Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Spinning front, inside tire.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 03:41 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I've only ever had to replace one. I'd like to have spares, just in case. I tend to stock stuff like this for myself or others in my area that need parts ASAP.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Later this year I'm going to be switching to an OSG rear diff. I know my TRE is pretty old at this point and supposedly the OSG has some interesting lockup characteristics. Plus friends with it seem to always rave.

I would already have it, but I dont want to change too many things at once so will probably be mid-ish season.

So, I inquired with a reputable transmission shop, about what sort of cost would be incurred to have them install a Cusco LSD in the transfer case. This is what I received:

"While the Cusco rear LSD is a good proven unit, I will not install their front diff into a transfer case. Ive had had multiple issues with the front LSD’s ,splines not fitting together and Certain ones allow the transmission oil to run straight through into the transfer case causing ring and pinion failure among other issues. So we will not even consider them for the front.

However, I can offer a wavetrac helical LSD for the T-case which is the strongest available, and I rarely see one fail. These are $975. If the transfer case ring and pinion are OK, I charge $349 for the basic rebuild which includes new seals, bolt upgrade etc. and the wavetrac can be installed at that time. "

Thoughts?

Since OSG doesn't make a front LSD for the evo - nor plans to, I may go the ATS route, but it's hard to justify that price.

Do you like your Mfactory front diff? Was it a noticeable difference? I'm just trying to gauge whether it's truly worth spending this sort of coin for the LSD up front?!

Last edited by LV///R; Jan 7, 2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
So, I inquired with a reputable transmission shop, about what sort of cost would be incurred to have them install a Cusco LSD in the transfer case. This is what I received:

"While the rear LSD is a good proven unit, I will not install their front diff into a transfer case. Ive had had multiple issues with the front LSD’s ,splines not fitting together and Certain ones allow the transmission oil to run straight through into the transfer case causing ring and pinion failure among other issues. So we will not even consider them for the front.

However, I can offer a wavetrac helical LSD for the T-case which is the strongest available, and I rarely see one fail. These are $975. If the transfer case ring and pinion are OK, I charge $349 for the basic rebuild which includes new seals, bolt upgrade etc. and the wavetrac can be installed at that time. "

Thoughts?

Since OSG doesn't make a front LSD for the evo - nor plans to, I may go the ATS route, but it's hard to justify that price.

Do you like your Mfactory front diff? Was it a noticeable difference? I'm just trying to gauge whether it's truly worth spending this sort of coin for the LSD up front?!
Not sure who you talked to and which diff manufacturer they were referring to but I haven't heard 1 negative on the Cusco front. I know a few with the ATS carbon front that also seem to have a great experience. On the OSG front, they tried to make one but for whatever reason they had to compromise things to get the assembly to fit our t-case. I heard they had to massively cut down bolt heads and they tended to pop the heads off. Then they probably decided it wasn't worth the R&D effort.

I've had OEM, wavetrac, and Mfactory (setup 1way, 60% of clutches engaged). There is no question, if you have high steering angles then the 1way clutch is the way to go. Its a bummer the mfactory isn't available anymore but knowing what I know now, I would just spend the extra on the cusco without that option. Now this is for AX use where we have high steering angles and high engine braking loads where I think it really becomes necessary. If you are purely track or just AX casually, the wavetrac will be perfectly suitable.

The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jan 7, 2019)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Not sure who you talked to and which diff manufacturer they were referring to but I haven't heard 1 negative on the Cusco front. I know a few with the ATS carbon front that also seem to have a great experience. On the OSG front, they tried to make one but for whatever reason they had to compromise things to get the assembly to fit our t-case. I heard they had to massively cut down bolt heads and they tended to pop the heads off. Then they probably decided it wasn't worth the R&D effort.

I've had OEM, wavetrac, and Mfactory (setup 1way, 60% of clutches engaged). There is no question, if you have high steering angles then the 1way clutch is the way to go. Its a bummer the mfactory isn't available anymore but knowing what I know now, I would just spend the extra on the cusco without that option. Now this is for AX use where we have high steering angles and high engine braking loads where I think it really becomes necessary. If you are purely track or just AX casually, the wavetrac will be perfectly suitable.

I edited my original post. I was in talks with them about the Cusco front and rear diffs. I'm unsure I should name the shop, but it's one of the big two that deal with evos. I did speak with OSG USA and they said they scrapped any plans of going forward with the front diff, so that will rule them out.

I'm also confused about the Mfactory situation then. I literally asked them if they had front diffs available for the Evo (via their messaging service on their site) and they said YES and that I could use the evo VII (7) diff with no problems...

I'll be using this car as an autox only car with limited street miles (to and from autox's mainly).

Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

And to go further one more step:

MFactory $9XX for a front differential (IF that is legit info that the individual on the website told me)
ATS $2,XXX+ for a front differential.
Cusco $1337 for a front differential + shipping from Japan

The question of the day is, is the ATS truly worth 2x the price of a Mfactory?!?!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
And to go further one more step:

MFactory $9XX for a front differential (IF that is legit info that the individual on the website told me)
ATS $2,XXX+ for a front differential.
Cusco $1337 for a front differential + shipping from Japan

The question of the day is, is the ATS truly worth 2x the price of a Mfactory?!?!
That's the cheapest I've seen for the Cusco, didn't know you could get it direct that much cheaper than listed from US websites. I would 100% go that route. One of the most used and abuse autocross cars I know of runs the cusco front diff and has for at least 5 years. Last I asked, theyve pulled to inspect the clutch discs a few times and just put it back together cause they dont seem to wear out. If there was a better option, they would have it. If there was another option, they probably tried it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

That's the cheapest I've seen for the Cusco, didn't know you could get it direct that much cheaper than listed from US websites. I would 100% go that route. One of the most used and abuse autocross cars I know of runs the cusco front diff and has for at least 5 years. Last I asked, theyve pulled to inspect the clutch discs a few times and just put it back together cause they dont seem to wear out. If there was a better option, they would have it. If there was another option, they probably tried it.

RHDJapan is where I'm quoting that price. Shipping is ridiculous, plus the payment fee, so it'll most likely end up being around $1500 to my door. I already ordered the Cusco 141FG (1.0 way) rear from them among other parts. I think the rear was only $7XX + plus shipping/fee so still under $900 to your door. Unfortunately it's back ordered til the end of the month, but I won't be getting in the drivers seat of this car anytime soon!

Would you happen to know what front diff part number that car uses? Is it the Type RS LSD 450 C (1.0 way)??? If so that would put my fears to rest and I'd just go that route instead of the insanely priced ATS.

Last edited by LV///R; Jan 7, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:46 AM
kaj

Holy crap, that is cheap for a Cusco rear diff. I'm not sure I've ever seen one under $1200. Unless it's a different model ,that is.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Holy crap, that is cheap for a Cusco rear diff. I'm not sure I've ever seen one under $1200. Unless it's a different model ,that is.
All of the different variants of the Cusco rears are about the same price on that website! RHD Japan differentials - Evo

They were offering a 7% discount at the time I ordered (seems its gone now and that was just a day or two ago). Either way, it's still well under a $1000 without any discount. Looks like $787 is their normal pricing on the website for the Type RS REAR diffs. So somewhere around $900ish shipped/paying with CC.

Now whether I actually get this thing or not, is still in question, haha! I've read good things about this place and if it goes smoothly, I'll be ordering the front diff in the near future.

Last edited by LV///R; Jan 7, 2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I think 450F is the right one for ACD Evo 9.
If you don't have ACD, than could be 450C.

As Dallas commented, its incredible to hear anything negative about Cusco.
I would not put too much stock into that, the world is full of Cusco LSDs, Evos in UK, Australia, NZ, Japan, and more, almost exclusively use Cusco..while Rally guys in EU are regulated to only Ralliart.

Honestly, $1500 to your door is not terrible price on Cusco, meanwhile many track guys equally swear by Wavetrac..including some top TA teams with 700-800-900whp...

I use Wavetrac in DD Evo and cannot tell its there, whatever it does, it is "road smooth".
But Cusco plated you'll know its there, so if you track performance is priority than of course, but if road smoothness is important, maybe Wavetrac is a better compromise
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:02 PM
kaj

Plated front diffs seem to be a no-no for road course work but excellent for autox.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm not sure where that Cusco comment came from, it does not match my experience with the 450f. I've had 2 ATS front diffs explode. first was a spider gear failure, 2nd was a housing failure that destroyed the entire transfer case. Currently have a wavetrac only because I can't afford the non-acd cusco front diff.

I also had one of the prototype osgiken front diffs, it's a shame they didn't pursue a production design.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Plated front diffs seem to be a no-no for road course work but excellent for autox.

Originally Posted by griceiv
I'm not sure where that Cusco comment came from, it does not match my experience with the 450f. I've had 2 ATS front diffs explode. first was a spider gear failure, 2nd was a housing failure that destroyed the entire transfer case. Currently have a wavetrac only because I can't afford the non-acd cusco front diff.

I also had one of the prototype osgiken front diffs, it's a shame they didn't pursue a production design.
That's interesting, the RS/365 guys swear up and down about the ATS clutch type stuff. For what it matters, I love my wavetrac for the track and have zero complaints with it, but I'd be lying if I said I'm at least curious to see how a clutch type up front would change the behavior of the car.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
The ATS performed well, I just couldn't open the pocket book up for a 3rd one.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 05:08 AM
EvoM Guru

I appreciate all of the comments guys! I was shocked to read that email as well when I opened it up. I've heard/read nothing bad about the Cusco differentials, until that email.

And thanks for pointing out the 450F instead of the 450C, I totally misread their spreadsheet!

Quick Reply: Spinning front, inside tire.