Notices

New Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
New Outlander Sport

We're an all Mitsu family now! We traded in the wife's 06 CR-V that had 106k miles, and paid off the Evo today. I worked with Samson at Hallmark Mitsubishi in Nashville. The sales, management, and service at this dealership are great, and very unlike any local Mitsubishi dealership I've dealt with in the past (in the best way possible).

Here's a couple of pics:

The actual observed whp is pretty tepid according to my butt dyno, but we love this car! The Fuse system is great, nice factory stereo, and AWD makes it feel really sure footed. I love the way it looks, best small ute out there in appearance, and features for the price, IMO.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw the interior of the sport and the nav system is very high tech. nice choice!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats. I actually traded in my Outlander Sport for my Evo. I liked the Outlander Sport. But it was one of the slowest and loudest (from engine bay) vehicles I had ever driven. And I am not a fan of the CVT either. If they had offered a v-6 GT version with a normal transmission I would have been a happy camper.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 07:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

It's lots quieter than my Evo.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
It's lots quieter than my Evo.
My Evo is louder but in a good way. I hear the sound come from the exhaust. If I needed to accelerate in the Outlander Sport I would pretty much have to floor it. The rpm's would shoot up but the mph would climb slowly. And the car got really loud. It is just under powered and they used very little sound dampening between the engine bay and the inside of the car.

Like I said overall I didn't have many complaints and I got an excellent price. Infact I didn't loose money when I traded it in a year later. If they would offer a larger engine option, offer something other than the CVT, and add a little sound dampening it would be an excellent well rounded CUV.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

In the interest of full disclosure, the engine noises from not enough cabin sound isolation and the CVT's unnatural revving caused my wife to walk out of the dealership the first night and keep looking at other cars. The bang for the buck compared to what else is out there brought her back and sealed the purchase, though.

There are two sides to this, the first is the car guy side. Would this be a much better car if it had a Ralliart engine and SST option? Definitely. Every car guy's dream: Exhaust, injectors, turbo upgrade: Sleeper street assassin kid hauler ready to humble some punk's Corvette.

The important part to distinguish, though, is this isn't a car to replace my Evo at all. So on the other side of the argument, it's purchase intention was to be a daily driver for my wife. She doesn't care about horsepower, she wants decent fuel economy, a low entry price, and all wheel drive. And in that capacity, it's an awesome little car!

I noticed that the engine is really quiet at low RPM and on the interstate. I sort of treated this like a hypermiling challenge while keeping it hushed as possible, and drove 70 miles, using just a hair more than two gallons of gas, averaging 68mph. Try that in a turbo 4B11! Since we'll use it to take trips with the kids, I wouldn't mind a little bump in power when I'm driving. My Evo's old K&N was under my work bench, and it fits according to Highboost. I'm also going to send the ROM over to Razorlab/Bryan for a little love after we get 1k miles on it.

The first two years of this car are made and assembled in Japan. I kind of like that. It's a bit slower than the CR-V we retired, but it's a better mini 'ute in every other way. Hopefully the flash and drop in filter will even the score a bit for when I'm driving and need to pass on the Interstate.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
In the interest of full disclosure, the engine noises from not enough cabin sound isolation and the CVT's unnatural revving caused my wife to walk out of the dealership the first night and keep looking at other cars. The bang for the buck compared to what else is out there brought her back and sealed the purchase, though.

There are two sides to this, the first is the car guy side. Would this be a much better car if it had a Ralliart engine and SST option? Definitely. Every car guy's dream: Exhaust, injectors, turbo upgrade: Sleeper street assassin kid hauler ready to humble some punk's Corvette.

The important part to distinguish, though, is this isn't a car to replace my Evo at all. So on the other side of the argument, it's purchase intention was to be a daily driver for my wife. She doesn't care about horsepower, she wants decent fuel economy, a low entry price, and all wheel drive. And in that capacity, it's an awesome little car!

I noticed that the engine is really quiet at low RPM and on the interstate. I sort of treated this like a hypermiling challenge while keeping it hushed as possible, and drove 70 miles, using just a hair more than two gallons of gas, averaging 68mph. Try that in a turbo 4B11! Since we'll use it to take trips with the kids, I wouldn't mind a little bump in power when I'm driving. My Evo's old K&N was under my work bench, and it fits according to Highboost. I'm also going to send the ROM over to Razorlab/Bryan for a little love after we get 1k miles on it.

The first two years of this car are made and assembled in Japan. I kind of like that. It's a bit slower than the CR-V we retired, but it's a better mini 'ute in every other way. Hopefully the flash and drop in filter will even the score a bit for when I'm driving and need to pass on the Interstate.
let me know what the results on the outlander when Bryan gets his hands on the ROM, We have the same combo but mine is an '11 and we use it around town alot more than the evo, I feel that it needs a lil bit more power especially when your trying to pass a truck in the highway.

But congrats on the new car and the payoff on the evo!!!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 01:23 PM

Congrats on the new ride and paying off the Evo. We too are an all Mitsu family Evo and Evo.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I was considering a OS but everybody said the power sucks and loud noise kind of dropped my interest in it a bit.... 2012 ES(cvt) / 2012 GT(cvt) / 2012 OS 2wd(CVT)? Which one should I get..... Also I've owned a 2011 GTS and it is also a bit noisy while driving(wind sound).
Old Aug 8, 2012, 02:13 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice! That K&N filter will make a big difference. Still not enough power, but you'll notice it I guess. I most noticably saw MPG gains with the filter over HP gains.

