Notices
MSRP Dealer Listings Check this forum for any dealers selling US Evos for MSRP or less only!

EVOs going for less than MSRP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking EVOs going for less than MSRP

No kidding! I finally decided to buy an EVO, and I found 3 dealers in one day that would take less than MSRP.

I believe the pending release of the Subaru STi and the sucky economy has really slowed the sales. I believe also that once the STi is released and once Fast and Furious 2 (featuring an EVO) is released in June, the volume will pick up.

NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY if you haven't already. I think prices and demand will increase significantly by July.

I bought my silver EVO yesterday with big wing (no sunroof) for $746 over invoice. I actually had 2 dealers willing to take that offer, and a third that was about $500 higher. The dealer I purchased from had $5000 "additional dealer markup" on the sticker.

If you're interested in saving some serious $$, go to http://www.carbuyingtips.com and http://www.fightingchance.com and read those sites. I did all my negotiating by fax and phone before entering the dealership to sign papers. It took about 6 hours of faxing, fielding calls, going to the dealer, and signing paperwork, and driving home with the new EVO. 2 hours of that was round-trip drive time to the winning dealer.

Another suggestion: Deal directly with the sales manager, not a front-line salesman, and you'll be more successful in this method. Also, make your offer NOW while you have the leverage of low demand.

My final cost on my Silver EVO with big wing (no sunroof): $28,650, including destination, but not including sales tax or documentation fees.

PS. The car is awesome!! Loads of compliments and teenage gawkers.

John G
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Congrat to you

^_^
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Why don't you tell us where you are and where the dealers are...along with dealer names. I can't believe they are selling them for hundreds over invoice.....you must live in an area with a terrible market for the Evo
In my area the best you can hope for is $500 under msrp...and that is for white which has been a tougher color to sell in this area. Two different dealers have been stuck with white while all the other colors lasted a few days at msrp.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:25 PM

Hi Broeli,

I'm in Alabama, and the dealer I purchased from is in Jasper, Alabama. John Crump Mitsubishi, 4011 HIGHWAY 78 EAST
JASPER, AL 35501 (205) 221-1212.

Sunny King Mitsubishi in Anniston, Alabama (near Georgia border), (256) 831-5300, also accepted my price offer, but they had yellow and I wanted silver.

A third dealer offered $500 more than my proposal, and a fourth rejected my offer altogether.

Read the two sites above for detailed information (especially carbuyingtips.com) for info on how to do what I did. I'll post the actual fax I used if it would help anyone.

John G
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:44 PM

OK, here's a basic summary of what I did in negotiation. Hope this will help someone.

First, deal only with the sales manager. If you have a salesman you like, work with him, but you will almost always get a better deal working directly with the sales manager.

Second, only make an offer to a sales manager on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (usually their slowest days), and you will almost always get the best deal toward the end of the month. Remember that sales managers are usually more judged on sales volume (units) than on profit per unit, and also future allocations of EVOs or other cars and some secret factory incentives are based on UNIT VOLUME. If you play it right and your timing is good, you can score a low-profit deal.

Third, construct a fax like the one I used (pasted below, sorry if formatting sucks), and fax it directly to sales managers. Fax as many as possible. I would suggest you fax every dealer within a 4 hour drive. One of them is surely interested in making a deal, and this method will uncover the ones who are willing to deal. Again, and I can't stress this enough, READ carbuyingtips.com and BUY the fightingchance.com package for $29 bucks. It will save you potentially thousands of $$. Carbuyingtips.com is a free site.

OK, here's what I faxed:

URGENT FAX

To: Sales Manager, Joe Blow Mitsubishi

Fax #: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Subject: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (Blue or Silver)

I am ready to purchase a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. I’m a serious buyer and am pre-approved for the purchase. I intend to fax this offer to several Mitsubishi dealers and the first dealer to accept my terms will make the sale.

I have NOT worked with a salesman at your dealership, so there is no sales commission payable.

I am willing to wait for a reasonable timeframe for the vehicle to be delivered if it is not currently on the lot. Please inform me of approximate wait times when you respond to this fax.

