Notices

Ralliart Turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ralliart Turbo set up

I got an offer to buy a full Mitsubishi OEM Ralliart FULL turbo set up, intercooler, piping, ect., with very low miles on it, everything is in great working condition....super cheap.... kind of torn wanted to do a NA set up for reliability, but I love and miss a turbo vehicle. This would be so awesome if it is tuned properly...
The ralliart set up really interests me for safty and reliability issues on the CVT trans, over having an EVOX set up and higher boost, plus the price. The Ralliart guys want the EVOX set up and swap frequently selling there full set ups...

I really was hoping that someone would do this mod before me, so I could use they trial and error advise to make the set up go smoothly on my install being a daily driver and all.

Guess this is me just vent and seeking advise or PROs/Con's on the subject of this project...

So that being said any advise on installation, tuning, reliability, integrity of the internals of the 4B11 motor in our vehicles VS. Ralliart or the EVOX?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Sub'd.

GO FOR IT!!!
I'll bring the beer!!

That surely will be an One-up on them Malaynian's Modders!
And, when you eventually get a set of those EVO X carbon fiber hoods, it'll not just be for show..

Plus, if you need some inspiration & support - Here's my 2 cents worth >

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 3, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

I was so excited then I realized that it was photo shopped...
I have also located an Evo X intake manifold, Evo X fuel rail (rail has different serieal number than the Outlander sport), injectors, and fuel pump as well. I have already bought an EVO X throttle body to mount up for the NA set up I am going to do regardless.

I am going to install the throttle body and cams and valve springs (when I get ahold of a pair/set) out of an EVO X for sure, as soon as I can figure something out with the tuning of the vehicle. If that goes well I am thinking the next set would and should be the Ralliart Turbo set up, and if that is the case it would be hard to pass up the offer I got....
but at the same time I need the cash for the cams, valve springs, the install, and the tuning... ugh.
Oh and getting the wife on board with the project since it is my daily driver... I have done this once before on my daily drive 1998 Toyota corolla... it was fun but difficult and EVERYTHING was custom on that car...

I figure since the 4B11 motor is for most parts the same as far as bolting the exhaust manifold, intake manifold up (the real reliable parts) well this would make the install go a bit easier...

I so want to pull the trigger on this but am worried about down time of the vehicle and my work schedule, whish I still had my little putt putt s-10 daily beater to take to work for awhile...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

this is the custom set up my dad and I did for the corolla back in the day, very challenging to say the least I loved it because of its rarity but at times was a huge headache, always throwing out CV joints because no LSD on the FWD. boost would come up at 2200 RPM and be Full peak at around 3000 holding either the 6.5 lbs of boost I would run regularly or the 12 lbs of boost I would hit at the track with race gas!
@ 1/2 a bar of boost she put down 168hp and 202 ft lbs of torque, stock was something like 109hp and 120 ft lbs not positive through... good times...

makes me soooooo want to do this under taking again...
Attached Thumbnails Ralliart Turbo set up-20140516_194812.jpg   Ralliart Turbo set up-img_897167203333209.jpeg   Ralliart Turbo set up-img_897143999537323.jpg   Ralliart Turbo set up-img_897158539661455.jpeg  
Old Oct 3, 2014, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
I was so excited then I realized that it was photo shopped...
I have also located an Evo X intake manifold, Evo X fuel rail (rail has different serieal number than the Outlander sport), injectors, and fuel pump as well. I have already bought an EVO X throttle body to mount up for the NA set up I am going to do regardless.

I am going to install the throttle body and cams and valve springs (when I get ahold of a pair/set) out of an EVO X for sure, as soon as I can figure something out with the tuning of the vehicle. If that goes well I am thinking the next set would and should be the Ralliart Turbo set up, and if that is the case it would be hard to pass up the offer I got....
but at the same time I need the cash for the cams, valve springs, the install, and the tuning... ugh.
Oh and getting the wife on board with the project since it is my daily driver... I have done this once before on my daily drive 1998 Toyota corolla... it was fun but difficult and EVERYTHING was custom on that car...

