Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wxksos
Anyone have the stock ix bov? I need to get IM'd and from what I see visually, it wont pass.

Or can somebody give me a simple tune that would help me pass.
Mods are hks bov,intake,exhaust, mbc.
You need to go somewhere else, I have had a car im'd with an VTA blow-off valve and they didn't say anything. Try conti subaru they are used to seeing cars with those kind of mods in there.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 907dsm
Some very helpful links... worth reading. The mod is fairly simple to do actually I have it done on my Evo8 ecu conversion.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html
http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/TephraMod
Hmmm...Was the evo8 ecu conversion easy to do? Back when I was running my dsm's SAFC's were all we had, lol. You bringing it out to the track this year?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DNBishop
May be your springs binding on the shocks/struts. There's a write up on here somewhere explaining it................ Basically where the spring wraps and touches the next coil (upper/lower). Seems like the permanent fix is to slide a piece of hose on the springs to seperate the coils..........

Mine does this w/ the stock bilsteins and to tell you the truth, I use alittle WD-40 on the springs (where they bind) every so often and noise goes away. I'll do a permanent fix when I have to break into that area.

hope this helps,

Buddy
Hey Buddy,

I went out and cleaned the area where the the spring contacts the strut as best I could a few days ago. There is a lot of dirt and pebbles up in there due to this break up nonsense. I sprayed WD40 where the binding is and the popping/clunk has seemed too stop for now. Although I did hear it going over a speed bump last night. I searched binding/popping and came up with this post.

"I have the answer!
On the struts are small rubber "dams" on the bottom of the strut. This rubber dam is supposed to keep debri from getting into the base of the strut. But it does not work, rather it traps small rocks and these small rocks grind around in the spring, causing the "clunk" sound.
The Mitsu Dealer told me and he cleaned out the bottom of the strut and cut off the rubber dam. Now it is quiet.
He told me that Outlanders all have the same problem, because people like to take them off road. Also he knows a lady with one that drives on a gravel road to get to her house, and her shocks sound horrible because of all the rocks that get trapped in there and he keeps cleaning them out, but the rocks always get back in"

One of these weekends when I'm not studying for finals I'll probably go ahead and do this.

Thank you for you help, I hope this gets rid of it.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:18 PM

They don't care about that unless it's making your car throw a CEL or your exhaust has been modified.
I didnt visually pass. I need the stock exhaust with both cats. Anyone want to let me borrow it for a day or 2, ill throw in $20? Or I buy it from someone for a fair price.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:52 PM

apr 15 meet taco bell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the usual meet at taco bell
but lets make it a fun one lets try to get at least 100 cars or trucks to show up this Friday the 15
so start calling all your friends and invite them
usually we start showing up at 10:00 pm
post how many people u have invited or if your goin for a estimate

pulled from AKMS
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X FP Black 19 psi on 90 Octane...compared to Blacksunsets evo 9. 3rd gear pull.

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by dkstas
Hmmm...Was the evo8 ecu conversion easy to do? Back when I was running my dsm's SAFC's were all we had, lol. You bringing it out to the track this year?

Nah it wasn't hard at all.. just very time consuming to do correctly. I really don't care to try to set records with my car just a fun little street car would be nice. It's a DSM remember **** breaks alot which is something I'm not looking forward to oh well.

Originally Posted by wxksos
I didnt visually pass. I need the stock exhaust with both cats. Anyone want to let me borrow it for a day or 2, ill throw in $20? Or I buy it from someone for a fair price.
Hmmm I know a friend of a friends friend that is an IM tech and might can work his magic. Maybe!!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:35 AM

Evo X FP Black 19 psi on 90 Octane...compared to Blacksunsets evo 9. 3rd gear pull.

wow,
I was running like 23 psi of boost spiking to 25 at the time and your only running 19 though that, I want to see that tuned and running 25psi though it and see where it really takes it,

did you throw some timing in there as well? and i could be wrong but why on earth did you AFR go that route lol, its steady then blam, (depressed clutch??)

and when i get everything in and a "tune" as some call it, would you mind doing another pull and seeing where it is at from the base pull, and possibly (when free) look over the newer map and "fix" what doesnt seem right in anyway?

