Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Evo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn son! you sold the 35+mpg away?! awwww
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely squeeze every ounce of HP you can when you are modding. I would skip the HFC and run the test pipe. If you are worried about emissions, keep your stock cat and swap it in for the test. It's only going take 20 mins to swap it out.

They don't make it anymore i think, but DC sports had a dp that includes the test pipe portion (what I'm using). If they have that setup with another brand that would be the way to go!

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Dec 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I did, they hook up scanner and look for codes. If all clear then u can go. Hillsborro DEQ.

Originally Posted by Evo8Monster
Who do you know that's passed emissions with a test pipe?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Here is quality exhaust for you, with Downpipe and testpipe for only $300. I seen in on the car and under the car. Almost no bends, as straight as it can be. Great deal for the price.

I seen it on the dyno, and the car made over 360WHP with just Exhaust, Intake, MBC and intercooler.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ust-300-a.html
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Emissions can be made to pass everything but the sniffer with a few strokes of the keys...the sniffer requires some more involved stuff but doesnt have to have the cat put back on.

HFC chokes the exhaust, the choke creates higher EGT, this lessens the threshhold of knock resistance. With that lower it means we cant run as much timing or boost which means less power. If you are going to take the stock cat off (any vehicle really) and arent a racecar driver hippy (nothing wrong with that) just get the test pipe. No sense in spending more for less.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Emissions can be made to pass everything but the sniffer with a few strokes of the keys...the sniffer requires some more involved stuff but doesnt have to have the cat put back on.

HFC chokes the exhaust, the choke creates higher EGT, this lessens the threshhold of knock resistance. With that lower it means we cant run as much timing or boost which means less power. If you are going to take the stock cat off (any vehicle really) and arent a racecar driver hippy (nothing wrong with that) just get the test pipe. No sense in spending more for less.
Man, if you only knew how many times I've argued this crap with Engineers here at work. Considering Washington State SELLS any 'clean' air they can to industry, you're not minimizing the pollution, you're just paying for someone else to pollute for you. I was EPA certified for emissions back in the mid 90's, and heard this from the Washington State Department of Ecology instructor we had. I double asked the question to verify if I heard him right.

Besides emissions are produced strictly from the F/A R not being at stociometric(sp?), 14.7:1. On turbo cars it's safe to run rich, but I promise you, it's 100% about the tune. A perfectly tuned engine will only have C02 and H20 as a byproduct from burning Gasoline.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Besides emissions are produced strictly from the F/A R not being at stociometric(sp?), 14.7:1. On turbo cars it's safe to run rich, but I promise you, it's 100% about the tune. A perfectly tuned engine will only have C02 and H20 as a byproduct from burning Gasoline.
This is not true.

Catalytic converter technology has come a long way and is necessary to have on cars now and in the future. Lots of vehicles that drive down the road actually emit cleaner air out of the tail pipe than the air around them. Now, I don't run a cat on any of my cars because I'd rather have power than be a hippie, but I realize it's a pretty selfish thing, because if everybody did that on their cars it would be a huge problem.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

no cars emit air. its mostly co2 and by definition it cannot be cleaner that the outside air, otherwise we would have tailpipe fresh air lol.

Originally Posted by Poik242
This is not true.

Catalytic converter technology has come a long way and is necessary to have on cars now and in the future. Lots of vehicles that drive down the road actually emit cleaner air out of the tail pipe than the air around them. Now, I don't run a cat on any of my cars because I'd rather have power than be a hippie, but I realize it's a pretty selfish thing, because if everybody did that on their cars it would be a huge problem.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:55 PM

There is no definition that says the tailpipe emissions have to be more harmful than the air around us . CO2 is not a very harmful gas, guess what we exhale?

Our atmosphere is not composed of pure oxygen, so even if you "perfectly tune" an engine, it's not going to only emit H2O and CO2 without the help of a catalytic converter.

But this is now getting off topic, /threadjack
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:59 PM

Okay, excuse the non-hippie girliness here, but what are the legal reprecussions of just running a test pipe?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

You would "tipically" get fix it ticket if ever discovered, cop dependant.
I have mine for 6 years and been pulled over shait many times, noone checked under.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:06 PM

It's like a $10k fine if a shop does it or something ridiculous, but I'm not sure on if you just get caught without one.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:23 PM

Okay, screw that! Haha.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

$10k to the shop Angie, not to you. BTW - I had a cop trail me early Sunday morning (about 330A) and I'm not running a cat (Buschur Bullet TBE, so relatively loud too). I do however have a big *** green check mark on the rear window and I still didn't get pulled over.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

I think all you get is a 'modified exhaust' ticket, no matter what you're running.

Quick Reply: Evo upgrades