Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2019 ASP Thread - Is anybody out there?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Isnt this why SM is always the answer?
You would say that.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It doesn't increase performance, it only increases durability. I don't think re-drilling and tapping holes falls under the spirit of the rule of modifying the case. I would say it's legal.
It's a fairly standard upgrade for the transfercase. I don't think TRE even offers his rebuild without it...

And it does help. It reduces flex in the cases, keeping the contact pattern properly aligned on, increasing the service life of the ring and pinion.

Also, this is yet another reason why 700 classes and 9billion rules is lame..
Old Feb 8, 2019, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A clarification was issued in the May, 2017 Fastrack on modifications to use larger fasteners.

Member Advisories
Street Prepared
#20625 Reliability improvement clarification
Mating parts may be modified to accept alternate fasteners used to mount replacement
items allowed due to 15.8.L and 15.10.DD. Alternate fasteners must meet the same
restrictions as all other components replaced under the reliability rules.

This clarification allows the larger bolts in the transfer case.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 09:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking for a little clarification. I have read through the rules and want to make sure I am understanding properly. Are these offset bushing legal in SP?
https://www.suspension.com/superpro/duro3741k

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan
Looking for a little clarification. I have read through the rules and want to make sure I am understanding properly. Are these offset bushing legal in SP?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
believe they would be legal. Last time I checked (it has been a while though) you could add offset bushings to one end of the arm, with restriction that amount of metal doesn't exceed one from the OEM application. Also, any non metal bushing was free to use (hard poly, delrin,....).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Ryan,

This is what Doug Gill (SCCA Solo Competition Manager) stated when I asked the same question fairly recently:

"An offset bushing is allowed, but not spherical bearings (metal or polyurethane). The allowed bushing has to be of solid polyurethane construction as the original rubber bushing."
Old Jun 3, 2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by LV///R
Ryan,

This is what Doug Gill (SCCA Solo Competition Manager) stated when I asked the same question fairly recently:

"An offset bushing is allowed, but not spherical bearings (metal or polyurethane). The allowed bushing has to be of solid polyurethane construction as the original rubber bushing."

However, (correct me if I'm wrong) but the factory bearing is spherical. And they allow Spherical as long as that is what is being replaced.... From what I understand at least.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
However, (correct me if I'm wrong) but the factory bearing is spherical. And they allow Spherical as long as that is what is being replaced.... From what I understand at least.
Correct, the factory bushing is a spherical and it has to be because of the way that bushing rotates. The rules say it cant have any more metal content than original and as close as you can make an OEM replacement, I would say that fits within the spirit of the rules.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Correct, the factory bushing is a spherical and it has to be because of the way that bushing rotates. The rules say it cant have any more metal content than original and as close as you can make an OEM replacement, I would say that fits within the spirit of the rules.
That is how I understood it as well, but wanted to get some clarification. Thanks!