Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Need a tune in DFW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a tune in DFW

I'm in need of a tune on my Evo and looking for suggestions by the hive. So far I'm looking at either Evo Dynamics in Lewisville or Cobb in Plano. My only reservation with Evo Dynamics is that I want a dyno tune and not a street tune...

Does Evo Dynamics have a dyno? Do they rent a dyno and tune outside their shop?

Is there anyone else I should consider for tuning in the DFW area?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sure you could rent dyno time from Cobb for Kevin to tune you. I don't believe Cobb is tuning 8/9's anymore since they discontinued the AP for them. I think Alamo in Arlington does dyno tuning as well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
cobb doesn't tune 8's and 9's.

Kevin has a relationship with AWDtuning to do dyno tuning if the customer wants it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
cobb doesn't tune 8's and 9's.
I don't understand this decision; they could really expand their customer base if they started getting into the ECUFlash game instead of completely shutting themselves out of the 8/9 market.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

My buddy had his 540hp STI tuned by the AWD Tuning guys...it runs nice but, it's not an Evo. Anybody here have an Evo tuned by them? How did they do for you?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

AFAIK AWDTuning doesn't tune Evos... I mean I bet they can, they just focus on subbies.

I don't understand this decision; they could really expand their customer base if they started getting into the ECUFlash game instead of completely shutting themselves out of the 8/9 market.
Why would they support a product that doesn't allow them to sell a $5-600 piece of hardware? Would they be able to sell any accessports at all if they did ECUFlash tunes for X's? And in theory they are able to keep things more secure and magical by being closed lipped about what they are/can tune (ie. SST mappings).
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Why would they support a product that doesn't allow them to sell a $5-600 piece of hardware? Would they be able to sell any accessports at all if they did ECUFlash tunes for X's? And in theory they are able to keep things more secure and magical by being closed lipped about what they are/can tune (ie. SST mappings).
This is all true, but for the 8/9 they no longer have that expensive piece of hardware so you'd think they would still want in on the ~$300 dyno tunes.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I turn away customers all the time... a business doesn't have to accept all comers... one of that hardest things to learn is how to fire (or never acquire in the first place) a customer. I'm sure they have a good reason for it (brand/knowledge dilution, whatever).
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by mrMTB; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: nevermind
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

Matthew, thats AWD Motorsports in Florida. AWD tuning is in DFW.

Are you tuning for pump gas or E85? If it is pump, go with Kevin (Evo Dynamics) all day, he will get you sorted. If it is on E85 I would look for another tuner like Kan tuning.

Last edited by krisiun; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'm sure you could rent dyno time from Cobb for Kevin to tune you. I don't believe Cobb is tuning 8/9's anymore since they discontinued the AP for them. I think Alamo in Arlington does dyno tuning as well.
Dude seriously stay away from Alamo, ask just about any Evo owner including myself, Horrible place to tune unless you take your tuner there. He will make you buy a AFC or Standalone to tune. He can't or won't use ecuflash. I recently almost lost my motor because of a install they did fyi. Just have Kevin tune it at awdtuning. I think the goig rate is 80$/per hour. Dont quote me on that. I would rather street tune it and then touch it up on the dyno myself. The other route would be Mellon. Quite a bit more $$ though.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info, definitely appreciated. I was under the impression they were good guys AND an EvoM sponsor; I just looked it up and with your info I now see I'm wrong on both counts

KevinD definitely seems to be the go-to guy for 8/9 tuning here!
Might have to have him touch-up my tune a bit after I get done with my SD conversion.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Decision made, I'll be going with Kevin and letting him street tune it first and follow up with a dyno tune touch up (and so I can get it on the dyno). I sent Kevin a text so we can get a time to talk on the phone about what all I am looking for.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Thanks for the info, definitely appreciated. I was under the impression they were good guys AND an EvoM sponsor; I just looked it up and with your info I now see I'm wrong on both counts

KevinD definitely seems to be the go-to guy for 8/9 tuning here!
Might have to have him touch-up my tune a bit after I get done with my SD conversion.
I'll be honest I hate to bad mouth someone or a shop cause everyone makes mistakes but I wouldn't take something for free from Alamo and I LOVE me some free stuff! My story is boring compared to Kelly's though fyi.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

^^Kevin is in Australia for a couple weeks, but is definitely the guy to go to for a tune here in DFW. I have been on a KevinD tune for at least 80k miles, still pulling strong!

Last edited by TxEvo8; Apr 7, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a tune in DFW