so pretty extreme.

Also if ur cars low re route the wiring looms inside the guards or cover them with an aluminium shroud as when ur front wheels load up the tyres chaff through the wires and you will lose your active diffs and front wheel speeds.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 04:13 PM
kaj

Speed sensors for the ABS? I'm kinda surprised you would still be using them. Mine have heat shields with gold tape on them. They cover my ABS sensors and ball joints. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 03:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Ive ditched ABS but they are also used by AYC and ACD to judge the speed of each wheel and adjust the clutch packs. so without them you get an AYC/ ACD Fault mode and open diffs

I really need to ditch the AYC and go RS rear but its gona cost like $4000 for me to do it

JDM spec evo btw not USDM

I now have some special aircraft engine stuff which has like an asbestos lining over them but its the sensor itself that was melting. My new brakes keep temps down now anyway so not a major issue now.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 08:07 PM
kaj

OOOOOOOOOOOh. That makes sense.