Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Time to make a change. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 06:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

Better option, learn to align yourself or find a monkey that wont wreck your stuff.
I can't afford hub stands yet, I lost access to an alignment machine, I've literally tried every single alignment shop in my town.. even a "customs" shop that charged me almost $200. I'm famous with my friends for never having an alignment done right, even by people that do their cars and they highly recommend. I'm just ****ing cursed.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Hence why I said waterjet. Wouldn't be very pricey at all to cut these out and all they need is a couple .dxf files.
Make it so! How much would it cost to cut a few sets? I'd like to use them for all four points on our cars. If possible, I'd like a couple extra sets in case someone ****s up my set
Old Jul 1, 2019, 06:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I can't afford hub stands yet, I lost access to an alignment machine, I've literally tried every single alignment shop in my town.. even a "customs" shop that charged me almost $200. I'm famous with my friends for never having an alignment done right, even by people that do their cars and they highly recommend. I'm just ****ing cursed.

Make it so! How much would it cost to cut a few sets? I'd like to use them for all four points on our cars. If possible, I'd like a couple extra sets in case someone ****s up my set
Give me some time. I'll need to finalize the drawings and find out lead time from the shop local to me.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jul 1, 2019)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Lmao, and I thought I was the only one. I also could never find any place that could properly align my car. You can do it yourself without hubstands, it's just quite a bit more labor intensive. You just need the car on a level surface.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:18 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Lmao, and I thought I was the only one. I also could never find any place that could properly align my car. You can do it yourself without hubstands, it's just quite a bit more labor intensive. You just need the car on a level surface.
Yeah.. every shop I've taken the car to ruins these bolts and washers, can't center a steering wheel, complains that my car is too low so I have to take off the bumper cover (it's 1/2" lower than stock), can't seem to dial in my rear specs, use the front strut adjustment bolts to adjust camber instead of the camber plates, the car pulls to one side or the other, I get duped into paying $180 for "life time alignment services" just to have a new manager come in and refuse to use my specs... I could go on all day This last shop had to give up after ruining the bolts. When I got into the car to drive home, I had a CEL for an ABS sensor and I smelled the clutch the whole way home. I'm so sick of trying to get an alignment on this car.

Aaaaaanyway, I've seen the string method. That would get me by to at least fix my toe and thrust angle. My camber *should* be spot on. I'm not sure how my toe got so thrown out of whack seeing how I believe the tow truck driver used the lower arms to tie the car down. Unless it's off too, but the alignment shop didn't get that far. I don't even know any more.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 735 Likes on 570 Posts
Just keep refining your string method and call it a day. Ive done it now at least 100 times (been doing it for 15 years now) and its repeatable.

Biggest thing is to level your floor left/right but dont worry about front rear. Just need 2 milk jugs, a clear tube between them, and 1/8" floor tiles for spacers. Once level, mark the spots to put the tiles and how many.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:03 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Just keep refining your string method and call it a day. Ive done it now at least 100 times (been doing it for 15 years now) and its repeatable.

Biggest thing is to level your floor left/right but dont worry about front rear. Just need 2 milk jugs, a clear tube between them, and 1/8" floor tiles for spacers. Once level, mark the spots to put the tiles and how many.
They definitely sounds doable. And probably $800 cheaper than the hub stand kit I've been eyeballing.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
What does string method do over using toe plates?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
What does string method do over using toe plates?
String method is more accurate because it's done at the center of the hub, not the edge of the wheel. Also you're able to get the thrust angle zeroed a lot better.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Also note you cant use toe plates in the rear. Think parallelogram. In the front this isnt an issue as the wheel would end up not centered.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Also note you cant use toe plates in the rear. Think parallelogram. In the front this isnt an issue as the wheel would end up not centered.
You can use them in the rear, you just have a high likelihood of your thrust angle being off.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The shop I finally found charges about 400 bucks, but they have 4 waist high stands with a car lift and the same strings we all use but on cup cars daily. Lifts make that sh*t so much easier. I have said hubstands and they're great, but also found out that the QuikJak doesn't lift the car high enough to use the stands.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah.. every shop I've taken the car to ruins these bolts and washers, can't center a steering wheel, complains that my car is too low so I have to take off the bumper cover (it's 1/2" lower than stock), can't seem to dial in my rear specs, use the front strut adjustment bolts to adjust camber instead of the camber plates, the car pulls to one side or the other, I get duped into paying $180 for "life time alignment services" just to have a new manager come in and refuse to use my specs... I could go on all day This last shop had to give up after ruining the bolts. When I got into the car to drive home, I had a CEL for an ABS sensor and I smelled the clutch the whole way home. I'm so sick of trying to get an alignment on this car.

Aaaaaanyway, I've seen the string method. That would get me by to at least fix my toe and thrust angle. My camber *should* be spot on. I'm not sure how my toe got so thrown out of whack seeing how I believe the tow truck driver used the lower arms to tie the car down. Unless it's off too, but the alignment shop didn't get that far. I don't even know any more.
I've had an identical experience in this side of the bay , the only shop I'd consider letting touch the car is Roger Krauss, but at this point I'd rather just do everything.

Also there are easier ways(imo) than with the string method. I just use toe plates and a combination camber/caster gauge. I believe it's made by longacre.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 02:29 PM
kaj

You can use them in the rear, you just have a high likelihood of your thrust angle being off.

Originally Posted by Balrok
The shop I finally found charges about 400 bucks, but they have 4 waist high stands with a car lift and the same strings we all use but on cup cars daily. Lifts make that sh*t so much easier. I have said hubstands and they're great, but also found out that the QuikJak doesn't lift the car high enough to use the stands.
Which hub stands did you use? I could use the ones I plan to buy with a floor jack. I've used them before and was very happy. I'm sold, eventually. LOL

https://pacomotorsports.com/product/...nt-hub-stands/

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I've had an identical experience in this side of the bay , the only shop I'd consider letting touch the car is Roger Krauss, but at this point I'd rather just do everything.

Also there are easier ways(imo) than with the string method. I just use toe plates and a combination camber/caster gauge. I believe it's made by longacre.
I have toe plates, but am worried about thrust angle. Maybe a combination of the plates and string.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
For better or use, I use them in the rear. My car hasn’t seen an alignment shop in 10 years. I think I worry more about alignment techs breaking stuff (been there done that) than a slightly off alignment. The track is never perfectly flat and the weight of the car is never perfectly even when in motion, not to mention the inconsistent nut behind the wheel, so is it really that important to have a super precise alignment?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 03:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
For better or use, I use them in the rear. My car hasn’t seen an alignment shop in 10 years. I think I worry more about alignment techs breaking stuff (been there done that) than a slightly off alignment. The track is never perfectly flat and the weight of the car is never perfectly even when in motion, not to mention the inconsistent nut behind the wheel, so is it really that important to have a super precise alignment?
No. But crab walking down the track can't be good for learning to be a better driver. 😁