Notices

Towing with an Outlander Sport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chilu00000000
Its very strange that at least for USA or Canadian models they don't allow/recommend towing with our models. My dealer told me that I would void warranty right away if I tried to do any towing or added a hitch. I looked at other sites and I know diesel models can tow for sure but also the gasoline models have a tow rating.

The dealer told me its because the engine/transmission isn't sized for towing. I really don't understand why in some countries its allowed and others its not? Do these countries defy the laws of towing physics?

A bit weird since as far as I can tell all the models around the world are pretty much the same other than some are diesel and have a ton of torque so thats understandable.

Is everyone else getting the same from their dealers?
You know what it is...?
It's called 10year Warranty AND a Class-Action law suit.

(I haven't personally checked but probably) Other countries don't have strict warranty laws nor lawyers who are worth 2 cents to fight for "owner rights" IF/WHEN after you tow something with your car and you smell a burnt transmission oil, or funnier - your transmission/axle drops out of your vehicle.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't told

I talked to my dealer, and my Mitsubishi Service dept. before I hooked mine up and they her said anything about voiding warrenty at all.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:37 AM
mgb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
You know what it is...?

(I haven't personally checked but probably) Other countries don't have strict warranty laws nor lawyers who are worth 2 cents to fight for "owner rights" IF/WHEN after you tow something with your car and you smell a burnt transmission oil, or funnier - your transmission/axle drops out of your vehicle.
I think you're on the right track when it comes to laws but rather than there not being warranty laws or lawyers worth 2 cents in other countries it's more down to the litigation happy population here

I looked up the 1.6l ASX in the UK and it has a tow capacity (brake assisted) of about 2600lbs
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:45 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's the CVT. It's not intended to or capable of handling much added weight.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:49 AM
mgb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
It's the same for many, many other cars here that are also sold around the world so nah.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:54 AM
mgb
Evolving Member

Interesting :- http://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto-...ng-conspiracy/

I should add that in the UK at least there are different speed limits if you are towing, 10mph lower than the standard 60 and 70mph depending on the type of road.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:36 PM

Do any of you guys have the rear diffuser and the tow hitch? I am just wondering if the Tow hitch with clear the rear diffuser.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
You know what it is...?

Lol yup America is so good at everything and so awesome, Mitsu is scared... And this is why we are behind every other country, because we think we are ahead of everybody.

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
So are those of us rocking 5 speeds able to tow more?

Last edited by Side-Swipe; Mar 23, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Side-Swipe
Lol yup America is so good at everything and so awesome, Mitsu is scared... And this is why we are behind every other country, because we think we are ahead of everybody.

So are those of us rocking 5 speeds able to tow more?
Woah now..
You're putting words in my mouth.
All I said was American lawyers & class-action. I didn't say or implied America was "first" in anything.

Perhaps first country with the most obese population...

Perhaps the 5-speed-ers should do some testing and share the results.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:37 AM

do any of you guys have the rear diffuser and the tow hitch? I am just wondering if the Tow hitch with clear the rear diffuser.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:29 PM

guess not, i guess ill find out myself.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the JigGa mAn
guess not, i guess ill find out myself.
on the 2013, the Curt hitch is below the bumper by about an inch or so.
I have the exterior kit and no problems with rubbing or touching.

Here it is on the OS.

Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisHostos
on the 2013, the Curt hitch is below the bumper by about an inch or so.
I have the exterior kit and no problems with rubbing or touching.

Here it is on the OS.

Thanks bud! Installed curt hitch on 2011 OS with aerokit and no problems! Will post pics tomorrow!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Going to bring back an old topic. The wife and I are updating our dirt bike collection (once tax mulla rolls in) and have been considering adding a hitch. I have used a hitch carrier before on a buddies jeep hauling his gsxr 750 and that was from AZ to Iowa. Any one try a set up like this yet? The hitches are pretty cheap and so are the carriers. Something that would be used maybe 2-3 times a month. Hauling a CRF250r and CRF150rb, I'd say about 430lb's for the bikes and the carrier is maybe 50-75lb's? I'd love to do the dual, but have read some scary $hit. Heres some pictures for reference. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Towing with an Outlander Sport?-mdx-carrier.jpg   Towing with an Outlander Sport?-amc6002_2_1000.jpg  
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hamman
Going to bring back an old topic. The wife and I are updating our dirt bike collection (once tax mulla rolls in) and have been considering adding a hitch. I have used a hitch carrier before on a buddies jeep hauling his gsxr 750 and that was from AZ to Iowa. Any one try a set up like this yet? The hitches are pretty cheap and so are the carriers. Something that would be used maybe 2-3 times a month. Hauling a CRF250r and CRF150rb, I'd say about 430lb's for the bikes and the carrier is maybe 50-75lb's? I'd love to do the dual, but have read some scary $hit. Heres some pictures for reference. Thanks!
Well, if you get the Curt Class III hitch and half decent carrier + drive conservatively... You shouldn't have any problems.

> Burtonrider has towed a 900lb trailer (empty) ,and
> I've hauled ~400lb of cinder blocks off my Curt hitch using a $40-atv carrier.

So, between those weights that should cover what you're trying to do. Just make sure you secure those bikes!

Quick Reply: Towing with an Outlander Sport?