Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lightweight & Quiet Exhaust

Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:03 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts
Lightweight & Quiet Exhaust

Ok, I know I know there are a million threads about exhausts on here but a lot of the info is dated and/or the focus is on quietness with no regard to weight or weight no regards to noise etc etc.

This thread has some good info but once again a lot of those systems are no longer available and even then seems it's one or the other: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...st-thread.html

I picked up a Tomei to replace my RMR catback (20# savings) but it's way too loud. Yes the weight isnt in an optimal position but if I cant find something else that is also light I would be a happy camper. Reality is I dont think I'll make sound with this setup so it'll have to go but was hoping there is a good compromise of noise reduction and weight.

For reference I need to be around 95db at 50'

Do I need to take the weight penalty or am I missing something here?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 716 Likes on 673 Posts
You could get Ti resonators from Vibrant and add them in. One in the test pipe location, and one in factory location right before the rear diff.

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...b6b29633910b54
Old Jun 10, 2019, 01:10 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

I picked up a Burns muffler to replace my test pipe and just repacked it and threw it on the car yesterday. Didnt get a chance to fire it up but I doubt it'll be enough.

Also considered the idea of getting another muffler and having it welded inline somewhere on the exhaust out back but hesitant for a couple reasons. For starters, I have no idea how much additional reduction it'll yield so its a potentially expensive endeavor. Seems most straight through mufflers are glorified resonators. Also, finding someone locally that is capable of welding Ti is an additional challenge.

I think a big issue with the Tomei is that it's very thin wall Ti which is great for weight but not so much for sound.

What are you track guys using for an exhaust? Do you not deal with noise ordinances given the tracks you run on or are you using a heavy exhaust?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I avoid noise ordinance enforced tracks. Or lift wherever they measure as I go by. Prolly can't do that with my new setup but lots of people do it without issue.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 01:55 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Yeah well sadly it's slim pickings here in the NE and would much prefer to not have to even think about it.

Also, lifting on track aka "track days" may work but that isn't feasible for auto-x when Im trying to improve on my time.

My first outing with the new motor is in 1 month and as it stands today I'll be bringing my other catback with me just incase.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 138 Posts
I just picked up the exhaust that had the biggest beefiest muffler I could find. That was one of the tanabe exhausts that is a full 3" at the cat (some of the japanese brands neck at the cat which is annoying). Its been perfect for sound last few years. As SCCA is rightfully cracking down on noise I still make a solid 450whp on my med boost map and never blow sound unless im sitting on a revlimiter.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Heel to Toe,

Some friends had awesome luck quieting down their loud V8 cars using cheap resonators from Summit online catalog. My experience is limited to Boxster with no mufflers except resonators and its totally nicely quiet to pass Laguna 92 dB.

I am hoping that Vibrant and the Summit units are basically the same, and that you will benefit as I am looking for same solution.

I have JIC exhaust and altough the piping is thin, and muffler modest in size - its surprisingly effective for street Evo.
On track, it needs help however. I am planning to add a resonator not only as De-Cat, but also after the tip of the muffler: use a 90 degree turn, and hang a resonator parallel to rear bumper pointed away from sound meter.
Supported by the car frame - like bumper support or someplace firm.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo View Post
Heel to Toe,

Some friends had awesome luck quieting down their loud V8 cars using cheap resonators from Summit online catalog. My experience is limited to Boxster with no mufflers except resonators and its totally nicely quiet to pass Laguna 92 dB.

I am hoping that Vibrant and the Summit units are basically the same, and that you will benefit as I am looking for same solution.

I have JIC exhaust and altough the piping is thin, and muffler modest in size - its surprisingly effective for street Evo.
On track, it needs help however. I am planning to add a resonator not only as De-Cat, but also after the tip of the muffler: use a 90 degree turn, and hang a resonator parallel to rear bumper pointed away from sound meter.
Supported by the car frame - like bumper support or someplace firm.
I just picked up a JIC hasn't gotten here yet, do you have the resonated one ? I always heard these were a nice low tone. How is it ?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightweight, free-flowing, and quiet do not go together when it comes to exhausts for our cars. I’ve had the “quiet” exhausts and they are not quiet at all if you have a 3” DP and something other than stock cat. I’ve found that you need either a cutout system, interchangeable mufflers (like Works) or a tail pipe silencer when quiet is necessary. I’ve done them all and have a closet full of exhaust parts to show for it.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 07:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 81 Likes on 79 Posts
can't be light & quiet.