I figure since the 4B11 motor is for most parts the same as far as bolting the exhaust manifold, intake manifold up (the real reliable parts) well this would make the install go a bit easier...

I so want to pull the trigger on this but am worried about down time of the vehicle and my work schedule, whish I still had my little putt putt s-10 daily beater to take to work for awhile...
Well, yeah it's a Shopped photo, but:
1. It did exactly what it suppose to > Pegged your interest.
2. Just so you know, I didn't resize the photos, so the "fit" of everything you see fits perfectly in our engine bay.

Need to say no more...
Getting the wife on board and finding the extra $$$ for projects are things I'm very familar with

this is the custom set up my dad and I did for the corolla back in the day, very challenging to say the least I loved it because of its rarity but at times was a huge headache, always throwing out CV joints because no LSD on the FWD. boost would come up at 2200 RPM and be Full peak at around 3000 holding either the 6.5 lbs of boost I would run regularly or the 12 lbs of boost I would hit at the track with race gas!
@ 1/2 a bar of boost she put down 168hp and 202 ft lbs of torque, stock was something like 109hp and 120 ft lbs not positive through... good times...

makes me soooooo want to do this under taking again...
You and your Dad had some great times when you were younger working on car projects like that.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 03:32 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
That is just awesome. Sub'd as well.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Perfectly huh.... well...
And as far as the wife goes I think that she is on board...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEXAS , go for it , some one has to be first , might as well be you . If we were closer Id bring more beer .
Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by paleblue46
TEXAS , go for it , some one has to be first , might as well be you . If we were closer Id bring more beer .
Actually, I believe T.T. is the most qualified member to attempt this awesome Mod! Not only will it properly show Mitsubishi what their engineers had failed to do for the pass 6 years, but it will be leaps & bounds ahead of any other professional mod shops.

You're going to have a EVO looking hood on this cuv AND have the muscle to back it, what a fantastic start.

The only thing more Extreme would be to transplant an entire EVO X platform into the O.Sport similar to what that other Japanese auto company did... in their Juke-R.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

All i would have to do if it does hold up is swap the Ralliart turbo for the EVOX turbo and swap the intercooler to the EVOX intercooler. And a retune. I may actually try and run the EVOX intercooler 1st to if i can find 1 cheap and sell the Ralliart just depends and guess what guys and gals.... the wife gave a go ahead! So 1st thing 1st cams valves, and tune. Then if the tuning goes well.... bring on the turbo kit!

Last edited by TEXAS TRAVISTY; Oct 6, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

All i would have to do if it does hold up is swap the Ralliart turbo for the EVOX turbo and swap the intercooler to the EVOX intercooler. And a retune. I may actually try and run the EVOX intercooler 1st to if i can find 1 cheap and sell the Ralliart just depends and guess what guys and gals.... the wife gave a go ahead! So 1st thing 1st cams valves, rune, then if the tuning goes well.... bring on the turbo kit!
You Sir have an absolutely Fantastic supporting wife! I love her!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yes she is! She knew when we married what she was getting good into...lol she says I am addicted to car and working on them...it is true.

oh and I will be using an Evox TB, EVOX cams, EvoX valves, EvoX intake manifold so literally just the Ralliart turbo won't be EVOX for now, just worried about the boost levels and the CVT trans. We will see how it goes though if further down the line it can handle it EVOX turbos are cheap on the EVOM sales forums, so the bump up would not be hard in the future.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

i ordered the EVOX cams, EVOX injectors, EVOX intercooler, and red and black EVOX plastic cover from a member on the forums today as a package deal 240.00 for everything shipped.
The cams and injectors will be 1st, as I want to see how the tune will hold up with the EvoX cams, EVOX valves, and EVOX injectors i wil be adding to the other mods i already have. Tune it and have a base map for the basic mods.
Mike at MRD is thinking of doing 3 different base maps for O.S.'s off of the mods I am running incase anyone would be interested in flash tuning their O.S. off of the data he gets from the dyno tunes.

