Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

CAE Shifter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm not sure if it's because I'm so **** about shifter feel or I'm bad at explaining these things but everyone I've had sit in my car or drive it to try the shifter says they'd spend the money on it as well. Maybe people don't realize how mediocre the stock shifter is until they've tried something better?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:08 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I'm not sure if it's because I'm so **** about shifter feel or I'm bad at explaining these things but everyone I've had sit in my car or drive it to try the shifter says they'd spend the money on it as well. Maybe people don't realize how mediocre the stock shifter is until they've tried something better?
The stock shifter is one of the worst post 2000 shifters I have owned. Even with an aftermarket shifter it was quite bad. I'm probably so hard on it because I daily a NA miata and a C6Z that has a LG shifter. The CAE feels better than my miata shifter and on par and similar to the LG shifter in my C6Z. I cannot stress enough that this thing is worth every penny if not more.

Honestly, if I could go back in time it would have been the first upgrade I would have done after the roll bar, seat and harnesses. It's just that good!

Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:18 AM
yip
Evolving Member

I have to laugh at the fact that we are hacking up this 40k mile EVO though :P

Seems like a bad financial decision :O
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Whats that switch down by your cup holder?

Thanks for the install pics, looks badass. Def want to get one, stock shifter location is way to low for me also.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:42 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Whats that switch down by your cup holder?

Thanks for the install pics, looks badass. Def want to get one, stock shifter location is way to low for me also.
It is a intercooler sprayer switch which I've never used. Seems gimicky??
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 9, 2019, 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm pretty sure they got rid of the sprayer after a year or two? What year is your car?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 03:10 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
The stock shifter is one of the worst post 2000 shifters I have owned.
I'm not sure why some of you guys have having such a bad experience with stock stuff. I've owned and/or driven an Integra Type R (no cables) and an S2000, both of which have been praised for shifter feel (they are amazing), but don't think my Evo is all that bad, in comparison. I will say: This is based on the 6spd. I've noticed my 5spd is notchy feeling in comparison, though I expect that to get better as I put miles on it. I don't feel the Evo is so bad that I'd benefit from a $1,000 shifter strictly based on feel. Subjective, of course. Not complaining that anyone here has done it :cheers:

Originally Posted by yip
I have to laugh at the fact that we are hacking up this 40k mile EVO though :P

Seems like a bad financial decision :O
Yeah, but: dude, it's a car. Cars are rarely investments for those of us that aren't millionaires. At least he's enjoying it instead of paying $20k for a garage decoration.

Last edited by kaj; Feb 9, 2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm pretty sure they got rid of the sprayer after a year or two? What year is your car?
If it's a USDM car think it was here on the '03. So guessing it's an '03?

Last edited by codgi; Feb 21, 2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 08:09 PM
yip
Evolving Member

It's an 03. I've already deleted the reservoir since we moved the intake filter down to it's location.

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm not sure why some of you guys have having such a bad experience with stock stuff. I've owned and/or driven an Integra Type R (no cables) and an S2000, both of which have been praised for shifter feel (they are amazing), but don't think my Evo is all that bad, in comparison. I will say: This is based on the 6spd. I've noticed my 5spd is notchy feeling in comparison, though I expect that to get better as I put miles on it. I don't feel the Evo is so bad that I'd benefit from a $1,000 shifter strictly based on feel. Subjective, of course. Not complaining that have done it :cheers:

Yeah, but: dude, it's a car. Cars are rarely investments for those of us that aren't millionaires. At least he's enjoying it instead of paying $20k for a garage decoration.
I think the EVO shifter/linkage is downright awful compared to a DC2 or S2000. Now that it's loosened up a bit after driving it around the last couple of days I have to say that the CAE shifter is the hands down single best modification that I've made to the car.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 08:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj

I'm not sure why some of you guys have having such a bad experience with stock stuff. I've owned and/or driven an Integra Type R (no cables) and an S2000, both of which have been praised for shifter feel (they are amazing), but don't think my Evo is all that bad, in comparison. I will say: This is based on the 6spd. I've noticed my 5spd is notchy feeling in comparison, though I expect that to get better as I put miles on it. I don't feel the Evo is so bad that I'd benefit from a $1,000 shifter strictly based on feel. Subjective, of course. Not complaining that anyone here has done it :cheers:
I wouldn't say I had bad experiences with the stock shifter but these aftermarket shifters that move the fulcrum point up are just THAT much better. No one ever takes it serious until they try it for themselves. I've owned 3 miatas, and they wonderful shifting feel cars. To this day I think the best feeling shifter I've driven was my miata with an IRP shifter (if CAE made one for a miata I'd of gone with that but IRP is the only option).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 09:50 AM
kaj

I wouldn't say I had bad experiences with the stock shifter but these aftermarket shifters that move the fulcrum point up are just THAT much better. No one ever takes it serious until they try it for themselves. I've owned 3 miatas, and they wonderful shifting feel cars. To this day I think the best feeling shifter I've driven was my miata with an IRP shifter (if CAE made one for a miata I'd of gone with that but IRP is the only option).
That makes sense and what I'd expect. If my car was done with "go faster parts" and I could focus that kind of money elsewhere, I would be in the market myself. I did raise my shifter, wrap my wheel and do some other things to help "feel", so I definitely see where y'all are coming from. From what yip is saying, the stock shifter is unlivable and the CAE shifter is the best thing since sliced bread, so I was wondering what the heck was going on. Maybe a broken stock shifter..? And to hear a shifter is the single best mod to these cars, I'm like "whaaaaaaaaa?".
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I would certainly have to try it in person to drop a grand on the shifter. I really like the idea, but its a lot of money for a feel thing. Lately Ive been feeling a bit more inclined to start saving for a quaife sequential.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:04 PM
kaj

I would certainly have to try it in person to drop a grand on the shifter. I really like the idea, but its a lot of money for a feel thing. Lately Ive been feeling a bit more inclined to start saving for a quaife sequential.
I've been considering making an allowance when I re-fi my house Bad financial decision? Yes. Worth it? Yes. Hey.. I only need another $10k. That would hardly add anything to my mortgage payment
Old Feb 10, 2019, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Want me to ship you mine to see how you like it?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
So, its the IRP considered a knock off of the CAE, or is it a legit part? $200 cheaper is quite attractive, but not if its an inferiorly made knock off. Not toe worried about the shift knob, can fix that in the lathe if it want to change it.

Quick Reply: CAE Shifter