Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Oil Pressure drop right hander question

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Whats the big hole/plate on the side for? Looks like a couple inches lol.
Old May 21, 2019, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 275 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Whats the big hole/plate on the side for? Looks like a couple inches lol.
it is for the oil level sensor... Or, better said, minimum oil level warning sensor...
Old May 21, 2019, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If thats what the customer thought they needed lol.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Curious. What happens to the internals (e.g bearings, oil galleys, etc)when pressure drops? So in my case my pressure drops to 40psi on right handers. So in this scenario do I get some metal on metal contact now since of the less pressure? Or is there still enough pressure to keep the barrier of oil between the moving parts?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Curious. What happens to the internals (e.g bearings, oil galleys, etc)when pressure drops? So in my case my pressure drops to 40psi on right handers. So in this scenario do I get some metal on metal contact now since of the less pressure? Or is there still enough pressure to keep the barrier of oil between the moving parts?
When the pressure is dropping it means you're pulling in small amount of air which has to be compressed and that's why the pressure drops. But you're still pulling in oil. Don't mistake pressure for engine safety, it's highly dependent on the oil you're running. Some oils can keep and engine alive at 15psi/7k RPM, other oils might allow for metal contact at 30psi/5k RPM. The film strength of oil is independent of the system pressure and that film strength is all dependent on the chemistry of the oil. Oil pressure is simply the indicator that the oil is being supplied to where it's needed, so if pressure is too low for too long then you're have a failure. What "too low" is, is dependent on lots of factors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ayoustin:
Bee-Raddd (Jul 1, 2019), CaptainSquirts (Jun 27, 2019)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Yup metal on metal contact. result is heat. result of that is metal goes soft. then due to it going soft the metal wears. grabs ahold of what its spinning on. e.g big end grabs ahold of the crank. and spins.

As Ayoustin said it all depends on the oil your running to what it can withstand. it also depends on age and temp of the oil etc too.

General rule of thumb ur looking for is 10psi per 1000rpm is the minimum oil pressure youd want. 40psi is pretty low however id say ur playing with fire
Old Jul 5, 2019, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts
I ordered a JUN baffled pan for my Evo X. It seems like a good deal and I will post pics when it comes in. Running pilot super sport 265s all around with 450whp. I did this because of off camber corners for HPDE. Fuel has already been addressed.