Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks good, but I am no judge lol. I can do alot of stuff but electrical is not one of them.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad at all. I would put a PWM circuit on the amber dash lights if you don't already have one. They look like they seriously strain your eyes at night from being so bright.

I do have a question for you. What type of solder are you using, that it conducts electricity??

I unfortunately have to order more leds before I can finish the steering wheel. They should be here Friday. I will finish up the car then.

So far, I've converted all switches, the screen to blue for normal display, and red for warning, and made the needles blue. I also made the passenger airbag indicator blue since it always stays on when no one is in the passenger seat. I wanted it to blend into the interior more. Since this is an MR, I made the gear indicator light up blue, and then white when switched on. The only thing left is the steering wheel and AEM Boost and Wideband gauges changed to blue displays. I should have final pictures Friday night.

Just a note. All pictures were taken with the iPhone 4. The quality isn't an SLR or anything. Any blue that appears to be a different shade, I can assure you it is the camera making up for differences in brightness. All LEDs are wavelength matched, meaning they are identically the same color.

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0445.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0448.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0452.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0453.jpg  
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:50 PM

It reminds me of the IS-F just brighter
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

And way better, because it's in your Evo.

-Acree
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Andrew,

As far as the gauge cluster goes, are you going to change the numbers from white to another color (or did Chris specifically want that left white)?

Also since you got the needles changed, do you know if you will be able to make them change color depending on where the needle is on the RPM gauge like you mentioned might be possible?

Other than that, it looks FANTASTIC. Can't wait to hand over my car for this.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:45 PM

We had talked about changing the numbers, but for it to look really good, Andrew would have to put an LED behind every number. While it would have looked good, I didn't want him to go that deep into the project. We talked about the needle changing color, but I am not sure if he did that. It looks awesome in his IX on the climate control though. Totally unexpected.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

that gauge just looks stupid sick. how hard is it to make a 8 gauge cluster blue and the time frame needed. i dont need anything as complicated as krisiun's.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:41 PM

WOW, looks nice, I'd like to do my IV.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rmondoh
Hey Andrew,

As far as the gauge cluster goes, are you going to change the numbers from white to another color (or did Chris specifically want that left white)?

Also since you got the needles changed, do you know if you will be able to make them change color depending on where the needle is on the RPM gauge like you mentioned might be possible?

Other than that, it looks FANTASTIC. Can't wait to hand over my car for this.
I can do blue, but the problem is the red numbers and markings. It would take considerably more time to make the gauges have what I call a "striking blue" and have the red marks have a "deep red" which you can only get using leds since I can control the exact wavelength.

I can make the needle change colors based on rpm, but again it will take a considerable amount of fabrication time. The geometry behind the gauge face doesn't lend itself to this type of light segregation, but it is doable.

Originally Posted by yellowevo84
that gauge just looks stupid sick. how hard is it to make a 8 gauge cluster blue and the time frame needed. i dont need anything as complicated as krisiun's.
That's where the difference in year models makes the job much more complicated. I would need to fabricate some sort of array behind each gauge and make my own diffusing geometry for the VIII gauges to look right. Let me finish my IX and then I'll see about doing it for other people.

-Acree
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Just completed the AEM Wideband and Boost Gauge. The leds for the steering wheel will be in tomorrow.

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0466.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0473.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0480.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0482.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0487.jpg  

Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Looking very nice Andrew!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:16 PM

This. Is. Freakin. Amazing. Period.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Acree
Just completed the AEM Wideband and Boost Gauge. The leds for the steering wheel will be in tomorrow.

-Acree
i have the same gauge pod, but i keep really hanging on the side so it is not blocking anything.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Steering wheel is complete. Conversion is complete. Here are pictures. I will be editing the first post in a couple of hours with image tags so the formatting is more appealing.

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0514.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0518.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0521.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0524.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0530.jpg  

Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

A few more.

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0550.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0556.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0558.jpg   Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion-img_0562.jpg  

Quick Reply: Acree's Evo X LED Interior Conversion