Notices

Towing with an Outlander Sport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Well, if you get the Curt Class III hitch and half decent carrier + drive conservatively... You shouldn't have any problems.

> Burtonrider has towed a 900lb trailer (empty) ,and
> I've hauled ~400lb of cinder blocks off my Curt hitch using a $40-atv carrier.

So, between those weights that should cover what you're trying to do. Just make sure you secure those bikes!

SAWEEEETTT! That picture proves it! Thank you for the info! Need to start ordering the parts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamman
SAWEEEETTT! That picture proves it! Thank you for the info! Need to start ordering the parts
ha ha..
Figured the photo would help, make up your mind.
Here's the original thread >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...cessories.html

I should state that I only drove about 3 miles from HomeDepot to my house with that much weight. So,...

** Disclaimer - IF your bike(s) fall off due to WHATEVER reason or act of God... Don't come crying to me. **

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jan 29, 2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

I'll keep that in mind.....Doesn't look like your suspension is too sagged out either. Looking to order the class 3 from Curt this weekend. Thanks again for the support
Old Feb 7, 2015, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Finally got in the curt class 3 hitch this week, going to install tonight. I noticed on Curts website that the tongue weight is only 350lb's. I am starting to wonder about having the bikes on there being at about 400lbs for the bikes and a carrier that probably weighs another 40-50lbs. Any one able to chime in? I'm seeing a lot of "towing" info but not a lot of "carrier" style info. As always guys, thanks for all the info!!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Finally got in the curt class 3 hitch this week, going to install tonight. I noticed on Curts website that the tongue weight is only 350lb's. I am starting to wonder about having the bikes on there being at about 400lbs for the bikes and a carrier that probably weighs another 40-50lbs. Any one able to chime in? I'm seeing a lot of "towing" info but not a lot of "carrier" style info. As always guys, thanks for all the info!!

-- Well at least it's not Made in China, where a 350lb tongue weight is Probably a 'guesstimate' of the max maximum limit. -- (As compared to the Curt which is Made in USA)

But, All joking aside >
Then Perhaps it's best to invest in a trailer to haul your two bikes, that will remove ALL Doubt regarding the safety and capacity of what you're wanting to do.

Be smart, be safe!

Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:45 PM
mgb
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamman, I think the fact that you're asking means you already know, if you know what I mean. An insurance company would love to find out that the carrier is only rated for 350lbs if anything bad were to happen, you'be near 100lbs over the spec, it's quite substantial.

It's too bad because it sounded like a great solution, also too bad that Curt make a number of other hitches rated over 500lb tongue but they don't list as being compatible with our car.

mRVR has the answer but it might be worth seeing if you could talk to Curt directly.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

MGB, very true. Already looking at small trailers. Keeping that damn thing parked though is another situation...Any who...is this a 5/8" or 1/2" hitch pin? thanks
Old Feb 7, 2015, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

MGB, very true. Already looking at small trailers. Keeping that damn thing parked though is another situation...Any who...is this a 5/8" or 1/2" hitch pin? thanks

it takes a 5/8" pin.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Feb 7, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hitch mounted with bike carrier. Will be taking the crf about 45min away from home tomorrow. Should do just fine
Attached Thumbnails Towing with an Outlander Sport?-image.jpg  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

45 miles both ways. no issues!
Attached Thumbnails Towing with an Outlander Sport?-img_2921.jpg   Towing with an Outlander Sport?-img_2920.jpg  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

@Hamman

One safety concern you need to keep in mind is Understeer...
When I had all those weight on my carrier it DID jack up my frontend >

Perhaps it's not that extreme with just one bike, but IF you load up with two... Just keep that in mind when you go around turns at speed. Just a friendly heads up.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am thinking about getting a trailer, being the tongue weight is only 350lb. Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

To the guys that are towing trailers behind, are running the curt light kit too? Haven't seen much posted about trailer lighting. Thanks as always for all the help!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Wondering myself about the wiring. I was fortunate enough to find and add locally where a woman was selling at Class 3 Curt hitch with wiring kit still in the box for $80 so I jumped on it. Wiring looks very doable, however I've only done a lot of wiring in my old RX7 where the battery was in the back, much easier. So I was wondering what "path" to run the positive wire up from the rear up under the hood to the battery?

Also, has anyone had any issue related to the warranty. I'm really only planning on using a bike attachment or basket attachment for camping supplies, maybe the odd small trailer if needed and I would hate for this to the void any warranty. I'm not running the CVT though.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Did some playing around with it this weekend. Found that the Green with white strip on the rear is the tail's. Solid green is brake. I could get the trailer lights to brake ok, but being our rear lights are LED, power was not transferring properly. Lights also would not work when I would power on the car lights. Said F it after an hour and went and bought some battery operated LED lights and a load of reflective tape.

Quick Reply: Towing with an Outlander Sport?