2019 ASP Thread - Is anybody out there? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2019 ASP Thread - Is anybody out there?

Old Dec 6, 2018, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

2019 ASP Thread - Is anybody out there?

I figured I'd try and start a thread for the upcoming 2019 season. I know the numbers were quite slim last year (10 drivers at nationals). Is there anyone new that is planning on competing in ASP for next years Nationals? Anyone planning on leaving ASP to go elsewhere?

Anyone have any big plans on what they're looking at changing with their setup/car for the upcoming year?

On a side note, last year was my first year competing at nationals in ASP. I'm on the cusp whether I'll be running in D street with a stock evo, STU or giving ASP another shot (as well as bringing a co-driver to Nats)

My plan on if I do stay with ASP, is to go to Lincoln and compete at their local events throughout the year to get a better feel for the Hoosiers (as I run on 285mm RE71rs, locally in Sioux Falls). I also want to focus on getting the weight down on the car as much as I can. But most importantly, working on the mental aspect of it as well.

Let the discussion (or crickets) begin....

Old Dec 6, 2018, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Chirp Chirp...

ASP is dead, come play in SM!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
Chirp Chirp...

ASP is dead, come play in SM!

Man, I'm already planning on spending a crap ton of money to get this thing up to spec in ASP, if I go that route. SM is on another level if you want to compete.........
Old Dec 10, 2018, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

ASP is tough cause you can do just enough to really need some of the provisions of SM. Slam the car! Oh wait, that screws everything up... Slam the rear!

The jump from top of ASP to top of SM isnt really that big of a climb though. There is a lot that can be done, but its pretty hard in general to keep up with the top of SP. I would say the biggest issue is because you can do so much, now you have to get that many more things to work together.

SM definitely has more pace to be had and I think people are starting to see that path. Next few years Im guessing we'll see the gap from ASP to SM grow.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:50 PM
EvoM Moderator

honestly i think SP is getting deader and deader-er
Old Dec 10, 2018, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't the Evo in DS now anyways ?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Isn't the Evo in DS now anyways ?
Doesnt effect its SP classsing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas J For This Useful Post:
letsgetthisdone (Dec 10, 2018)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

From North NJ here, I have been straddling between the STU/ASP class for a long time. One part of me wants to continue with the ASP path and say whatever if the class dies but STU is also very tempting but I would hate to remove the front diff.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
The jump from top of ASP to top of SM isnt really that big of a climb though.
I just laughed a little at this. =)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 03:41 PM

I'll definitely be in ASP in 2019. Would be great to have some growth in the class, but SP has been struggling as a whole.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white_turbo View Post
From North NJ here, I have been straddling between the STU/ASP class for a long time. One part of me wants to continue with the ASP path and say whatever if the class dies but STU is also very tempting but I would hate to remove the front diff.
If you go the ASP route this year, do you plan on attending Nationals?!

Originally Posted by Hoojan View Post
I'll definitely be in ASP in 2019. Would be great to have some growth in the class, but SP has been struggling as a whole.
Sounds good man! I knew you'd be staying in this class. I'm 90% sure I'll be giving it another go for 2019, but time will tell!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LV///R View Post
If you go the ASP route this year, do you plan on attending Nationals?!
I still would like to give SS another go in 2019, so most likely won't be in ASP at least until 2020. If the SS plan falls through, I may jump back to ASP mid-season.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Looking into ASP-compatible transfer-case upgrades. Most companies offer an 8mm to 10mm upgrade for the transfer case bolts.

First of all: Does anyone have an opinion about the 10mm bolt upgrade? Or is this just a waste of money at ASP or even SM power levels?

Second, I don't think the 10mm bolt upgrade is legal under the latest ruleset, even considering the reliability upgrade allowance.

Section 15.10.Q : The 10mm bolts aren't covered under this section. Specifically: The exterior of the case may not be altered in any way. Seems quite cut and dry.
Q. Limited slip differentials are permitted. This permits locked differentials either by design, welding, or mechanical means. Differential cases, internal differential parts, and axle stubs may be machined as required for clearance and installation to the extent that material may only be removed, not added, and the exterior of the case may not be altered in any way. This machining may serve no other purpose. Any other modifications or substitutions to accommodate the installation of the limited slip differential must meet the requirements of Section 15.1.B and 15.1.C.
Section 15.10.DD: Even if this applied, it still specifies that the replacement components must install without modifications to the mating part.
DD. Drivetrain components may be replaced with aftermarket components in order to improve durability and reliability. Any replaced components are subject to the following restrictions: 1. Replacement components may not be lighter than the original component. 2. Replacement components must install without modification to the mating part. 3. Replacement components may not differ from the original beyond improved strength, alternate manufacturing techniques, or replacement with larger components. Components around or connected to the replaced component may not be relocated or modified unless permitted elsewhere in section 15. 5. Internal engine components such as pistons, connecting rods, or valve train components may not be replaced under this rule. 6. Heat treatment may be used to increase the durability of an original part and the resulting part will be considered a replaced component. 7. Metal components may not be replaced with non-metal components. However a non-metal component may be replaced with a metal component. 8. Replaced components may serve no purpose other than to increase durability and reliability. This allowance is intended to improve durability without improving performance. Components are not to be replaced to allow for increased power or larger tires but to replace common component failures. For example, axle shafts or CV joints are often broken on launch. Under this rule these may be replaced with larger components or components made of stronger materials to avoid these breakages. Alternatively a vehicle may not replace a turbocharger with a larger or stronger part as this would increase the performance potential of the vehicle.
Between these two sections, I can't find any way to justify the 10mm bolt upgrade under ASP rules. Have I missed any other allowances that might all the 10mm bolt upgrade?

Or am I just wasting my time with the 10mm bolt idea in the first place.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
Looking into ASP-compatible transfer-case upgrades. Most companies offer an 8mm to 10mm upgrade for the transfer case bolts.

First of all: Does anyone have an opinion about the 10mm bolt upgrade? Or is this just a waste of money at ASP or even SM power levels?

Second, I don't think the 10mm bolt upgrade is legal under the latest ruleset, even considering the reliability upgrade allowance.

Section 15.10.Q : The 10mm bolts aren't covered under this section. Specifically: The exterior of the case may not be altered in any way. Seems quite cut and dry.

Section 15.10.DD: Even if this applied, it still specifies that the replacement components must install without modifications to the mating part.

Between these two sections, I can't find any way to justify the 10mm bolt upgrade under ASP rules. Have I missed any other allowances that might all the 10mm bolt upgrade?

Or am I just wasting my time with the 10mm bolt idea in the first place.

I would have to agree with your conclusion. The bolt upgrade doesn't seem to be legal but you're better off contacting SCCA directly and you'll have your answer for certain.

Are you planning on just doing Solo or Pro Solo as well?

Last edited by LV///R; Jan 15, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Isnt this why SM is always the answer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.