Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Good wet track day street tire?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 04:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Good wet track day street tire?

I’m looking to get a set of street tires for my Evo that will serve as my rainy day track tires. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I bought some RE71s for that exact purpose. They replaced my old RA1s which work pretty awesome at full tread in rain but are too tall in the 275. I went with the 265 RE71 vs the 285 just cause it was cheaper.

The other option is Conti DW. They are magic in heavy water but absolutely terrible in the dry.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I bought some RE71s for that exact purpose. They replaced my old RA1s which work pretty awesome at full tread in rain but are too tall in the 275. I went with the 265 RE71 vs the 285 just cause it was cheaper.

The other option is Conti DW. They are magic in heavy water but absolutely terrible in the dry.
Do you mean the RE71R tire that everyone autocrosses on? Or another more tame tire? I would have thought the R’s would hydroplane fairly easily. I think the current Conti replacment for the DWs is the “extremecontact sport”, which Tire Rack said we’re good in wet, though it seems that maybe the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are even better in both dry and wet based on their testing. I’m kind of leaning in the Michelin direction since they are such good road tires too.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Well I guess you'd have to clarify wet vs heavy standing water. If the ground is wet because off/on rain then the RE71r is awesome. Even in heavy rain autox they seem to be pretty good too. For really heavy rain, I probably wouldnt change tires to my DWs (I have both right now).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Well I guess you'd have to clarify wet vs heavy standing water. If the ground is wet because off/on rain then the RE71r is awesome. Even in heavy rain autox they seem to be pretty good too. For really heavy rain, I probably wouldnt change tires to my DWs (I have both right now).
Okay. I'm really thinking track and highway conditions with steady rain. I've had the Evo almost get away from me on the interstate in rain just driving to the track because of my current ZII's. Basically, to avoid any chance of hydroplaning I need to keep it at 50-55 or below. On the track, even at a casual HPDE, that's way too slow to just keep up with normal traffic. I'd like to be able to cruise at 75-100 in the rain (in a straight line) without worry. I'm not worried about getting competitive lap times in the rain...I just don't want to end up in the ditch! But I also don't want squishy all-seasons, of course. My plan would be to bring an extra set of tires to the track, so I could switch if it dried out.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did. I was looking into this maybe 5-6 years back and just couldn't seem find anything that would really work. We need them here in the NW if you track past Sept or before May with some of the tracks having standing water in certain places or heck even driving on the highway to the track. I solved the problem by shortening my season into the months we get the most dry

I've been with the RE series for a while and any tire like that whereby just by looking at the tread you need to ask "how is this going to help move water out of the way" then that can't be a real serious rain option. Best bet is going to be "performance" all seasons.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
My AD08R's did great in the crazy rain we had a couple years back here in the Bay Area. This was also back when I was daily driving my Evo and had a 40 mile each way commute. I drove through some crazy down pours on the highway with no issues. Enough rain to flood and close down parts of the highways here in the bay area so I would probably second guess going out on track if it's raining that heavy.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:15 PM
EvoM Guru

My story on the Conti DW is that I was on an old set of Kumho 710s at an event that was sunny for first session but the skies darkened as I was getting my car to grid to run. Before we even started, it started dumping biblical rain and hail where we had at least 1/2" standing water everywhere with more in the deep areas. I had no choice but to make a run on the 710s which are notorious for needing heat. It did not go well. I drove immediately to grid and swapped to the Conti DW's and back to grid (in the rain but record time for that swap solo) in time to make my next run.

Caveat, the first session was in the full dry so regardless of their setups and drivers, they had a huge advantage. So I take off for my first run on the DWs and into the first sweeper it just held and held doing something I couldnt imagine possible with this much water. So I just attacked. Came in, Top time of day, but a good margin. 2nd run on course, 1st run on these tires. After that, the water started draining and got lower and lower. Guess what, I got slower. Some how, these magic tires work when more water is present like some sort of boat rudder. I never could match the first run and as the course dried nearly fully with sun, I had slowed considerably.

I wouldnt recommend the DW for a wet day, but if you have huuuuuge water, they are some kind of miracle worker.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40/17 300 AA A on my 2005 as daily driver tires and track tires because I am too lazy to change them. Mainly run MidOhio. Very very good dry tire, only Kuhmo XS was a better dry grip "street" tire. And the instructors said the same, the old Kuhmo XS was always 2 seconds faster than the subsequent Dunlop Star Spec, Goodyear and current Cooper performance tires they are running. Give the Michelins two laps to warm up or you will slide, but they get better as the session goes on during a 20-25 minute session. Grip well when hot, although most of my track days are spring and fall when air temps are 60-70 degrees. Run about 38 psi hot in the tires.

As for rain, MidOhio is slick when it rains, these tires are great. All Michelin tires I have run on my various cars and trucks have always been awesome in the rain, the old X-one, LTX, etc. Anxious to try the Pilot 4s, I tire rack tests say its better. Always been tempted to try the RE-71 just for a dry track day tire, but some people say they get greasy and slick after a few hard laps. The are better for 2 minute autocross runs, not 20 minute track runs.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
My R-S4s seemed to do really well.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I’m going to have to disagree that the pilot sports are good tires on track in the dry. I think they are one of the most over hyped tires, I blame Smoking Tire.

They are horrible on track if you are at any decent pace experience wise compared to pretty much any uhp tire out currently. The star specs, ad08r, etc are leagues better.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:02 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I’m going to have to disagree that the pilot sports are good tires on track in the dry. I think they are one of the most over hyped tires, I blame Smoking Tire.

They are horrible on track if you are at any decent pace experience wise compared to pretty much any uhp tire out currently. The star specs, ad08r, etc are leagues better.
Agreed. I see a lot of people that swear by them but data and lap times don't back any of it up.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Keep the feedback coming! I’m not looking for a dry or damp weather tire. I already have that covered. I’m looking for a good tire when it is raining and there are PUDDLES! I do like the MPSS’s on the street on my Cayman and if they work well in rain I might go that way for the Evo for everything but fair weather track and autocross.
Old May 3, 2018, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
My AD08R's did great in the crazy rain we had a couple years back here in the Bay Area. This was also back when I was daily driving my Evo and had a 40 mile each way commute. I drove through some crazy down pours on the highway with no issues. Enough rain to flood and close down parts of the highways here in the bay area so I would probably second guess going out on track if it's raining that heavy.
^^^^^
these
Old May 4, 2018, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyo R1R are a great rain tire.