Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Decisions... Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Met up with Bambi who gave me a K&N air filter to replace the stocker, much thanks to her. Then she offered to help me debadge the mitsu and lancer symbol and she did an outstanding job. Learned alot about the importance of paint and how to treat it. She even did a full body cavity search on my paint and saw things I wouldn't have seen in decades

Needless to say, Graphite Grey is an amazingly beautiful color on the X in my opinion except it LOVES to show scratches. And no matter how far away you park in the nose bleeds so people don't become the cause of any sratches you just have to deal with it happening one way or another for those who have no respect.

Anyways, just wanted to thank Bambi for her special care to detail and positive attitude to make this an enjoyable learning experience. Since then I've been in ninja mode and taking photos of license plates to any and all near me. By May I think my memory card is going to full with nothing but photos of this.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Krisko
Met up with Bambi who gave me a K&N air filter to replace the stocker, much thanks to her. Then she offered to help me debadge the mitsu and lancer symbol and she did an outstanding job. Learned alot about the importance of paint and how to treat it. She even did a full body cavity search on my paint and saw things I wouldn't have seen in decades

Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
You're the 2nd local to order the complete "Kracka shifter package" in as many weeks after feeling it just once

We need to do another modding day soon, I have a lot of cars to help out with; yours, Bambi's, and Armando's for sure, who knows who else.
Modding day eh? Well..The next set of parts thats going in mine is Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Cobb Hard pipe Kit, Cobb SF Intake, a upgraded FMIC, I just havent decided what FMIC I want.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Litcandl3
Modding day eh? Well..The next set of parts thats going in mine is Cobb Turbo Back Exhaust, Cobb Hard pipe Kit, Cobb SF Intake, a upgraded FMIC, I just havent decided what FMIC I want.
AMS, ETS or AGP only. Bar and plate or nothing at all. AGP is the cheapest route. Im not going Cobb catback because i want something with a little more aggressiveness yet not too loud like ETS V2 (not the extreme model thats all pipe but the one with two mini mufflers on the catback). Im thinking to invest in mudflaps too after seeing this severe scratch behind my front right tire that a mudflap may have been able to prevent if not having one was the cause.

@ Bambi - I was metaphorically speaking that your attention to detail is nothing short of marvelous. I do that sometimes
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:50 PM

Summer would be perfect. I should have a huge lot of the things i need around that time. And no i wont sit around and watch you do the work lol
I'm not waiting til summer for my shifter! I'm probably going to do it the soonest weekend after my car gets out of the shop. Such an amazing set up!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
AMS, ETS or AGP only. Bar and plate or nothing at all. AGP is the cheapest route. Im not going Cobb catback because i want something with a little more aggressiveness yet not too loud like ETS V2 (not the extreme model thats all pipe but the one with two mini mufflers on the catback).
Pretty much every aftermarket intercooler is bar & plate, I can only think of that that isn't. The AGP is currently my favorite X FMIC on the market, it's very similar to my MAP prototype unit. Nice fitment, cast end-tanks (I won't buy anything else), etc. I also like Perrin's and AMS'.

Just my 2-cents, but you're going to want something a bit more mellow than the ETS V2 catback on a DD street-car. Those "mini-mufflers" (they're actually Vibrant resonators) do very little to reduce drone. I'd suggest something with a larger single muffler such as the Magnaflow, ETS V2 Quiet, Buschur Crossflow, Cobb, Perrin, etc.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Questions, Im doing some comparisons of parts that look similar but I want opinions.

Cobb vs UR - short downpipe
ETS V2 vs UR - dual catback
Testpipe vs HFC
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
unless things have changed, don't buy UR welded parts unless you enjoy rewelding or replacing (I went through 3 downpipes and Trent went through at least one test pipe from them).

TP if you're tuned and not worried about certain classing for autox/racing.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I find it so weird on the ur stuff. My exhaust has been flawless from them
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
I find it so weird on the ur stuff. My exhaust has been flawless from them

the UR stuff is fine if it isn't driven hard. Goofys car was put through hell at the track quite often, thus able to find the weak points of the part.

josh has even managed to crack all the welds on his ETS exhaust by the mufflers too. ETS offered to fix it but we just did it in house to save a ton on shipping. i believe michael at ETS even said they also found it was a weak point and could crack there and had changed designs a while ago so it didn't do it anymore. the ETS cracks werent nearly as bad as the UR failures though.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Questions, Im doing some comparisons of parts that look similar but I want opinions.

Cobb vs UR - short downpipe
ETS V2 vs UR - dual catback
Testpipe vs HFC
1. Cobb's fits very well, I recommend it. UR downpipes are well-documented to crack.
2. Nearly identical. I had UR's and hated the drone, but it fit well. Both use the same Vibrant resonators as mufflers.
3. More power & louder vs. legal & quieter.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
the UR stuff is fine if it isn't driven hard. Goofys car was put through hell at the track quite often, thus able to find the weak points of the part.

josh has even managed to crack all the welds on his ETS exhaust by the mufflers too. ETS offered to fix it but we just did it in house to save a ton on shipping. i believe michael at ETS even said they also found it was a weak point and could crack there and had changed designs a while ago so it didn't do it anymore. the ETS cracks werent nearly as bad as the UR failures though.
Idk, my car gets pushed much harder than Sean's did. Less total mileage, so maybe just a matter of time. Or I'm lucky
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
Idk, my car gets pushed much harder than Sean's did. Less total mileage, so maybe just a matter of time. Or I'm lucky
no doubt you make much much more power then sean, but how much power you make isn't a good measure of how hard its pushed (for example the FP journal bearing turbo debate for evo 8/9... road racing caused lots and lots of failures, but street/drag/autocross never got em hot enough long enough to cause the problems). tell me some lap times at any local track and i'll tell you how hard its being pushed. if you haven't or dont take lap times, then i promise, it wasnt pushed nearly as hard as sean. the color of your brakes will be a great indicator of how hard it was pushed too... joshs are completely black. seans did the same.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
chkmgnt59 pushes his car pretty damn hard... no worries there.

What UR parts do you have? I didn't have a problem with the catback, but the test pipe and o2 housing was very weak.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Here is some food for thought Krisko. If you have Cobb do all the work and stick with Cobb parts or parts they order for you... You get this kewl thing called a warranty, parts, labor, the whole shooting match. I know ETS and AMS stand beside thier parts and they are prolly others. Just think about the hassle, freedom aspect. I have almost 50k miles on my evo now with still no issues. Over 400 hp and stable as a rock.

Quick Reply: Decisions... Decisions...