PLEASE! keep us updated on the tune because I would not be opposed to getting mine done. Coming from a GTO to a modded Audi USP A4 and now down to THIS has been brutal lol. I ended up buying a bike to fulfill my need for acceleration
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

My only issues with the Outlander Sport was the engine noise, lack of power, and average interior. Overall though it was a very practical vehicle. We owned it for almost a year. I would still have it now but I wanted my Evo. So I either needed to trade in the 11 Outlander Sport or my 08 Eclipse Spyder. And the Eclipse is paid off. I asked my wife which vehicle she wanted and she chose the Eclipse so thats why we traded in the OS. I paid $18k brand new (before tt&l) for the SE so I didn't really loose money on the trade in. If I was to buy another CUV there would be a few others I would look at though:

Jeep Compass:
23/29 mpg
2.4L engine
$19,300-$24,300

Kia Sportage
22/32 mpg
176hp/260hp
$19,300-$29,200

Hyundai Tucson
2.0L 165hp
2.4L 176hp
$19,245-$25,445

Outlander Sport
2.0L 148hp
$19,620-$24.120

Pricing is for the base model and the higher level model but does not factor in options. Also there are many variables obviously that can affect pricing in your local area.

If I ever needed a CUV in the future I would look in the OS's direction again. Like I said it was a very practical car and at a good price. But I didnt really test drive other similar manu/models before buying the OS. And I knew it was kind of slow but didnt think it would bother me that much. I didnt remember the car being so loud during the test drive. But I also didnt drive very fast and accelerated slowly and as others have said it isn't very loud in the lower RPM's so thats probably why I didnt pay attention to the engine noise.

Overall though not bad of a vehicle.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Don't forget to add the outlander sport weights in around 200LBS less than all the cars you're comparing it to. With the exception being the compass is only 100lbs heavier.

it makes the 15-20HP difference not as far off. I don't disagree that the OS is underpowered and a bit buzzy sounding but in real world driving in the Northeast US the car is perfect to DD. Only times I even notice the sound and power is if I need to pull out fast into traffic which is not all that often where I live. The CVT is more annoying that any of the other downfalls of the car.

I traded a Mountaineer that was a V8 and the first thought was the power and tq difference was going to kill me but in the end it really is not as bad as it sounds on paper or when you are test driving the car. You really don't get over that until you spend a good amount of time behind the wheel. Makes for a good daily driver I think the overall mistake everyone makes is thinking because it has sport written into its name it should be more powerful. Perhaps the RA lancer motor will be a future option. We all know there is a TON of room under the hood to fit the turbo and all its plumbing
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Kendogg
My only issues with the Outlander Sport was the engine noise, lack of power, and average interior. Overall though it was a very practical vehicle. We owned it for almost a year. I would still have it now but I wanted my Evo. So I either needed to trade in the 11 Outlander Sport or my 08 Eclipse Spyder. And the Eclipse is paid off. I asked my wife which vehicle she wanted and she chose the Eclipse so thats why we traded in the OS. I paid $18k brand new (before tt&l) for the SE so I didn't really loose money on the trade in. If I was to buy another CUV there would be a few others I would look at though:

Jeep Compass:
23/29 mpg
2.4L engine
$19,300-$24,300

Kia Sportage
22/32 mpg
176hp/260hp
$19,300-$29,200

Hyundai Tucson
2.0L 165hp
2.4L 176hp
$19,245-$25,445

Outlander Sport
2.0L 148hp
$19,620-$24.120

Pricing is for the base model and the higher level model but does not factor in options. Also there are many variables obviously that can affect pricing in your local area.

If I ever needed a CUV in the future I would look in the OS's direction again. Like I said it was a very practical car and at a good price. But I didnt really test drive other similar manu/models before buying the OS. And I knew it was kind of slow but didnt think it would bother me that much. I didnt remember the car being so loud during the test drive. But I also didnt drive very fast and accelerated slowly and as others have said it isn't very loud in the lower RPM's so thats probably why I didnt pay attention to the engine noise.

Overall though not bad of a vehicle.
Well, we did test drive others. A lot.

It might be old prejudices against pathetic resale, but I can't roll with a Korean or domestic vehicle, even thought the Compass, Outlander, and Lancer are on the same platform. The Ford Escape almost tempted me, but Mitsu just gave us so much more money off the front end. Honda isn't doing dink on the CR-V, and like their entire line, content is lacking, warranty is not competitive, and they have engineered the excitement out of every single car and truck they make. Hyundai/Kia got crushed in the C&D mini ute comparo this month, and the local Kia dealer is a shark tank, turbo model unavailable notwithstanding.

The Mazda looks nice, but my wife didn't like it. The looks of the OS (I vehemently refuse to call it an "outie"), the standard content, Fuse, and price point won the day.

Speaking of Fuse, BT from my iPhone sends everything without fuss: MP3s on the drive, Spotify, and Waze navigation through the speakers. Other than Sync, nothing else worked so well on the fly with our phones.

I love this little mini ute!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Curt hitch and Thule T2 bike rack installed!
I will post some pics tonight if I remember.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Not even gonna throw a shoutout to the person that turned you onto this car? I see how it is.

Quick Reply: New Outlander Sport