Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

scca

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scca

i'm interested in perhaps entering in some events next year... but i go to their webpage and it says that to get the rules and car specs and **** i've gotta pay like 30 bucks?? wtf. is this right? am i looking at the right stuff? cause that's bull****.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

from scca.org:
All SCCA members are protected with the best insurance program in motorsports at no additional charge. Special SCCA discount programs provide savings on airfares, car rentals, and much more. And you receive SportsCar magazine (a $19 value), to keep you in touch with SCCA activities across the country. This national monthly news magazine brings timely event coverage, informative features, entry forms and all official SCCA communiqués.
I think insurance alone is worth $30 a year, don't you?
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:34 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Did you expect them to offer all those perks for free!??? I think that $30 is only for Speed Freakz also. Regular membership is like $70/year because there's a national and regional fee.

Mark
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

i'm not talkin about membership
just to get the rules it's 30 bucks.
if you're already a member it's 20 bucks for the rules
i want to get the rules and pick a class and mod (or not) my car to fit the class i want to enter. then i'll do all the membership etc.
if i'm gonna mod my **** i know it won't be ready by next summer. if it were going to be ready that quick i'd join now and stuff.
i just don't want to spend $70 for a membership and not use it cause i'm still building my car
get me?
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

http://scca.org/news/index.html#comp_regs

are those rules and regs something else? or is that what i need to find out info for what class and such. i'm just a newb to the compitition scene.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 02:19 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

My guess is you want to build an SCCA solo II car for autoxing right? Then you'll want the Solo I/II booklet (5665).

My personal opinion would be go a local autox and run in the event. If you like it, talk to the stewards about joining and class rules, etc. I'm 100% sure you'll find people to help you out. Great to see someone using their car the right way!

Mark
Old Aug 31, 2002, 08:57 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should just go to an event first. They'll tell you what class to run in for the day, then if you get serious about it (you'll be surprised how serious of a sport this is for some people) you can work on developing a race car into one of the categories. One word of advice: if you have a hard time spending $30, race in the stock or street tire classes, cause the guys in the other classes spend thousands each year to get an edge. I run whatever I have and just have fun. Besides, nobody cares if you have a lowered car in the stock category if you're new and won't win anyway Also, I don't know about Wi, but in So Cali we can join the local club for $20 instead of SCCA for $70. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 09:28 PM

Just a tip: If you can't afford the rule book, you would be better off surfing or staying with the skate board. I can't afford to go to the moon so I don't go. A simple life's lesson.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

i can totally afford the rule book. i'm just making sure that that's what i need before i throw 30 dollars at something stupid when the rules are on the scca homepage somewhere.
everyone has me wrong. i'm extremly interested in starting autox. there's no money issue involved yet because i don't know what class i'd be shooting for. i want to research what class i'm going to try to build a car for before even buying that car etc. i just was expecting there to be some sort of specs on the internet.
i guess everyone's in business all the time and they can charge and still have people pay. it's no prob. i'm ordering the book.
thanks for your help guys