Notices

Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit

Hi Guys,

I guess I will give this one last chance before surrender to the dealer price of $288

Does anybody know how to install the HID Kit based on the current pictures? I mean, I know how to do the whole ballast relay etc. How do I get the plug of the weather cap?? Has anybody done HID's on the Outlander Sport?

The SE 4WD doesn't with HID's, the low beam is an H11 in a projector housing.

Any help will be appreciated!

Diego
Attached Thumbnails Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-low_beam-003.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-low_beam-005.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-low_beam-002.jpg  
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 AM

I just made a second hole in the cap. That way I can easily put back the original lamps when I have MOT inspection coming up. Some duc-tape over the hole and it's waterproofed again.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dieguito07
Hi Guys,

I guess I will give this one last chance before surrender to the dealer price of $288

Does anybody know how to install the HID Kit based on the current pictures? I mean, I know how to do the whole ballast relay etc. How do I get the plug of the weather cap?? Has anybody done HID's on the Outlander Sport?

The SE 4WD doesn't with HID's, the low beam is an H11 in a projector housing.

Any help will be appreciated!

Diego

I bought this HID http://www.ebay.com/itm/271180513175--- slim ballast but only 35w vs 55w. All I did was connect the harness and ballast and slip the ballast inside the weather cap. Highly recommend a slim ballast if you dont want to drill a hole in your weather cap.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:35 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlandersprt13
I bought this HID http://www.ebay.com/itm/271180513175--- slim ballast but only 35w vs 55w. All I did was connect the harness and ballast and slip the ballast inside the weather cap. Highly recommend a slim ballast if you dont want to drill a hole in your weather cap.
Boom! Since the ballast will fit that sounds like a PERFECT solution to your problem, Dieguito07
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Damn... are you saying it's only $35 to add some HID Xenons to our O.Sports!!

Do you have any pics of your install?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:19 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah... DDM Tuning is a pretty well known HID company and they cost about the same as the eBay junk.

www.ddmtuning.com
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:28 AM

Smile

Hey Outlandersprt13,

Do you have a picture of your install? I am curious. how did you manage to connect the harness and ballast and slip the ballast inside the weather cap with that grommet??

Thank you so much for the help guys! I always liked DDM..
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
most of the time ballasts wont fit in the housing of the headlights from my experience. That is why you need to drillout a hole and run the wires. Most decent hid kits come with a grommet on the wires already to cover the hole.

HIDs in a non hid headlight is not exactly ideal but will work.

$288 for a HID from the dealer? would this be a whole headlight setup? just the OEM bulb? that doesn't sound right to me since you cant just throw the OEM HID bulb into a non HID housing. I remember for the evos with a HID housing with ballasts and bulb you were looking at $800-1000 when i worked at mitsu.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SicLanEvo
most of the time ballasts wont fit in the housing of the headlights from my experience. That is why you need to drillout a hole and run the wires. Most decent hid kits come with a grommet on the wires already to cover the hole.

HIDs in a non hid headlight is not exactly ideal but will work.

$288 for a HID from the dealer? would this be a whole headlight setup? just the OEM bulb? that doesn't sound right to me since you cant just throw the OEM HID bulb into a non HID housing. I remember for the evos with a HID housing with ballasts and bulb you were looking at $800-1000 when i worked at mitsu.
I called and verified it is $299+tax the kit with install.

What I find unbelievable is that I ask them about the plug and they suggested to cut the cable and that they have never done any RVR WTF........
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Damn... are you saying it's only $35 to add some HID Xenons to our O.Sports!!

Do you have any pics of your install?
I actually bought it for $10 to try it out, not entirely sure if its still $10 bucks but it works. plus easy install. Took me only 5 minutes. Plug everything and just slip the ballast inside and closed it with the weather cap without drilling a hole.

Attached pics is ****ty but hopefully you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-2.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-1.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-3.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-4.jpg   Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit-5.jpg  

Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I actually bought it for $10 to try it out, not entirely sure if its still $10 bucks but it works. plus easy install. Took me only 5 minutes. Plug everything and just slip the ballast inside and closed it with the weather cap without drilling a hole.

DAMN!

Very slick install > Slip the whole ballast box into the housing.

For $10 bucks, I'll take a dozen please.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I called and verified it is $299+tax the kit with install.

What I find unbelievable is that I ask them about the plug and they suggested to cut the cable and that they have never done any RVR WTF........
I would not trust them then at all. that sounds way too shady! i would want to see the hid kit they would get you!

The housings in the outlander must be bigger then the last couple i have dealt with doing installs, nice work fitting it all in!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:44 PM

DUDE!!!! This is sick!! For that money as mRVRsport I want a dozen!

SicLanEvo as the dealer goes I don't trust them at all!! They are very very shaddy the never done an RVR before and when I talked to the guy in parts he said that the kit for the RVR has a special harness and is an extra 120 putting the whole kit at almost $500 retarded!!

At least I am pumped that if a slim ballast fit I will put it all inside the cap!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:14 AM

Is there any danger on having the whole system inside the cap?
I have a Mitsu Operations Manual for the Outlander Sport/RVR and there makes no mention of to what is inside there?

I just don't want to cause a major fire or for the ballast to start getting hot and cause one.

Any mitsubishi techs out there?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any danger on having the whole system inside the cap?
I have a Mitsu Operations Manual for the Outlander Sport/RVR and there makes no mention of to what is inside there?

I just don't want to cause a major fire or for the ballast to start getting hot and cause one.

Any mitsubishi techs out there?
That's a legit concern..
However if there's no heatsinks on the ballast module, it wouldn't be that hot to begin with, right? The headlight housing are design to withstand the "standard" heat output of a 50W halogen bulb, so it should be fine... theoretically.

Quick Reply: Outlander Sport (RVR) HID Kit