Edit: if you want GSC S2 cams you should order some now because there on a month back order from MAP...........they had them in stock and they are out the door on the same day...... (Evo IX)

Edit 2: reason for it was GSC made the evo 8 and evo X cams first and pretty much everyone is waiting/wanting the GSC S2 cams, they had a few in stock, kelford hks, cosworth M2 etc but very limited, why is having the IX so hard to find parts for that are in stock.......anyone.....someone lol....Oh and everything else is being shipped today...so i guess thats a plus

Last edited by blacksunset; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

^I don't know why the AFR chart looks like that...because my log showed 11.1-11.2 all the way up to 8000 rpm then the rev limit kicks in. No knock by the way, timing is very conservative. Soon as you get the parts let me know so we can do the install.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:18 PM

^I don't know why the AFR chart looks like that...because my log showed 11.1-11.2 all the way up to 8000 rpm then the rev limit kicks in. No knock by the way, timing is very conservative. Soon as you get the parts let me know so we can do the install.

ummm, thats weird, no knock and your AFR are are a little leaned out that really isnt to bad unless you start dropping way below 10's would be nicer to see it around 11.5-11.7 unless the 4B11 loves to run lean, (dont know to much about the X, I dont have one and barely read up on them)

And I know what its from now that i think about it (AFR log) Its when you hit the limiter it started to bounce up and down causing it to push more with less (if that makes any sense) causing it to spike, similar to when boost creep or a spike hit on the log, does the same thing.

And ill send a text your way when they get here. MAP said they would eat the shipping cost for the cams, so Im thinking ill go though them more often, everything with MAP is better then alot of places up here, I got the back bumper fixed on mine and parts had been sent to the wrong place and they called the insurance and asked them to bump the price up another 500.....and they did.....

Last edited by blacksunset; Apr 14, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blacksunset
ummm, thats weird, no knock and your AFR are are a little leaned out that really isnt to bad unless you start dropping way below 10's would be nicer to see it around 11.5-11.7 unless the 4B11 loves to run lean, (dont know to much about the X, I dont have one and barely read up on them)
And I know what its from now that i think about it (AFR log) Its when you hit the limiter it started to bounce up and down causing it to push more with less (if that makes any sense) causing it to spike, similar to when boost creep or a spike hit on the log, does the same thing.

And ill send a text your way when they get here. MAP said they would eat the shipping cost for the cams, so Im thinking ill go though them more often, everything with MAP is better then alot of places up here, I got the back bumper fixed on mine and parts had been sent to the wrong place and they called the insurance and asked them to bump the price up another 500.....and they did.....
You got it backwards...the lower the number = richer. 11.5-11.7 would be ideal but the car doesn't agree with 90 octane.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 AM

Haha,
Just another reason I'm NEVER taking my car to underground again. I'll throw a message or text your way about it tomorrow. But I figured you would know either way lol.
So, what can I do to just mine to run a little richer, like it's at 14.7-15.4 (I want it in the 11.7-12.6) as of right now I won't need to and is fine the way it sits but with the new fuel pump and cams I would rather it run at those levels, will upgrading the MAF be a huge factor from the OEM or is the OEM just fine till you hit crazy HP. (600 up)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:19 AM

Hmmm I know a friend of a friends friend that is an IM tech and might can work his magic. Maybe!!
Let me know!! im tired of seeing the evo sitting in sunny weather.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blacksunset
Haha,
Just another reason I'm NEVER taking my car to underground again. I'll throw a message or text your way about it tomorrow. But I figured you would know either way lol.
So, what can I do to just mine to run a little richer, like it's at 14.7-15.4 (I want it in the 11.7-12.6) as of right now I won't need to and is fine the way it sits but with the new fuel pump and cams I would rather it run at those levels, will upgrading the MAF be a huge factor from the OEM or is the OEM just fine till you hit crazy HP. (600 up)
That 14.7-15.4 is at cruise/idle and you're fine....at wide open throttle you are running very rich (10.1-10.2) according to the 3rd gear pulls you did with me. Once you hit the track and have some better octane we'll lean it out a lot and see what she does.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:06 AM

That 14.7-15.4 is at cruise/idle and you're fine....at wide open throttle you are running very rich (10.1-10.2) according to the 3rd gear pulls you did with me. Once you hit the track and have some better octane we'll lean it out a lot and see what she does.

wow, I really need to get the AFR log on mine working again, I went to log yesterday and the AFR didnt hook up (was on a limited time set-Dinner or no dinner lol) Tried switching comports restart the log nothing, tried playing around on USB connections and switching comports nothing, Ill go and play with it some more today, if all else fails ill wait to do some pulls,

Quick Reply: Alaska