1. base map would be the mods i have now
Greddy Intake
RRM pulley
RRM 4-1 header
2.5 magna flow cat
2.5" piping
2.5" dual magna flow SS mufflers

#2. flash map (the addition of)
EVOX Throttle body
EVOX Cams
EVOX Valves
EVOX Injectors

#3. flash map
would be the addition to the whole Ralliart/EVOX turbo system.

It is all up in the air right now but that is the plan moving forward depending on how the tuning goes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I did not know that they turbocharged this concept thought it was N/A.
Guess it is good that they said the stock O.S. motor is robust and should be turbocharged and not replace for another 4b11T engine so i have that working for me, they mention other after market parts as well but none are released to the public and no turbo kit released yet either....

RRM posted this up on there O.S. GT page:

Road Race Motorsports is proud to announce the unveil of the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/RVR Turbo built in partnership with Mitsubishi Motors of North America. July 9th, Cypress California, MMNA debuted the Outlander Sport- Turbo GT. This is a fully functional concept car built at the Road Race stables. At the heart of the Outlander Sport is Road Race’s Turbocharged 4b11 engine. Road Race poured over this engine until it achieved an additional 100 h.p. and 83 ft lbs. of torque! RRM used Mitsubishi turbo, Tial wastegate, a large front mount Intercooler, and its own proprietary engine management to achieve power in excess of a Mitsubishi Ralliart. MMNA has many drivetrain options but it was most effective to turbo the existing engine which is quite robust.

Along with the engine modifications, STOPTECH crafted a 4 piston, full floating brake system for the SPORT and we didn’t stop there. EIbach springs, 3M, Sparco, all contributed to this concept car. 3M did a full body wrap that truely brings out the best in the lines of this car.The car rolls on 19 inch Yokohama tires and is quite a looker rolling on these tires and wheels. The car will be ready for media to test in the very near future. We call it the Nissan JUKE KILLER! It has everything that category of car has and more. Performance will well eclipse that of the Juke in every category. We hope to see the reaction of press and the public. Knowing Mitsubishi, one never knows if this will make it to the road but it is certainly possible. More details available upon request.
Attached Thumbnails Ralliart Turbo set up-outturbo1sm2.jpg   Ralliart Turbo set up-rrmoutlandertc.jpg  

Last edited by TEXAS TRAVISTY; Oct 9, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

ok well i got some informative news today which is great to know but not great to hear.

I contacted RRM about a CVT trans cooler and they asked what i was doing.
Well after a long talk with the guys in the tech. department i have found out that even going with the ralliart turbo set up on the CVT (not the 5 speed manul trans) that i would have to get a wastegate that would not put out anything higher than 5lbs of boost and the Outlander would have to be detuned if it started to make over 200 hp or 200 ft. lbs..
The ecu has problems reguistering hp over that and has a fail safe that kicks in and engages the ABS brakes, thinking the car is spinning out, and trys to correct what is going on.
The 5 speeds have this problem as well but the trans is stronger and can hold the boost, the main problem is the internals of the CVT, he said the in side looks like a large rubber band with stapples all around it, and when heat gets to it it will liquify, that hey found out the hard way while doing the turbo kits for the Lancer.
He said if i can get a GOOD adjustable waste gate to bleed off the majority of the 15-16 lbs the stock ralliArt makes it would be fine as long as i have a SECONDARY transmition cooler, but the O.S. would still never put down more than 200hp, because of the fail safe no one can crack from the ECU.

The good news is that i have bought the injectors, cams and throttle body to go with intake and header i already have, and he said with that combo and a good tune i would be right at 200hp, anyway. There O.S. is turbo charged but it capped at 5 lbs. of boost and under 200 hp, because of the ECU problems. Add the CVT variable in to the mix and it is not looking so good for the turbo set up.

Well it was fun while it lasted but for now it looks like a full N/A build is in order. And yes i will be using a SECONDARY in line up front mounted 15 row transmition cooler!

Hope some one comes out with a better way to get around the limited boost and ECU problems in the future.

Sad day here in TEXAS....

Last edited by TEXAS TRAVISTY; Oct 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Ralliart Turbo set up