Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Issues with surge/bucking under partial throttle with aftermarket BOV's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I use a Tial QRJ bov with 1.5psi spring on my 10 and there is zero part throttle bucking on street or track. It's super smooth and literally the best BOV I have ever used. I stayed away from aftermarket BOV's before because of the bucking.
Running a Vband turbo kit really changes the behavior of the BOV,
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Running a Vband turbo kit really changes the behavior of the BOV,
I actually got a bit of bucking with the OEM bov with the same kit.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I ran a stock slightly crushed metal BOV to 30psi and it worked well on a fast spooling stock frame turbo. It did not hold well over that .

I've tried a few different springs in my Tial QR and it doesn't drive as good as the stock BOV did but its held 40psi.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 270 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Eh disagree, for 98% of us out there, dealt with this for a whole season of testing back in 2011. Removing the MAF forces you into a TiAL like BOV which absolutely does not have part throttle availability. Couple that with the "SD Patch" that the oem ECU uses and you go from bad to worse. Tried all sorts of springs, but that doesn't solve the problem. As you said these other setups have adjusted driving style and most of those are running uber power levels that mask it. The ONLY setup that gives you NA like part-throttle drivability is a dual vent, recirculating, BOV. Only two on the planet achieve this to my knowledge. First is the APS TwinVent which of course doesn't exist anymore and the used ones go for retail prices for this reason, I have used it for 8 years now. It doesn't hold more then 31ish-lbs however. Second from what I've seen and heard is the GoFastBits Response I think it's called now, used to be called GFB twin vent. There is also rumor that the COBB twin vent can do this as well but I've yet to see feedback on that.
I have had issues with the hks 7460 surging on small throttle and this was on OEM metal BOV. Surging messes up the MAF measurement and you get that buckle on small throttle around light cruise revs.. most noticeable on the highway. With SD patch it still surges in same circumstances but drives perfectly, on small throttle, part throttle and has super smooth no lope idle...
Old Sep 3, 2019, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Eh disagree, for 98% of us out there, dealt with this for a whole season of testing back in 2011. Removing the MAF forces you into a TiAL like BOV which absolutely does not have part throttle availability. Couple that with the "SD Patch" that the oem ECU uses and you go from bad to worse. Tried all sorts of springs, but that doesn't solve the problem. As you said these other setups have adjusted driving style and most of those are running uber power levels that mask it. The ONLY setup that gives you NA like part-throttle drivability is a dual vent, recirculating, BOV. Only two on the planet achieve this to my knowledge. First is the APS TwinVent which of course doesn't exist anymore and the used ones go for retail prices for this reason, I have used it for 8 years now. It doesn't hold more then 31ish-lbs however. Second from what I've seen and heard is the GoFastBits Response I think it's called now, used to be called GFB twin vent. There is also rumor that the COBB twin vent can do this as well but I've yet to see feedback on that.
I've had the APS for years as well after going through OEM and the Forge RS adjustable. Driven a bunch of other options as that was the best at it's time. Keeping MAF with some kind of twin vent seems to be the best option.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll have to disagree, my SD setup and Tial 50MM has NA like part throttle. It behaves better than OEM. Not a single buck, stutter, boost building issue at all.

It's in the spring and tune.

Any after market recirc with MAF that I used had part throttle bucking, comes with the turf.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 270 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Broke

Any after market recirc with MAF that I used had part throttle bucking, comes with the turf.
yeah, the issue is the MAF measurement, nothing else really..
Old Sep 4, 2019, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I actually got a bit of bucking with the OEM bov with the same kit.
I've been eyeing the Tial QRJ but i'm a bit skeptical as i'd rather not spend $200+ and find out the hard way that its going to give me the surging issue. I spoke to my friend who I sold my old crushed 9 bov to 6 years ago and he still has it, so I get to have it back
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the "Intake Reversion AFS Reset Control" tables are meant to deal with this issue?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Stock IX DV here, crushed. I run a peak of 28psi and it holds great. However.. the car does buck when driving slowly/low RPM through parking lots. Always has. I hate it.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I have an 05, came with plastic POS BOV. Swapped in a JDM metal BOV almost first thing. The evo 9 had not dropped yet so it was my only option. Last year when I got tuned Boostin crushed it for me. Holds 30psi. That BOV plus SD my car is smooth as silk. Can part throttle and decel just fine. Only bucking i get is really low RPM due to cam I believe.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Stock uncrushed DV here. No issues at all. Smooth as can be. I only run 27 psi though.

I ran a Turbosmart recirc style before and nothing but surging and bucking when getting off the throttle. It was horrible. But now that I am on SD, I may try it again. Maybe...
Old Sep 4, 2019, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
I have an 05, came with plastic POS BOV. Swapped in a JDM metal BOV almost first thing. The evo 9 had not dropped yet so it was my only option. Last year when I got tuned Boostin crushed it for me. Holds 30psi. That BOV plus SD my car is smooth as silk. Can part throttle and decel just fine. Only bucking i get is really low RPM due to cam I believe.
So it's just venting or are you recirc?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
So it's just venting or are you recirc?
Recirc
Old Sep 5, 2019, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Dejon Leak Stop kit on a DSM 1G valve (not crushed). I've been running it for over 10 years. Stock-like drivability on the street and track and holds 30+ psi.

Quick Reply: Issues with surge/bucking under partial throttle with aftermarket BOV's