Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

First thing I've hated about my Evo in 1.5 years of ownership...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I've hated about my Evo in 1.5 years of ownership...

The front under cover... 28 plastic screws. Just spent $21 at McGlendon's on new bolts and misc. fasteners to make the tray easier to remove/install. What do most people use for these POS's? Don't push hard enough and you strip the screw head out, push too hard, strip the threads. I mean seriously, WTF does the dealer do? Is there a super trick screwdriver just for removing these?

Last edited by GTisRule; Oct 7, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor mat hook coming out really pissed me off. Also those plastic screws on the undertray sucks aswell for oil changes.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice...
...I have to replace some existing ones that are stripped or just junk. I hate having to take off the undertray...it was great having the undertray off for a month
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

I just tossed the damn thing. To much of a pain in the ***.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by haze1995
Yeah, mines sitting in my garage now. After 2 or 3 removals, you are down to like 1/3 of the plastic screws anyway. The rest are stripped or lost.

Jason
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by haze1995
I hear you, but i have things mounted towards the bottom of my engine bay...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SPOOLED IX MR
Also those plastic screws on the undertray sucks aswell for oil changes.
How is it that you have to remove the undertray when I don't, and still change the oil just fine. My undertray does not extend that far.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

The problem with tossing stuff like that, if you ever plan to keep a car for a long time, you learn the factory puts those covers in places for a reason. I also have a 89 GTi 16V that I've owned for 14 years. I can tell you ever screw hole you don't treat rusts, splash trays that make belts squeak, etc. I plan on keeping my Evo as I have the GTi, but at least with the Evo I'm the first owner, so I have to answer for every flaw the car has... Getting a rock chip while yer hauling *** enjoying the car is one thing, but tossing factory parts for stuff like that is one of my peeves... It must go back on! heh... I'll post some pics if I invent some engenious way to put it back on.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:05 PM
Account Disabled

if you look at the undertray there is actual ducting to cool your brakes and i believe possible slight amount of down force, dealer mechanics have removed so many of those clips that it's kinda a learned art but i swear it takes me longer to remove that thing then to take the actual trans out
Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by intraket7
if you look at the undertray there is actual ducting to cool your brakes and i believe possible slight amount of down force, dealer mechanics have removed so many of those clips that it's kinda a learned art but i swear it takes me longer to remove that thing then to take the actual trans out
If if what you say is true, which no one has proven it as far as I know for most everyone it would make no difference. I track my car and noticed no difference at track speeds at PIR. The guy who just street drives his car will never notice. I took it off once, and it's never going back on. I will have my brake ducts on before next season anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

just get the none screw type that have a slit for a flat head, i put them on my subaru front bumper and i will eventually put them on my under tray, they work wonders, and make things sooooooo much easier.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoRS06
just get the none screw type that have a slit for a flat head, i put them on my subaru front bumper and i will eventually put them on my under tray, they work wonders, and make things sooooooo much easier.
Can you post some info on what you're talking about? I will replace it with ANYTHING that works 1/2 as well as the factory stuff. A pic, even a link to where they can be purchased from? I bought about 40 U-Clips of different arrangements, and I just don't like any option I've thought up just yet. I'm looking for ANYTHING else better than the factory's BS attachment clips.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

28 plastic screws

thats true and i find out when i tryed to install the LICP hahahahah
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:54 PM

I have the Beatrush under panel. IMO it was cheap enough, and has saved my front end many of times. It only takes a few minutes to take the back section off to change the oil. Here is the link to it. I highly recommend it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=224947
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

^^Does the beatrush have the slits/ducts to cool the brakes like the stock one does. I have been eyeballing that but I have yet to take the plunge.

Quick Reply: First thing I've hated about my Evo in 1.5 years of ownership...