Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Problems @ Pruven

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems @ Pruven

Well id like to start by saying thanx for taking time to read my thread, now on to the buisness. It all starts like this i had a big problem with my car a i spun a bearing im not too sure but im very comfotable with working on my car but to do it the right way i figured id pay to get it done and over with to ensure i would make good power with my setup i was running a 35r setup was a 2.3l stroker motor done by a local machine shop. well i called a few shop local to me 2-3hrs away tops no names but pruven offered to pick the car up one of the sales menbers ensured me a 2week turnaround and i thought that was great so i went along with them and paid a small amount to pick the car up within 2days they call me and told me they had found the problem. Wow there fast as hell motor and trans were out wand the sales member cals with an estamate on parts and told me he can get the or i can get them, and he gave me a price and told me to get back to him, the very next day i had a rundown on the same parts cheaper and instock ready to go so i went down the line and he said he could do all the same pricing. I saved myself 800$ with that transaction, so he told me he needed that + the labor already done so i agreed and told him ill be up there with cash so i wouldnt have to pay tax on it. Its now monday of the next week with no word from pruven at all i called and heres where the sh*t starts i ask is everything ok where are we with everything cause i know theres machine work to still be done, he tells me the parts are on order, so i stop him dead in his track and tell him you told me the parts were also instock if not i would have just got the parts on my own so right now im pissed but get over it as i get off the phone and calm down. Now all i can think of is the turnaround time and how thats not going to happen, so i give it some time and i call next monday to see if the block was at the machine shop and the response i get was yeah ill be taking it on wednsday ok i say and i was happy, so i call friday (now mind you they are very nice and helpful over the phone when i call) to find out about the mechine shop wor hasnt left yet so now we are at the end of week 3 of this build and finally it gets to the machine shop at the beginning of wk4.
Now i know machine shops are busy and all so i gave it a week and a half befor calling back, he tells me nothing yet but the fastest he is able to get a motor together is 7hrs so i figured almost 2wks should be ok, well its not. Id like to let everyone know that all calls were me to them except when he called with the estimate for parts, now the nest time he calls was the middle of week 5 and tells me i have 2 bent exhast valves i say ok fix it and get it back and he says i got a quote for the machine work 1400$ ok get it done i said he tells me i will need 1500$ from you to pick it up when its done so at this time ime very hezitant to give him anything so he says if not it your motor will sit untill we have the funds to get it out now im very livid and not happy about how this is going down so i pp hime the mnoney and attached was a not stating i wanted all recipt for all parts and labor from the machine shop.
As of right now we have just crossed over week 8 and the motor is done and i was told it would take 2-3 days max to get everything back together and my motor was suppose to get picked up on wed of wk7 and now im callin everyday 6x a day with no answer. What would you do if you were me and its a 3.5hr car ride
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask sharkbite2000 about his build at pruven. That's really the only other bad story I have heard coming from them.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

i would drive there and talk to them, and you should have known about this guys, by doing a little search on this forum.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn , that sucks. I would have said we could have done it at my shop seeing that Bangor is only 1 hour away and I got friends that live there.

Hope you get your ride back soon.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Damn man that sucks. Said it before but there is a lot of shoddy work and business practice going on in the Tri-State area. Kinda sickening actually.

Hope all works out and that this isn't just the start of your story man. Let me know if you need a hand with anything local. Be glad to help
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Ask sharkbite2000 about his build at pruven. That's really the only other bad story I have heard coming from them.
lol yeah just search for his youtube videos about the pruven performance fail that happened to him...it was pretty crappy looking...

goodluck with your build!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

make the trip down there and bring a lawyer
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope everything works out for you.

-Em
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
i know your always about saving a buck dude but thats why i always tell you to do business with Buschur or STM... Ralph buddy i hope things work out for you and honestly i would be worried about the motor now..
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:39 AM

You are 2.5 hrs away from CBRD, 2 hours from TurboTrix, 1.5 hours from Ivey...
and you went to Pruven? Live and learn.

* Not trying to be a dick, I feel your pain, just shining light on other shops in the 2-3 hour radius

Last edited by Kiloalpha; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

sharkbite is proboly like lol.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

First off talk about run on sentence much.... Just for future reference proper punctuation and spelling would help everyone with reading this, the return key works wonders...

As for the story itself it truly is your fault that you didn't get a full written estimate up front and you shouldn't pay them for anything until the car is done, lesson learned I guess...

At least your debacle isn't taking as long as mine has been taking... I waited for 2 months for someone to build my car starting in Feb of this year and make sure everything was ok only to have to bring it back him several times from April until July.

Finally I got the car back and the guy scratching his head saying he doesnt know what is wrong and it turns out that he put it together with the timing off resulting in 4 bent valves and running low compression.

Finally I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt and took it to a reputable shop like i should have done the first time and it is going to be finished this week
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I see more and more of this happening. All over the country. Estimates are the worst to go off of because I can't count how many times it seems like the estimate almost always goes up. Not doing the machine work in house almost always makes everything more expensive. You are essentially just paying a shop to yank the motor out and put it back in after the machine shop puts its back together.

Stories like this make me consider driving 10 hours south to AWD to get major work done. I don't have disposable income and I would rather the work get done right the first time.

I hope everything works out for you. Something tells me this won't be the end of it.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

holy wall of text! my head hurts.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiloalpha
you are 2.5 hrs away from cbrd, 2 hours from turbotrix, 1.5 hours from ivey...
And you went to pruven? live and learn.

* not trying to be a dick, i feel your pain, just shining light on other shops in the 2-3 hour radius
wish i had shops like that as close as that. Seems like all the shops i'd like to deal with are halfway accross the country. Godd luck

Quick Reply: Problems @ Pruven