Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track day ECU tuning??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 04:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I just let it knock. Jk

I run E85 so it's practically impossible to knock at lower power levels unless something is WAY off.
But still possible to bust a piston if you have too much cylinder pressure!

How do you bring E85 to the track for lapping days? I’ve calculated I would burn nearly a drum in a weekend.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
AFR should go from 12.0 to mid-uppers 10's as boost comes and reaches peak. Seems like you're getting the fuel in a bit late.

0* of timing around 3500-4000 and smoothly ramping up to 11-12* by 8k should be a good starting point.

I actually made a tune earlier that was down in the 10.6-10.9 range first but figured I might be too rich and I was still getting knock. But that was with 3 degrees advance in the 3500-4000 area so I'm glad I still have room to play with.
Do you spike your fuel with race gas during track days?

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Timing depends a lot on your mods, so I'd be cautious copying others' maps. That being said, you can find a lot of examples (and dissent) in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ming-maps.html
I agree, I didn't plan on just copy/pasting someones tune I just wanted to see what others have had success with in a high heat/stress environment.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 05:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
But still possible to bust a piston if you have too much cylinder pressure!

How do you bring E85 to the track for lapping days? I’ve calculated I would burn nearly a drum in a weekend.
Cylinder pressure doesn't break pistons. Detonation causes spikes of cylinder pressure which can crack rings or ringlands. The only exception woulf be if your timing is so far off that the car is getting preignition and creates so much heat that cylinder pressure pushes through the middle of the softened piston.

I bring 5 gallon jugs with me. Go through 20-25 gals a day roughly. Go to the mearest station and refill at the end of the day.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i saw a little bit of knock on my 3rd gear pulls map - tuner said it was likely the egr leaking, hence i'm addressing that next. if it still knocks after that, we'll pull back some timing, but otherwise i'm only running 24psi, minor bolt ons ~310hp so i'd be surprised if it's that much strain
Old Jun 19, 2019, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtletron
I actually made a tune earlier that was down in the 10.6-10.9 range first but figured I might be too rich and I was still getting knock. But that was with 3 degrees advance in the 3500-4000 area so I'm glad I still have room to play with.
Do you spike your fuel with race gas during track days?I agree, I didn't plan on just copy/pasting someones tune I just wanted to see what others have had success with in a high heat/stress environment.
I don't run pump gas at the track, 3* at 20psi should be ok-ish. How much knock it it have? Maybe try 1* at 3500, and 3 or 4* by 4500.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
i saw a little bit of knock on my 3rd gear pulls map - tuner said it was likely the egr leaking, hence i'm addressing that next. if it still knocks after that, we'll pull back some timing, but otherwise i'm only running 24psi, minor bolt ons ~310hp so i'd be surprised if it's that much strain
Check to see how many counts of knock it actually is picking up. I write anything under 2 off as just noise or not harmful.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Check to see how many counts of knock it actually is picking up. I write anything under 2 off as just noise or not harmful.
i haven't found a way to datalog ecu knock on track, i always use laptop, won't really work out. it's random though, usually around top of 3rd or 4th, will flash the CEL a couple of times.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea my **** flashes all the time. As I said, I'm on E85 and as long as AFR looks good there's no chance in hell I'm actually knocking.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Running OE tank, we saw LOTS of knock after left handers.... pump likes to go dry there when you run under 1/2 or 1/3 tank.. ..
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:31 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
i haven't found a way to datalog ecu knock on track, i always use laptop, won't really work out. it's random though, usually around top of 3rd or 4th, will flash the CEL a couple of times.
openport 2.0 in standalone logging mode should do it.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Considering English Racing is his tuner and not some sooper dooper e-tooner, I think he should listen to Aaron on this one.

They have proven aged EGR valves can leak, hurting power by as much as 20whp and causing knock.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea my **** flashes all the time. As I said, I'm on E85 and as long as AFR looks good there's no chance in hell I'm actually knocking.
Again, he needs to listen to Aaron. Because the stock ECU has good knock control, Aaron sets the flash CEL on knock fairly high. So when it does flash, you should actually address it. Aaron knows what timing works at what boost and what AFR. He's done enough testing and tuned enough cars. Kyoo needs to follow his advice.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:45 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you REALLY don't want let your EGR leak, aside from the tune, it will torch your ISCV. These things just go bad like the throttle body shaft seals. Plan on replacing it fairly regularly (like with the timing belt) if you don't block it off. I remember a thread, probably by English, about how they started leaking at 60K ish miles.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

yea and i am - ordered the blockoff plate and will bolt that on and go back out and see how it does. if it still knocks, then we'll see what is going on with it.

my car's got about 40k on the clock, but aaron indicated it can be as much age/usage as it is straight mileage
Old Jun 19, 2019, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Again, he needs to listen to Aaron. Because the stock ECU has good knock control, Aaron sets the flash CEL on knock fairly high. So when it does flash, you should actually address it. Aaron knows what timing works at what boost and what AFR. He's done enough testing and tuned enough cars. Kyoo needs to follow his advice.
At no point have I said he should disregard what his tuner says, nor did I say a leaking EGR won't hurt anything. What I'm saying is if you have lots of octane, and there isn't a mechanical issue with the engine, it's most likely not real knock.