Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Finally installed my SSB rear trailing arms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Hey guys, im back and can answer a few questions now. My setup is 18x12 +32 but with a 10mm spacer. Could have probably just gone +10 but I have plans to raise the spring perch and cut sheetmetal to increase inner clearance. But the inner sheetmetal (can take a pic of where it rubs later) definitely needs to be cut and moved to get anymore inboard.

My wheels stick out right now and I have several options here of flares to cover them. I just needed to finish this last weekend testing to make sure I didnt need anymore outside cutting. Flares will go on the rear soon and fronts I need to get the splitter sorted so the flare can roll all the way down to it to act also as my tire spat.

Its not trivial going the 315 route because they're wider and taller. You have to trim A LOT more than you think. Or run tall, but I wanted to be as low as possible. But once you make the first cut, things get easier. For ride height, I would be running the equivalent of 25" ground to fender edge front rear. But then I cut the fender up 2.25" all around.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 05:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Hey guys, im back and can answer a few questions now. My setup is 18x12 +32 but with a 10mm spacer. Could have probably just gone +10 but I have plans to raise the spring perch and cut sheetmetal to increase inner clearance. But the inner sheetmetal (can take a pic of where it rubs later) definitely needs to be cut and moved to get anymore inboard.

My wheels stick out right now and I have several options here of flares to cover them. I just needed to finish this last weekend testing to make sure I didnt need anymore outside cutting. Flares will go on the rear soon and fronts I need to get the splitter sorted so the flare can roll all the way down to it to act also as my tire spat.

Its not trivial going the 315 route because they're wider and taller. You have to trim A LOT more than you think. Or run tall, but I wanted to be as low as possible. But once you make the first cut, things get easier. For ride height, I would be running the equivalent of 25" ground to fender edge front rear. But then I cut the fender up 2.25" all around.
Which flares did you decide on? I'm eyeballing a set I found for $30ish. They are about 30mm which is perfect for my setup (looking for a bit of extra coverage).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Which flares did you decide on? I'm eyeballing a set I found for $30ish. They are about 30mm which is perfect for my setup (looking for a bit of extra coverage).
The thing I learned about flares is to avoid fiberglass and poly if you can. FG is brittle, and poly distorts and warps on hot days. There are some ebay kits for ~$50 that have two big and two small ABS flares. Those ones taper at the ends though and I decided I didnt like that. So I have these non-tapering 70mm flares Im planning to use. The idea I have is to run them on the front all the way down to the splitter so the full tire is covered from the front side. And I'll cut or vent the back edge so its no a big parachute.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 06:05 PM
kaj

Nice! Yeah, I ordered the 50/70mm set. Both were way too wide for my car LOL. I can't find any that don't taper. Can you post a link, please? Not that I need 70mm, but I'll search the vendor/manufacturer.
I believe all the ones I'm shopping are the same ABS flares, in black. Definitely staying away from the FG and will keep an eye out to be sure I'm not buying poly!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 01:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
cars looking mint Kaj!

And Dallas is a wizard. His offset top hats did wonders to my laptimes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
EGbeater (Dec 15, 2023), kaj (Apr 30, 2019)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Dallas can u hurry up and update ur website i want to perve hahah
Old Apr 30, 2019, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Nice! Yeah, I ordered the 50/70mm set. Both were way too wide for my car LOL. I can't find any that don't taper. Can you post a link, please? Not that I need 70mm, but I'll search the vendor/manufacturer.
Or you could switch to 335s, and then you wouldn't have to buy new fender flares.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
cars looking mint Kaj!

And Dallas is a wizard. His offset top hats did wonders to my laptimes
Nice! Theyre such a simple thing but caster make a huge difference for our strut and high SAI cars.
The following users liked this post:
EGbeater (Dec 15, 2023)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 02:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct
Or you could switch to 335s, and then you wouldn't have to buy new fender flares.
The wear pattern would be funny. Probably half the tire would be brand new. I could flip them and start all over.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Nice! Theyre such a simple thing but caster make a huge difference for our strut and high SAI cars.
I'd like a bit more to move my wheel back some.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
The wear pattern would be funny. Probably half the tire would be brand new. I could flip them and start all over.

I'd like a bit more to move my wheel back some.
I have a fixed version I did that moves the wheel 30mm and is fixed position. But even I don't use that much offset and I can push the wheel forward more than anyone that doesn't have my control arms.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Much past 6 deg positive and I'm into bumper and voltex fender shaving.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Much past 6 deg positive and I'm into bumper and voltex fender shaving.
Welcome to my world hahahaha a battery dremel becomes ur best friend.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Welcome to my world hahahaha a battery dremel becomes ur best friend.
Found it out in March after I cut your tie rod bolts back and did the swing measurement with a buddy and was like wtf, I used to run 9 deg I thought with the offset arm bushing but I could be wrong. At 6.1 deg I can't fit a small screwdriver between the tire and the bumper...after already cutting the inside completely off with an air saw LoL.

Srsly, why do we even have stock bodies anymore, why can't someone just make a fiberglass or carbon full race kit that clips together Grand Am style.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Dallas I'm interested in your front LCA simply to move the wheel forward in the well. Did I understand you have a fixed version?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Srsly, why do we even have stock bodies anymore, why can't someone just make a fiberglass or carbon full race kit that clips together Grand Am style.
For real, my fenders and stuff are cut so much now to get full steering clearance.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Dallas I'm interested in your front LCA simply to move the wheel forward in the well. Did I understand you have a fixed version?
The two versions I have are basically standard 8/9 and a 20mm longer one that matches the X. Either arm will fit either car but after trying both I prefer to keep the standard length on my car.