Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Keeping Evo in NY, NY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keeping Evo in NY, NY

I have a question to New Yorkers. I mean people who owns Evo in Manhattan.
Now, I live in KY and have Evo. I might get a job in NY but I want to keep my car. If I can't, probably, I won't go.

How expensive is it to keep my Evo? I will be working in Manhattan and I don't know if that means I will live in Manhattan or not. I can take a subway. I guess the parking will be whole lot, the gas might be more, and the tax??? I have no clue. When I drove up there last time, I paid like $30 a night for parking.

In KY, I pay property tax but no parking lot and gas is pretty cheap.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
live in northern nj...where manhattan is only a train ride away...anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour......leave ur evo at home........gas is pretty cheap..we got that 94 octane at sunoco...property tax in northern nj is pretty pricey....but most importantly...auto insurance is a *****hhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:56 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Garages in Manhattan are anywhere between $150/month and $600/month + 18.5% NYC parking tax unless you live in NYC.
Price depends on where you get the garage. I would avoid the cheap ones (less then $300) because they usually abuse your car (they did mine).
I would suggest living in Jersey City where you have trains (NJ PATH) to Manhattan and cheaper new apartments and garages are either free with the apartment complex or you have to pay like $80/month.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone else live in NY NY or in its neighbor?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

yeah that is what i do... work in times square live right across the river in Ft. Lee and take the bus every moring.... about 30-40 min ride..... and drive the evo when i get home
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:01 PM

even if you live in central jersey, a train ride into the city is only around an hour and a half away, and you can take the bus too
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like living in Jersey is the way to go. Thanks for a good info.

I live in a pretty good size two bed room apartment for $500/month. I know it's much cheaper comparing to the ones in a bigger city. What the regular rent for one bed room is like New Jersey or somewhere I can commute to Manhattan?

Do you know what's the property tax is like?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:06 PM

I live in Queens (Astoria) and I just take the subway into Manhattan. Its about 15 minutes to midtown. If you rent a garage or a parking spot its about $125-150 month around here. Insurance isn't too bad for me (about 1800 year) and you will probably drive if at all on the weekends. Hence you can save money on the gas.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

rent all depends on where you wanna live..... ft lee goes from around 800- up to 3000 a month for 1-2 bedroom.... depends on where you choose highrise or find a house with a 1 - 2 bedroom
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:11 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Dream Came True
Sounds like living in Jersey is the way to go. Thanks for a good info.

Depends on your life style and the salary you gonna get
Living in Manhattan has it's advantages. You have tons of small shops. You don't need a car to move around (this is actually a minus for me hehe), if you get drunk like mother, you can always call a cab and pay next to nothing (same cab to NJ will be at least $50 a ride), you get to enjoy the smell and noise of NYC (trust me some people can't live without it), you have central park where you can meet chicks, did I foget to mention numerous pubs?
NYC is an experience for itself.

I live in a pretty good size two bed room apartment for $500/month. I know it's much cheaper comparing to the ones in a bigger city. What the regular rent for one bed room is like New Jersey or somewhere I can commute to Manhattan?

Do you know what's the property tax is like?
Depends on where you live in NJ for 2 bed you can pay anywhere between a $1000/month - $2500/month.
Since it's tough with renting, you can negotiate a decent size 2 bed (1200 sq.feet) in most brand new (or few years old) buildings in Jersey city for like $1800/month. I think that's a great deal for the apartment you get.
Apartments in NYC, 1 beds are usually $1500-$2500, and 2 bed are like $2200 (tiny) - $3000. The ones I liked (but couldn't afford) in NYC were around $2800 (2 bed, ~900 sq.feet, newer apartment and appliances).
Property tax, if you intend to buy a house, depends on the area. North NJ is really really expensive. NJ has the highest proerty taxes in US.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:14 PM

I kept my Evo in NYC about 12 weekends last year...

BE PREPARED... Driving and parking in the city WILL get you dings, scrapes and generally tear the outside of your vehicle up. Parking in a garage often means you still have risks. People with expensive cars buy body armor for their car and drive and park with it on. I have driven into a garage with a perfect car. Pulled the car out with a flat tire and dings. The garage I parked at was a nice garage to! You can get a decent deal by getting a workers M-F 9-5 package...but expect to shell out big money if you want to keep your evo in good shape and in nyc 7 days a week. Otherwise consider taking the train. If you plan on making 75K a year or more...I say find a nice place to park and live in the city. Theres nothing like it! 2 more years and i'll be there!
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

hell ya that is why i work and hang out there a lot.... so much fun just to hang out in the city... but nice to leave it and only be 2 miles away and be in a different world
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not planning to buy a house or an apartment. Just wanting to rent a one bed room apartment with a parking space.

Sounds like only way to work in NYC is to get a great offer. I am still not at the point to make a judgement but just thinking ahead what it would be like.

I don't think I wanna drive my Evo in the city on week days. Last time when i went up there, I took my friend's car but it was insane.

Appreciate the response!!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

I was born and raised in Manhattan..I don't own an evo, but I do have an OZ that I take really good care of. I keep my car garaged and pay $190 a month (including the 18.25% tax exemption for living in Manhattan).

As for finding an apartment with a parking space is concerned, you CAN find them, but they will be in pricey neighborhoods.

My suggestion to you would be to NOT move into Manhattan. However, move to a neighboring boro ex: Queens. Where parking is usually available and Manhattan is a 20-30min subway ride away.

Insurance? Be smart. Keep your Kentucky plates for a while and keep paying your kentucky insurance. Tons of people do that here thus all those Massachusets, Rhode Island, FLorida plates here in NYC.

You got anymore questions just ask.

Peace
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:04 AM

you can find apartments in NJ farther away ..say clifton or secaucus..( I lived in secaucus for 2 years .. one bedroom 900 square feet ..one parking space ... but also a big visitor lot where I parked my other car..)

You can then drive to weehawken or edgewater and park for like 6$ and take the ferry in for another 10$ round trip I think ..that's another alternative.

You can also find reasonable houses if you look hard enough ... with the interest rates so low nowadays ... for an 1800$ mortgage payment (that's including taxes and all) you can find a decent house.. trust me. I live in Kearny.. small town near Newark ... very quiet ..and I'm about 8 miles from the city.