https://qlmotorsport.com/2019/04/16/...quiet-exhaust/

i don't even want to know how much my monstrosity weighs. it's pretty darn quiet though lol
Old Jun 11, 2019, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 138 Posts
For drag racers I get it, light everything matters. But if you use the Evo for turning, worrying about a super light exhaust at the sacrifice of noise pollution isn't a great trade-off. All its weight couldn't be in a more prime position running down the center of the car with a muffler in the back rear corner. Go big, go quiet!

I think Ive been around too long now and my old age is starting to kick in but their is no HP gain to be had from noise. And noise is just something that more and more tracks/clubs are cracking down on so sites arent lost.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 08:03 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

I find it hard to believe that there isnt a solution that is a good compromise of lightweight and not obnoxiously loud. I understand that the quietest systems will generally be heavy as large mufflers and additional resonators add weight and on the flipside the minimalistic approach will lack in the weight department but will quite loud.

My old exhaust was quiet enough to not be an issue. Now with higher compression motor and a tubular manifold there is some additional noise but that exhaust would still be sufficient. One of my buddies has a Tanabe Medallion Touring, Dallas I'm guessing that is what you have too and it's very quiet but once again very heavy.

I guess my point is simply where is the middle ground here? I might have to just take the weight penalty again and put back on my old exhaust but if there was something that was say 10# lighter than my old setup, vs 20# lighter but was quiet enough then I'd be all over it.

Alpina- curious to hear the results once you add in an additional resonator. Have you check out Ticon Industries as well as they have a Ti muffler option too but comparing specs to the Vibrant seems its more similar to their resonator.

Ticon muffler: https://www.ticonindustries.com/prod...muffler-17-oal

Vibrant muffler: https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...9957faf5cf8f1f

Vibrant resonator: https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...oducts_id=3629

I'm told the further back the muffler/ resonator the more effective they are. Also a turn down or a turn up could potentially help but I feel like you really need to know where they are measuring sound so for track use its plausible but once again autox prob not so much. Also the second you race on a track going the opposite way now the sound tower is on the wrong side. And there seems to be a debate on if you're better having it pointed down or up.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Heel2Toe,

I will not use Titanium, its expensive and the resonator on my car will only be installed during track events.
I prefer not to be "exotic", as that is pricey and weight difference as Dallas points out is minimal.

JIC exhaust is loud, like typical HKS: so within reason but not quiet by any means.
In Contrast Tomei TI is outrageous.

JIC inside the car generally is never drony, and has cultured sophisticated sound, and can be used for long freeway trips. Outside it appears louder than inside the car.

Last edited by alpinaturbo; Jun 12, 2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:08 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

If your current exhaust is Ti then what is your plan to attach the resonators? Slip fit with a clamp or you plan to add a flange and be able to bolt it up? I really don't want to throw in the towel just yet on this exhaust but I have a feeling that might be what has to happen.

I did have a thought on welding in 2x 2 bolt flanges and then picking up a big oval Magnaflow muffler as may keep the cost down and imagine it would do a bunch more to reduce the volume relative to a Ti muffler at the expense of more weight.

Once again, I totally understand that yes if you want to turn the weight isnt exactly in a place where you want to focus on for the same reason that I still have factory mustache bar and side mounts. The problem is that my weight spreadsheet looks more appealing to me when my car's wet weight is 2950 vs 2970 lol!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have two Evos, and the one requiring resonator is TI, with inline resonator, but car is awaiting further "parts install", so it may be a little later in the summer.
I'll make it a slip fit setup, as the original resonated JIC TI is nice exhaust not worth compromising. Its even easier to create a slip fit, or even use the two holes in the tip for "neck-down cap" to connect a slipped in turn and resonator further down.

The road Evo has 100 cel catalyst, and JIC SST with single muffler. Its loud in a GT3 way, and catalyst probably quiets it down tiny bit. I am not planning to change on it anything at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.