Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Sea-Auto

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuiltS13
It's not soo much who's fault it was but more or less how they handled the situation. I was hung up on twice, treated us like they didn't just make profit off us. To top it off we could have been seriously hurt. It's like me buying a used turbo from someone not knowing its blown, not installing it but then selling it to you as a good turbo and you install it and find out its blown and I tell you to go f*** yourself because its not my fault as I bought the turbo used as well. x 100 tho because this is a $20,000 car.
Oh I hear ya. I'm sure it's not a good experience to say the least. I distrust a lot of dealerships and used dealerships as well. I've seen very bad work done by Dodge technicians at a dealership just to save time. (Tom Mats*n) Not thinking the customer actually knows what to look for after they were done. Funny how saving 20 mins of labor, turns into probably an hour worth of free warranty work. LOL. Buying from a private party that knows how to take care of their **** is the way to go.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
Oh I hear ya. I'm sure it's not a good experience to say the least. I distrust a lot of dealerships and used dealerships as well. I've seen very bad work done by Dodge technicians at a dealership just to save time. (Tom Mats*n) Not thinking the customer actually knows what to look for after they were done. Funny how saving 20 mins of labor, turns into probably an hour worth of free warranty work. LOL. Buying from a private party that knows how to take care of their **** is the way to go.
Went to school with tom mats son, wouldn't buy a car there either. DTA!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed... Buy from a private party, you will get a better price that way most of the time anyways.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:52 PM

I was gonna buy an evo from sea auto. It was a wingless GG 9 MR with a slashed tire, 8 tails, and when i drove it, it felt like it wasnt pushing more than 8psi. They are family owned i believe. They said they sell a bunch of evos. haha.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

So did you check this one out?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2128138277.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drocksmash
At the bottom it says they did
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
And I'm really sorry... but if you guys are complaining about pad wear or clutch life... those are wear items... welcome to owning performance vehicles.
I'll chime in on this one since I mentioned my clutch and pads

Honestly, the clutch worn out wasn't that surprising. I lucked out when I bought my STi with 35k on it with an awesome clutch that lasted the life of the car...70k(damn thieves). It didn't slip on the Evo until about a week or so after I bought it. Sucks but oh well...what are ya going to do? The pads though....that ticked me off. You don't say you did a safety inspection on the car (and it was listed in carfax) and then send someone off with nearly no pads in the back...thats just wrong.

Once again though...everything would have most likely been caught if I would have taken it to a mechanic that I trusted. Lesson learned again. I think we can all agree though that if a dealer sends someone out with faulty equiptment and they know it, then thats completely unethical (although you'll never get someone to fess up to it).
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Aaron, I don't have a dime in this but do you and Lucas really feel that comfortable about these guys business practices that you let them advertise the car with your information on it? In my opinion they are using the English Racing reputation to sell their cars. If they are good and do a good job then they should not have to use English Racing's reputation to sell these cars as most evo's sell themselves with a test drive/ride.

Are you guys just giving the car a inspection or are you actually tuning them as their ads state?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Aaron, I don't have a dime in this but do you and Lucas really feel that comfortable about these guys business practices that you let them advertise the car with your information on it? In my opinion they are using the English Racing reputation to sell their cars. If they are good and do a good job then they should not have to use English Racing's reputation to sell these cars as most evo's sell themselves with a test drive/ride.

Are you guys just giving the car a inspection or are you actually tuning them as their ads state?
Daniel, I do truly appreciate your concern for our business and our name.

Per the cars-

I have done both. I talked to Luke about it and our opinion is this-

We are the experts in the area and can give the car our normal inspection ($85) check to make sure things sound right, the tune looks right, there isnt any obvious damage to anything. I can make suggestions on what needs repaired and I have offered to answer any questions prospective buyers might ask that I can answer. All we can do is give them a better starting place than if they just went in "cold". It doesnt guarantee that I didnt miss something but at least I can say thatI looked and "this is what I saw"

I cant check the motor with a borescope, transmission or T-case oil, boost leak, or any of the bigger maintenance items. The point of this thread was not that these cars are perfect and guaranteed to not have other issues down the road. We are just giving them the best starting point we can for the new buyer from what I can do in 45min. I got paid $50 a car to check them out so its not like this post is vested interest and I am a paid advertisement as a result.

General-

Of these 3 cars, only one had a prior tune and that car only had fuel changes. They all had stock timing maps. They could have been flashed back to stock for sure, there is no way to check. The fact that they were stock, leads me to believe based on the mods, they were more or less just drivers and not racecars.

The Blue IX has what appears to be an ETS turbo kit on it and stock injectors. It had something of a tune. The Black car has a Magnus Sheetmetal intake on it and a stock tune and didnt really want to run or idle before I got to it. The MR and the Yellow GSR were stock as far as I could tell under the hood, the MR might have had an exhaust. The GSR was totally stock.

OF all the people in this thread that have posted negative comments about Sea-Auto in general there was only person with any legitimate claim and even then there are 2 sides to that story I am sure. They had a customer named Kelly that bought a white MR that had some tune issues and a bad fan. Kelly brought it to us to get it looked at and repaired, we did so and Sea-Auto reimbursed him for the total amount. That doesnt sound dishonest to me or a rip off. I have had to deal with dealerships in Vancouver that send cars to us and then charge the customer and wait 3 months to pay us. Those are "americans", nationality had ZERO to do with being honest, either you are or you aren't.

I should have this thread deleted since it hasnt been constructive in any way.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I cant check the motor with a borescope, transmission or T-case oil, boost leak, or any of the bigger maintenance items. The point of this thread was not that these cars are perfect and guaranteed to not have other issues down the road. We are just giving them the best starting point we can for the new buyer from what I can do in 45min. I got paid $50 a car to check them out so its not like this post is vested interest and I am a paid advertisement as a result.
At first I was pretty disappointed that you guys weren't doing this when we bought our evo. After reading this statement above this wouldn't have helped us anyway considering the car didn't have any fluid in the trans and the dealership obviously isn't checking the fluids or doing a "safety" inspection on their vehicles. I did buy all new redline fluids to put in the car myself but I guess I should have done that the day off considering the car didnt even last 2 weeks. But for anyone that can't tell if one of the evo's needs brake pads, alignment or maybe some tires maybe its worth it to pay english to look over the car. Just make sure you check all the fluids yourself because the dealership most certainly will not. Id check all the VIN # on the fenders, hood, trunk, doors, motor, trans, door jams make sure theres no overspray like that grey porsche they have. Just remember all these evo's come from dealer auctions so you need to check EVERYTHING! Or you're gonna be paying over 20 grand for a car with a bad trans, motor, t-case, rear diff. Only thing that's good about this whole situation is this evo we bought hasn't been in an accident.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props to English Racing for setting things right. +1 to Sea-Auto for pursuing the right technical know-how (ER) to fix what they have done wrong in the past.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DecepticonsMR
Props to English Racing for setting things right. +1 to Sea-Auto for pursuing the right technical know-how (ER) to fix what they have done wrong in the past.
Exactly what was fixed that was wrong in the past? Sea Auto is just using ER name to sell their poor quality cars, even more of a reason for sea auto to not inspect their evo's.