Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I thought Mike said they're running an MR2 (or similar) pump on the PA car?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes the internal volume and fast rack ratio cause the rack to cavitate creating a hard spot in the steering on quick movements. We tried both the MR2 pump and the Vauxhaul Astra, both about 20inches from the rack and on 16v.

We ended up putting a Saturn Vue power steering unit in the steering column instead of continuing to mess around with the Electro-hydraulic.

Zack
Old Jul 22, 2019, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
Yes the internal volume and fast rack ratio cause the rack to cavitate creating a hard spot in the steering on quick movements. We tried both the MR2 pump and the Vauxhaul Astra, both about 20inches from the rack and on 16v.

We ended up putting a Saturn Vue power steering unit in the steering column instead of continuing to mess around with the Electro-hydraulic.

Zack
I think I remember when you guys were going around on this Mike said some stuff about looping the rack lines too which makes me think he's on a column assist too. It definitely seems the way to go if your class allows.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 08:30 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Napa rebuilt pump installed and now she's quiet but I'm still getting a groaning sound when steering under load. Any ideas what the sound could be?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Napa rebuilt pump installed and now she's quiet but I'm still getting a groaning sound when steering under load. Any ideas what the sound could be?
Bubble?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by yip

needs a bleed still by sounds of it.

turn car on. take power steer reservoir lid off. turn hard lock to hard lock several times. should squeeze the bubble out
Old Jul 13, 2023, 05:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Bumping this. Does anyone know the volume output of the stock pump?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayoustin
Bumping this. Does anyone know the volume output of the stock pump?
I was interested in this question too and found a decent answer in the Evo 7 workshop manual page 37A-2. I was going to upload a screenshot of the page but for some reason image upload is hanging up at 90% and never completes.

Here is the information from that page:

Oil Pump
  • Type: Variable capacity type (vane pump)
  • Basic discharge amount cm³/rev: 9.6
  • Relief Pressure MPa: 8.3 - 9.0
  • Reservoir type: Separate type
  • Pressure switch: Equipped
Here is some more information from an Evo 7 technical supplement with regard to power steering on the CT9A. I like the engineering insight included in the older manuals:

OIL PUMP
The oil pump is a vane type with a fluid flow control system which functions so that the steering wheel turning effort will be reduced at low engine speeds and it will be appropriately increased at higher speeds. The following modifications have been made to Lancer EVOLUTION-VI Tommi Makinen Edition.
  • By increasing the basic discharge amount from 7.2 cm³/rev to 9.6 cm³/rev, the assist shortage at idle has been improved.
  • By increasing the diameter of the pully shaft bearing and the pump body rigidity, the pump noise has been relieved reducing vibration occurance.

Last edited by carbon_toast; Jul 13, 2023 at 12:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by carbon_toast:
Ayoustin (Jul 13, 2023), Dallas J (Jul 13, 2023)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by carbon_toast
I was interested in this question too and found a decent answer in the Evo 7 workshop manual page 37A-2. I was going to upload a screenshot of the page but for some reason image upload is hanging up at 90% and never completes.
Perfect. This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

For anyone interested, I've found a US made racing power steering pump that is extremely similar in dimensions to the stock pump. Displacement is also 9.6cc/rev and can be ordered with a 6 rib pulley on it. It's rated for 10k RPM and is rebuildable, they also sell a slew of different size restrictor fittings to be able to adjust assist. New they're $400 but used pumps go for $50-150. I just need to design a bracket to make it bolt onto the 4G (and since the dimensions are similar to the stock pump it'll be relatively easy).

New OE pumps are $900-1000, and used OE seem to be going for around $300-400 I don't care to complicate my car with an electric pump, just trying to future proof my car for when the inevitable happens and my stock pump dies or better yet sell my stock pump to cover most of the cost to move to this racing pump.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jul 13, 2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
I have a new unit I bought from Aliexpress. I dont know if you can bench test it but youre welcome to it
Old Jul 14, 2023, 08:31 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon_toast

MSpaint ftw!

My pulley has some play and started leaking so I'm on the search as well. BBB industries makes one 990-0822 but who trusts it
Old Jul 14, 2023, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin.

My pulley has some play and started leaking so I'm on the search as well. BBB industries makes one 990-0822 but who trusts it
I bought one because the pics show its painted black so theres a possibility that its a reman. but what came to me is very similar to the one I got from china. I'm in no rush to install it, and I returned the BBB one.

that said would you trust Bar's Leak ? Man I was blown away, like everyone on Youtube lol. it fixed the annoying leak on my wife's Benz leaking at the rack. That saved me a whole lot of time and money lol
Old Jul 14, 2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I bought one because the pics show its painted black so theres a possibility that its a reman. but what came to me is very similar to the one I got from china. I'm in no rush to install it, and I returned the BBB one.

that said would you trust Bar's Leak ? Man I was blown away, like everyone on Youtube lol. it fixed the annoying leak on my wife's Benz leaking at the rack. That saved me a whole lot of time and money lol
Yeaaaa a lot of the A1/Cardone reman stuff comes spray painted black and is usually junk. BBB my company just started carrying and is a little better in quality.

Bars leak works great for small coolant leaks. I use this because it's all organic matter (ginger, turmeric, walnut shell). Never heard of it being used in p/s system before lol. Being that ps fluid is petrol-based, Idk how it would find areas of low pressure like in glycol-based coolant/water.

works great in radiator and metal surface leaks. It's used in many high end dealers as a temp fix.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Yeaaaa a lot of the A1/Cardone reman stuff comes spray painted black and is usually junk. BBB my company just started carrying and is a little better in quality.

Bars leak works great for small coolant leaks. I use this because it's all organic matter (ginger, turmeric, walnut shell). Never heard of it being used in p/s system before lol. Being that ps fluid is petrol-based, Idk how it would find areas of low pressure like in glycol-based coolant/water.
works great in radiator and metal surface leaks. It's used in many high end dealers as a temp fix.
no, no, no I will not use those powder stuff on my cars coolant anymore . this is the only bar's leak product I would recommend. I just used 1/6 of this
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
no, no, no I will not use those powder stuff on my cars coolant anymore . this is the only bar's leak product I would recommend. I just used 1/6 of this
ahaha ooohh. Whenever I hear bars leak brand I think of the powder. The lucas stop ps stop leak I've used before, its like molasses and never fixed any leaks. I feel like those mechanic in a can products are only good for really worn out gears, and not really to fix leaks. My take on those products is to use as little as possible.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Upgrade