Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Akuma Motorsports-FWIW.beware

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akuma Motorsports-FWIW.beware

hey everyone i just got into these cars about 1 1/2 ago i have a 2006 evo MR. and i do well for myself(this will come into play later) so in 2011 after a few months i had my car and brought it to akuma when they were in old bridge to have some minor work done, seats harness bar and harnesses. so a few months later i go back to akuma when they were in woodbridge. i asked john the owner what should i do for my car with new turbo and what not. so we picked out an fp black turbo a front mount injectors and some other stuff.Meanwhile my car is mostly stock just a mild stage 1. greddy exhaust intake etc.

So we schedule to drop my car off once everything got there, everything got there rolls around and i drop my car off. John said to me the car would be ready in a week.
so after the stuff is installed, and it goes on the dyno. i get a phone call john asked me "Did you by any chance put bad gas in the car"? i said no maybe when i first got it i said. which putting bad gas has no relation to anything at this point i knew he messed up big time.So then i asked him to do a compression test and for him to call me back. He calls me back and gave me the numbers 114 140 140 118. Little do i know i said so what does that mean, is my car blown up?( john never made me sigh a waiver or nothing for the dyno) i asked. he said"i dont like to use the word blown up, but techinally yes it is. At this point idk even what to think the car only had 34,000 miles on it. Then he just rambles in and says i wanna do a full rebuild on your car.(knows i do good for myself) i said, wait slow down ill call you back. so i tell john im coming to pick up the car and going somewhere else to see what kind of damage isi really done. (at this point i feel that john is trying to make a fool out of me) thinking i would say yes to a rebuild.

so i go and pick up the car the next day and he asks me for the remaining balance and i say, john u just blew up my car and ur not gunna give me a break, he finally gaveme a small break but didnt make up for the damage he had done. (supposely he says)

I bring my car somewhere else to have a compression test done the next day, the numbers that we got at this other shop were 145 155 165 165. huge difference. and they finally opened up my motor and it wasnt blown up.

My conclusion of the situation: John knowing that i had $$$ and knew i didnt know much about these cars. Pretended to tell me that my car was blown up and really wasnt. and wanted me to spend all this money on a rebuild by him (just so he can make more money off the kid who doesnt know anything). and i wouldnt ever know what goes on behind the scenes at AKUMA Motorsports.

Thanks everyone and hope you learned from my mistake and be smart. have a nice day
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something like this put their shop in bad reputation. I'm glad you found out the truth.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! That sounds like a crazy story. I am glad you didn't get caught on the hook. This is the exact reason why I do all the work myself. To throw out a possibility, the compression test needs to be done when the car is at operating temperature. If the compression test would be done at cold temperature it would probably show really low numbers. This could be a tactic that is used to scare people into telling them the car has bad rings/valve seals. On the up side your car is healthy and not blown up. By the way what numbers did your car make in the end?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:59 PM

yes i agree bobrick the smart thing to do is do all that stuff before you put that stuff on teh car, its common sense i told him and he said he felt it wasnt necessary and i believe i mentioned the numbers in the first post but they were 145 155 165 165
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Damn that sucks.. Never would've expected that out of them
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh wow.

I'll wait for their response before passing judgement, but gotta tell ya I have seen this sort of thing happen time and time again. Auto shops have been stealing peoples money since the beginning nothing new there.

Thieves are the scum of the earth

GL with your car man
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

That is ludicrous??? we did not give you 118 on your comp numbers. You are still 13% off on one cylinder with the other shop numbers!!! 165 vs 145

Why did you let them open the motor if it was not blown up??? Did you check the head? Did you do a leakdown BEFORE the other shop tore it down??

Gio We installed your parts. The parts were all there and done right.

We did a compression test that came back low on one cylinder. I have the dyno plot to show your car was down on power for the turbo and mods. This is why I did the compression test. I did not tell you you had to do a motor build. I told you what I saw on our comp test equipment. I said the motor seemed to be a little 'tired' in other words one cylinder was down on comp as compared to the others!!! At that point we give you the OPTION to do a rebuild!!

You brought in your friend and had to bring it to another shop for testing, and I said no problem. I completely understand when news like that is given. It can be a big bit of money to build a motor.

Was I not supposed to charge you for your parts and labor install? Was I supposed to give it to you for free?

I was more than willing to work with you on any future purchases/mods. I never said you had to keep your car with us.

You need to be truthful 100% and this is not right.

Last edited by AkumaMotorsport; Mar 4, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Giod88
hey everyone i just got into these cars about 1 1/2 ago i have a 2006 evo MR. and i do well for myself(this will come into play later) so in 2011 after a few months i had my car and brought it to akuma when they were in old bridge to have some minor work done, seats harness bar and harnesses. so a few months later i go back to akuma when they were in woodbridge. i asked john the owner what should i do for my car with new turbo and what not. so we picked out an fp black turbo a front mount injectors and some other stuff.Meanwhile my car is mostly stock just a mild stage 1. greddy exhaust intake etc.

