Notices

throttle issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle issue

I am about to sell this car due to the fact that it trys to decelerate as i am accelerating. It'slike I am fighting the car up to 30 miles an hour. I hope this makes sense but I am not sure itthis ECO mode is trying to hold back my RPM's or what but it is driving mecrazy to the point of putting it on Craigslist.

The dealer seems that they can do nothing. Has anyone had this happen? Can I re-flash the ECU??? My 2011 Outback have the CVT and it drives perfect. I like the car but I can't deal with this.

Last edited by outlandersport; Dec 3, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 13 LE and it does it. It's the CVT going through the gears to save fuel economy. If you do gas it the car has a very close 1st and 2nd shift point and hangs at the 4000 rpm range for a bit. How many miles do you have? I just hit 7K and mine has smoothed out and accelerates better now.

I usually use the paddle shifters when I get on the road and run it to 3500 Roma before shifting in 3 rd to 6th then go into Eco drive when I hit 55. It works with little to no MPG loss...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You could try either a Sprint Booster or something like an RRM PCM Piggyback tuner. I know it's not ideal or inexpensive, but it might solve your issue.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:37 PM

Thanks guys!

I tried the shifters and my mpg went to 19. I just wish it would drive without the fight. Do the 14' do this.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by outlandersport
Thanks guys! I tried the shifters and my mpg went to 19. I just wish it would drive without the fight. Do the 14' do this.
The trick with the shifters is to feather off the throttle as you approach your target speed. MPG will drop but less than you see. Mistu's fuel computers aren't great so your MPG loss is less than displayed. You can make the loss up in a few miles.

You really have to wait it out. The car WILL come around at an arbitrary mileage between 3500 and 7000. Mine gave me good MPGs once or twice but now I'm consistent at 28 to 30. The photo attached is my drive home yesterday. 33.8 when the car is templated for 29 highway. As you see I just broke 7K but my CVT is much smoother and the shifting is better. It will break in when it wants to. Give it time.
Attached Thumbnails throttle issue-image-855053754.jpg  
Old Dec 4, 2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BTBean
The trick with the shifters is to feather off the throttle as you approach your target speed. MPG will drop but less than you see. Mistu's fuel computers aren't great so your MPG loss is less than displayed. You can make the loss up in a few miles.

You really have to wait it out. The car WILL come around at an arbitrary mileage between 3500 and 7000. Mine gave me good MPGs once or twice but now I'm consistent at 28 to 30. The photo attached is my drive home yesterday. 33.8 when the car is templated for 29 highway. As you see I just broke 7K but my CVT is much smoother and the shifting is better. It will break in when it wants to. Give it time.
WTF!!?? How is this possible? You are like the 97th person I have seen get MPG like that. I am a veteran high MPG driver. I consider myself a hypermilling master. I had the first Honda Insight (AVG 58.2 MPG) and the new Honda Insight (AVG 52.1 MPG). I am very familiar with how to drive to get great MPG. The highest I have gotten in this car is 25. Is there something wrong? I never go into AWD. I use 87 octane. I have 37k miles now. Area is pretty much all level. Driving steady 65mph, instant MPG is around 27. It does go up to 33 but I think of touching the accelerator and it drops to 22. Is my CVT screwed? Aside from it being noisy and having a mind of its own, it appears to drive OK.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kspann
WTF!!?? How is this possible? You are like the 97th person I have seen get MPG like that. I am a veteran high MPG driver. I consider myself a hypermilling master. I had the first Honda Insight (AVG 58.2 MPG) and the new Honda Insight (AVG 52.1 MPG). I am very familiar with how to drive to get great MPG. The highest I have gotten in this car is 25. Is there something wrong? I never go into AWD. I use 87 octane. I have 37k miles now. Area is pretty much all level. Driving steady 65mph, instant MPG is around 27. It does go up to 33 but I think of touching the accelerator and it drops to 22. Is my CVT screwed? Aside from it being noisy and having a mind of its own, it appears to drive OK.
Don't go over 55 for highway and don't stay near 2,000 rpm for too long when gaining speed. Sometimes staying by 2k rpm is worse than going up to almost 3k rpm to get to speed.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ride the highway between 65-70 and get amazing mileage. I don't like the fuel computers because they are never right and can be reset while driving.... Fill up your tank reset your trip miles and drive until you fill up fully then take your trip miles divided by gallons in and that's your real MPG..... the 65-70 cruising speed for me being light on the throttle has been the best and I have 26k on my 2013. I made a couple trips to florida and didn't stop for 500 miles at a time and I do not drive slow when making my long trips....

I am going to do a exhaust and intake, plus pulley and tune and see what I can do. the car is slow, but it gets me to work and hauls my stuff while maintaining higher mpgs then almost every car I have owned.

I don't know if the CVT can be reflashed or if anyone has had success, but I will be talking to some tuners soon about it.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:18 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kspann
The CVT is a whole different animal. It really takes some fineness to start seeing MPG gains
Old Dec 8, 2013, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

I run the Mobil 1 full synthetic, 0W-20. Switch to it, a great oil that along with the Mobil one filter we saw our mpg go up. That and we run/ran the cosworth air filter or the k and n air filter.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by outlandersport
I am about to sell this car due to the fact that it trys to decelerate as i am accelerating. It'slike I am fighting the car up to 30 miles an hour. I hope this makes sense but I am not sure itthis ECO mode is trying to hold back my RPM's or what but it is driving mecrazy to the point of putting it on Craigslist.

The dealer seems that they can do nothing. Has anyone had this happen? Can I re-flash the ECU??? My 2011 Outback have the CVT and it drives perfect. I like the car but I can't deal with this.

A CVT Transmission doesn't really have "Gears" it has set points in its paddle shift mode to simulate Gears. When you say your CVT hovers at a particular RPM point is because it is attempting to remain in the best possible Fuel Economy to Power Ratio while accelerating. I suggest doing some quick youtubing or reading on how your Transmission works so you have a better understanding of what exactly is happening. As well, It only has a Naturally Aspirated 2.0L and the RVR/ASX/Outlander Sport is a vehicle in Mitsubishi's world fleet based upon its move to become a more fuel efficient car manufacturer. Its not an EVO.

Wikipedia

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission that can change seamlessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that offer a fixed number of gear ratios. The flexibility of a CVT allows the input shaft to always maintain a constant angular velocity

CVT can provide better fuel economy than other transmissions by enabling the engine to run at its most efficient revolutions per minute (RPM) for a range of vehicle speeds. It can also be used to build a kinetic energy recovery system.

Alternatively it can be used to maximize the performance of a vehicle by allowing the engine to turn at the RPM at which it produces peak power. This is typically higher than the RPM that achieves peak efficiency. Finally, a CVT does not strictly require the presence of a clutch, allowing its dismissal. In some vehicles though (e.g. motorcycles), a centrifugal clutch is nevertheless added, however this is only to provide a "neutral" stance on a motorcycle (useful when idling, or manually reversing into a parking space).