Here are the specs of the vehicle I’m interested in purchasing:

Code No. Vehicle/Equipment Invoice MSRP
2003 Lancer Evolution $26,891 $28,987
S1 Spoiler (large, carbon) 418 480
SR Sun Roof 653 750

TOTALS $27,962 $30,217

CONTINUED ON PAGE 2

PAGE 2, OFFER WORKSHEET, 2003 Lancer Evolution

I am aware that the dealership will receive an additional profit of $604.32 in dealer holdback from this sale --- 2% of MSRP, excluding Destination. I’m prepared to make an offer that includes reasonable dealer profit of 5% as follows:

Invoice Price as calculated above: $27,962.00
Less: Holdback (2% MSRP paid to dealer) 604.34
Estimated dealer cost $27,357.66
Add: Reasonable dealer profit (5%) 1,367.88
NEGOTIATED PRICE $28,725.54
Add: Destination Charge 595.00
TOTAL PRICE (w/o tags and sales tax) $29,320.54

I am not interested in additional interior or exterior treatments, undercoating, rust-proofing, window etching, or other dealer add-ons, and I will not pay extra for them.

First color choice: Blue Second color choice: Silver

You will find me easy to deal with. You may call me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx (cell), (xxx) xxx-xxxx (home) or e-mail me at x@x.com.

I look forward to hearing from you,

John G, future customer

Please feel free to plagiarize the heck out of this. Hopefully, this will help someone. Please do visit the two sites and read up before trying this for best results.

John G

PS. If there were any factory-to-dealer incentives, I would subtract them out at the top as well to arrive at an even lower dealer cost. fightingchance.com has a method called the FAX ATTACK that could theorhetically get you an even better deal than what I scored. Buy their really cheap (and totally worth it) package and try it out. BTW, I have no relationship to either of these sites... I am just an extremely happy customer.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:49 PM

Oops... One more thing...

The dealer I bought from had the color I wanted but didn't have it with a sunroof. The reason my actual numbers were lower than on the fax: I subtracted out the sunroof option and arrived at new figures.

My final price out the door (tax and tags extra): $28,650.

Try it! This might work for you too!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Good info.
It might work in some areas. I don't think it would work in my area where they sell them at msrp within days though. There are a few dealers around here that still have their first allocation of Evo's because they REFUSE to sell for any less than 2k or so over msrp....pretty dumb of them considering the more they sell the more they will get.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

not in South Cal man..
in Alabama it explains..
good job!

Originally posted by broeli
Good info.
It might work in some areas. I don't think it would work in my area where they sell them at msrp within days though. There are a few dealers around here that still have their first allocation of Evo's because they REFUSE to sell for any less than 2k or so over msrp....pretty dumb of them considering the more they sell the more they will get.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Get the car from Alabama then!
It only costs about $500 to ship the car over to California and you're still way under MSRP.

In fact, if you live on the west coast and you buy a car from the east coast, shipping it cross-country is only about $500 as well. If you get the car for under MSRP, you can still save a bunch of money.
Old May 8, 2003, 06:25 PM
J!m

Hell, for $500.00 buy a ticket on Southwest and fly out to pick it up!
Old May 11, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

www.invoicedealers.com is a great website to put your bid in on a car you want, then you can have all the dealerships in your area out bidding eachother to the lowest price fighting for your sale, your under no obligation to buy the car either if you dont like the price, and its toatally free.
Old May 12, 2003, 07:34 PM

actually you could get like $500 above msrp on www.carsdirect.com

why hassle w/ dealers and paying like $1,000+ over msrp....
Old May 26, 2003, 04:59 PM

Paid Less than MSRP

Alabama, and North Florida may be the place to go to buy one...I paid $1500 under msrp Apex Silver, big wing, no roof...
Old May 26, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks for the detail info...

^_^
Old May 26, 2003, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Talking Freaking Happy!

Big thank yous to Johnq316.

I had $$ down and waiting on an EVO that wasn't arriving. You motivated me. I went and pulled my deposit and did a over the phone version of your fax. It went very well. I found my EVO in stock at another dealer and got a deal that was $1100 better than the deal I was waitng and waiting for.

So, thanks to you--I have an EVO in my garage--silver, roof and cf wing(just what I wanted) and $1100 more in my pocket.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: EVOs going for less than MSRP