Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 01:53 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Was at Laguna this weekend and actually got meat balled for sound due to the PS pump whining so loud. It actually sounded like a jet plane coming down the straight :P

Looked up the price for a new OEM one and a little poo came out. Now we are thinking of fabricating a setup to use one of the universal PSC pumps. We already put a Setrab cooler on the stock one but it still died

Looking for any insight on the issue or if anyone has already gone down this road? I saw an old thread from Buschur with an electric setup but I do not see it on their site.

What are you guys doing for your dedicated track setups?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
How many miles on the original pump?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:37 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
How many miles on the original pump?
The car has 41k miles on it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Probably ran dry for too long. There's tons of high powered time attack cars that still use the stock pump without issue.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Has anyone done the auto part store version of our pump? The OEM pump is a trooper for sure, mine's still on there from the day I bought it but it does whine a bit.

I wouldn't do electric personally due to feel.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 01:55 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Probably ran dry for too long. There's tons of high powered time attack cars that still use the stock pump without issue.
Always checked the fluid and never let it get below the line. I have an order in for a new pump but the dealer said it could be up to 2 weeks to arrive. No rush since it doesn't get driven between events. Probably going to let my builder go ahead and order the PSC pump and move forward with fabricating a setup to make it work. I'll post back here as it progresses.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 01:57 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Has anyone done the auto part store version of our pump? The OEM pump is a trooper for sure, mine's still on there from the day I bought it but it does whine a bit.

I wouldn't do electric personally due to feel.
Personally from my experience I don't take chances on parts store rebuilt parts. I've had to uninstall and swap out brand new rebuilt parts time and time again to the point I either find some specialty guy or just go OEM new. Don't even trust OEM rebuilt or OEM replacements that are not from the original manufacturer run.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Personally from my experience I don't take chances on parts store rebuilt parts. I've had to uninstall and swap out brand new rebuilt parts time and time again to the point I either find some specialty guy or just go OEM new. Don't even trust OEM rebuilt or OEM replacements that are not from the original manufacturer run.
Agreed on critical parts, but Starters and such aren't a problem. I dare say a P/S pump is rather simple as well so it could do the trick.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 04:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Ive never had a pump issue.. weird u had to add a cooler
Old Jul 11, 2019, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
what tires and size are you running. i've only heard of PS pump failure with autox guys that run huge hoosier tires.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 04:04 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
what tires and size are you running. i've only heard of PS pump failure with autox guys that run huge hoosier tires.
275/35/18 RE71's. We were 5-7 seconds off the pace of John Meuller's RS in the low 1:40's so I doubt we are anywhere near the limit of what the skilled guys running slicks are doing.

Taking it off this weekend and buying a Napa rebuilt one. We'll throw it on and see how it goes. The guy that works on my car has the CEO of CSF radiators EVO X in his shop and we were looking at it today and it appears it has a MR2 electric pump setup on it. We'll try the Napa unit and if it fails we might give the MRS pump a shot.

Last edited by yip; Jul 12, 2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
There's a plethora of aftermarket electronic pumps you can utilize. Also, you can usually buy used OE pumps for under $100.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Mike at PA or Zach at PSI had some info on why most electric pump setups dont really work on the evo. I feel like it had to do with flow rate but I dont remember exactly. Either way, Im pretty sure Zach tried to get two different things working and nothing worked right. So far the best option is the electric column assist but its not legal for autocross till prepared.

Again, I dont remember exactly why. I just know a lot of people have tried to get it right and its always been inferior to OEM pump.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'm guessing the fast ratio of the rack requires high flow.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm guessing the fast ratio of the rack requires high flow.
That does sound familiar. It was something along those lines that any of the standard pumps we could get (volvo, porsche, mr2 1st and 2nd gen) didnt work right.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Upgrade