So we schedule to drop my car off once everything got there, everything got there rolls around and i drop my car off. John said to me the car would be ready in a week.
so after the stuff is installed, and it goes on the dyno. i get a phone call john asked me "Did you by any chance put bad gas in the car"? i said no maybe when i first got it i said. which putting bad gas has no relation to anything at this point i knew he messed up big time.So then i asked him to do a compression test and for him to call me back. He calls me back and gave me the numbers 114 140 140 118. Little do i know i said so what does that mean, is my car blown up?( john never made me sigh a waiver or nothing for the dyno) i asked. he said"i dont like to use the word blown up, but techinally yes it is. At this point idk even what to think the car only had 34,000 miles on it. Then he just rambles in and says i wanna do a full rebuild on your car.(knows i do good for myself) i said, wait slow down ill call you back. so i tell john im coming to pick up the car and going somewhere else to see what kind of damage isi really done. (at this point i feel that john is trying to make a fool out of me) thinking i would say yes to a rebuild.

so i go and pick up the car the next day and he asks me for the remaining balance and i say, john u just blew up my car and ur not gunna give me a break, he finally gaveme a small break but didnt make up for the damage he had done. (supposely he says)

I bring my car somewhere else to have a compression test done the next day, the numbers that we got at this other shop were 145 155 165 165. huge difference. and they finally opened up my motor and it wasnt blown up.

My conclusion of the situation: John knowing that i had $$$ and knew i didnt know much about these cars. Pretended to tell me that my car was blown up and really wasnt. and wanted me to spend all this money on a rebuild by him (just so he can make more money off the kid who doesnt know anything). and i wouldnt ever know what goes on behind the scenes at AKUMA Motorsports.

Thanks everyone and hope you learned from my mistake and be smart. have a nice day
This entire story here kind of baffles me a bit

1) If he was attempting to **** your into building your motor why wouldn't he just blow it up by putting ****ty gas into it draining the oil and revving the **** out of it?

2) Why call you up and give you cylinder compression numbers if he didn't believe they were legit? I have worked with a lot of shops around the US and the majority of time people come back to verify the damage or get a second opinion. Once you told him you were coming back if he were actually attempting to **** you over wouldn't he have just caused a spun bearing or broken piston? It's not hard to do.

3) Was there some other pre issue your not telling us about here? It kind of sounds like you were half expecting / planning on getting taken somehow.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:40 PM

john you told me it was blown up, but for my own head i had to make sure and yes we did a leak down and it wasnt as bad as what u get. you know what u did john you have no story.

how do you tell me its blown up and then i find out its not, something wrong with that picture and i know what u try to do. period.

hollywood if u read i dont know much about these cars
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
That is ludicrous??? we did not give you 118 on your comp numbers.

You need to be truthful 100% and this is not right.
And there you go always 2 sides.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
And there you go always 2 sides.
hes lying he wrote them down right in front of me
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Giod88
john you told me it was blown up, but for my own head i had to make sure and yes we did a leak down and it wasnt as bad as what u get. you know what u did john you have no story.

how do you tell me its blown up and then i find out its not, something wrong with that picture and i know what u try to do. period.

hollywood if u read i dont know much about these cars
I am not even sure what you said, but I think you mean that the other shops numbers were higher.... therefore better? I can understand that you may not have a working knowledge of these cars, and that is OK. The important thing to see is a variation between cylinders. You are over 13% which is a bit high. That paired with poor HP/TQ(overall performance) is a red flag.

Where you lose me, is why let the other shop tear down the motor? If they thought it was OK, why did they not just tune it and send you home with a dyno sheet and their blessing?

If I was trying to rip you off, I would have done what Hollywood said, I would have broken it thoroughly as it is easy enough. It does not benefit me to tell you, you had a high cylinder differential and then leave the car running if I intended to rip you off.

I operate my business honestly and would not do something like that.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:52 PM

hey john u think its common sense to do a compression test before you do that to someones car? your exact answer, "it was necessary, the car only had 36 miles on it" just admit what you did or the intention that you had. i play with liars like you all day so your no prize
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:56 PM

john do you have a mental block? you told me my car was blown up i brought it to another shop because you were not touching my car anymore. and found out it wasnt blown up when i was there, stop trying to cover up your lies and this is the outcome.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Gio, you are not making sense. I am totally ok with you taking your car for a second opinion. It is your car, and that is 100% your choice.

Here are a few facts....

Your still over 13% differential on the Other shops test.
You let the other shop tear down and rebuild your motor.

If I told you it was bad(motor), but you went to another shop for a second opinion and they found it to be OK...WHY REBUILD IT THERE???

There is nothing to cover up here. You wre not billed for any services you did not receive. You were not treated with disrespect. Your car was not damaged by Akuma. I have to check the invoice, but I think I discounted the tune(I will verify Tuesday the exact discount), because I had to stop after 2 or 3 pulls because of the data I saw.

I will not keep going back and forth, as I do not have the time and it does not make us look any better to have a forum war. I have faith the people on this forum are smart enough to see the facts. We deal with a lot of Evo customers each year and I am happy to say this is a great community and we will continue to support it.

John

Quick Reply: Akuma Motorsports-FWIW.beware