Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tested my Buschur Race FMIC at Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I got mine from FRSport when they had a sale, was $273 shipped. Looks like the normal price is much more though. They were were in the middle of moving and clearing out inventory so I think I just got lucky and didn't know it was a sale.

https://frsport.com/blitz-23114-type...r-4g63-evo-8-9
I'll buy it off ya for $300 😉
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:05 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I got mine from FRSport when they had a sale, was $273 shipped. Looks like the normal price is much more though. They were were in the middle of moving and clearing out inventory so I think I just got lucky and didn't know it was a sale.

https://frsport.com/blitz-23114-type...r-4g63-evo-8-9
Luuuuucky. I paid $400-450ish...
Worth it!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I got hosed on their "move". Ordered Endless brake fluid from them as I usually do, a good 3 weeks before an event. 2 weeks go by without an email or any call back from their phone message deal. Had to write a 3rd email more strongly worded before I got someone to reply as to where it all was. Ended up finding it locally.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Could you please share the datalog? I would like to see how the IAT rises.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Here is a log that includes the AIT data.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Summit Pt Main AIT data .xlsx (217.6 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 16, 2019, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Awesome this is exactly what I needed. Hopefully I will have some datalogs to compare with soon.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
iirc compressor outlet temps are in the range 250-350*F are not uncommon.

At the very least need also the log of pre-intercooler air temp, and some way to tell if the sensors are accurate (might need 4 sensors instead of 2, etc...).
without knowing pre-ic temps, they could be very high, it is unfair to judge intercooler capability without knowing.

From the data it is only possible to tell that it 'seems to work properly' and intuitive i.e. rate of cooling increases w/ MPH, intercooler seems to support more cooling at high MPH and intercooler effectiveness as a function of MPH is a factor. So an intercooler that seems to work 'poorly' on a dyno could function well in a racing application where the car is instantly or always 100+mph. As just one example why it is hard to compare or judge intercoolers just based on flow rates, pressure drops, airflow this and thats without considering the big picture with its myriad details.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTal0n
iirc compressor outlet temps are in the range 250-350*F are not uncommon.

At the very least need also the log of pre-intercooler air temp, and some way to tell if the sensors are accurate (might need 4 sensors instead of 2, etc...).
without knowing pre-ic temps, they could be very high, it is unfair to judge intercooler capability without knowing.

From the data it is only possible to tell that it 'seems to work properly' and intuitive i.e. rate of cooling increases w/ MPH, intercooler seems to support more cooling at high MPH and intercooler effectiveness as a function of MPH is a factor. So an intercooler that seems to work 'poorly' on a dyno could function well in a racing application where the car is instantly or always 100+mph. As just one example why it is hard to compare or judge intercoolers just based on flow rates, pressure drops, airflow this and thats without considering the big picture with its myriad details.
The datalog here shows AIT vs ambient on a racetrack in hot, humid conditions over multiple laps. I think that's what most people want to know. The only thing missing is swapping in another FMIC to compare. Someone send me a Plazmaman for free and I'll post up the data for that one too
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jul 19, 2019)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The datalog here shows AIT vs ambient on a racetrack in hot, humid conditions over multiple laps. I think that's what most people want to know. The only thing missing is swapping in another FMIC to compare. Someone send me a Plazmaman for free and I'll post up the data for that one too
Ambient does not show or allow for compensation of air molecular mass losses. There needs to be a sensor post compressor, or you need compressor wheel speed data to make efficiency prediction based on 'island' of compressor map in use.

For example, if there is a boost leak, compressor wheel speed Increase results if the same pressure is demanded. Turbine rpm must increase, there is now more exhaust gas backpressure and IAT which leads to detonation (usually on poor fuels as 93) which is why big boost leaks are deadly to engines using gas, and overspeed to the turbo obv. the higher wheels speed reflects in the compressor map, adjusting/changing compressor outlet temperature (loading the intercooler in an "incorrect" fashion), as moving right from center island is getting hotter, higher IAT and demanding unrealistic results from an intercooled designed to handle much lower inlet temperature in an application. Higher initial intercooler inlet temperature, means higher outlet temperatures.

For example if there are two identical cars, everything is the same except intercoolers are different. There is no way to compare the efficiency of the intercoolers using that posted log because we don't know how many air molecules are being lost between the compressor and intercoolers of those cars. If one car is leaking a different number(99.99999% likely), it will have a different wheel speed and therefore intercooler inlet temp will be changed, It would unfairly offset the comparison of intercoolers without knowing compressor wheel speed, and having a fairly good reason to believe that the turbo is in great shape to provide that kind of performance (50k mileage, 150k mileages, 250k, mileage, take their toll on compressor wheel performance). would want accurate inlet temp data to make a more fair comparison at the very least, it could be going in at 280*F or 300*F

Last edited by KingTal0n; Jul 19, 2019 at 02:25 PM.