Notices

Buying advice, need guidance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying advice, need guidance

Hey guys lurking around here for the past few months reading up on the Sport as if I owned one myself. I would like to own one without the dealership owning me.

Am I being too stingy? I’m looking for a 2014 Outlander Sport SE AWD (End of October beginning of November figure they want to get rid of their 2014s) and I’m asking for 20K cash. I don’t need nor want to finance or have a trade in.

My phone has been blowing up since I gave out my number to the dealers. Same dealerships different people every day. A lot of them, actually all of them insist I come in to the dealership to talk numbers. They tell me there is always room to negotiate and I tell them I’m not negotiating this is my number. Still they want me to come in. I went to Potamkin and they said if I financed through them they would give it to me for $20,700. I didn’t take it, I left. I don’t want to finance or have anyone check my credit because I’m in the beginning stages of buying a house.

Should I stick to my guns is $20k+tax+title+reg cash too low? I wonder if these dealers even have a stock 2014 SE AWD or are they just trying to get me in there to sell me a 2015; well Potamkin did so maybe they are not lying.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Sgt.Kickass; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt.Kickass
Hey guys lurking around here for the past few months reading up on the Sport as if I owned one myself. I would like to own one without the dealership owning me.

Am I being too stingy? I’m looking for a 2014 Outlander Sport SE AWD (End of October beginning of November figure they want to get rid of their 2014s) and I’m asking for 20K cash. I don’t need nor want to finance or have a trade in.

My phone has been blowing up since I gave out my number to the dealers. Same dealerships different people every day. A lot of them, actually all of them insist I come in to the dealership to talk numbers. They tell me there is always room to negotiate and I tell them I’m not negotiating this is my number. Still they want me to come in. I went to Potamkin and they said if I financed through them they would give it to me for $20,700. I didn’t take it, I left. I don’t want to finance or have anyone check my credit because I’m in the beginning stages of buying a house.

Should I stick to my guns is $20k+tax+title+reg cash too low? I wonder if these dealers even have a stock 2014 SE AWD or are they just trying to get me in there to sell me a 2015; well Potamkin did so maybe they are not lying.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Lurking for a few months, aye...
Well, glad you finally chimed in.

You want AWD? Is it a must??
(For my family it was.. even though we don't get much snow here in Dallas. But, we do get those annual freak "3-5 days hard-freeze/blizzards" that warrants having AWD.)

I think you have better chances snagging a SE FWD for around that range..

If you're willing to go low(er)-model like the ES AWD, then I think you're bid is do-able.
However, for the SE I think you're pushing it -

Unless they have one of those 'manager' demos..

Or,

If they really have some old dogs 2014 SE AWDs taking up space on their lot...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Potamkin and they said if I financed through them they would give it to me for $20,700. I didn’t take it, I left. I don’t want to finance or have anyone check my credit because I’m in the beginning stages of buying a house.
Have you considered letting them finance as long as there's an option to pay off in full at any time? If that's their condition for having the price so low, it may be worth it to finance and directly pay off.

There's only a few dealers near me who sell Mitsu so it'd be a miracle to get one so low, I know one of the dealers out here still has a fully loaded '13 in their showroom :/
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:33 PM

So you guys think I'm low balling them huh. I got the 20K because it was truecar.com that brought me to that dealer for $20,700. The only problem was the dealer wanted me to finance it through them and when I asked for the back end numbers of the deal (even though I wanted to pay in cash, I wanted to hear them out) they said they couldn't say until they checked my credit. Why do you need to check my credit to tell me what you are going to charge in registration fees, processing fee and whatever fees they were going to throw in? That and the fact that 1 dealer turned into 3 dealers hovering around the desk trying to seal the deal I guess I got annoyed and said I'll think about it and left

I just don't want to get screwed and I hate the fact that none of them want to discuss numbers with me over the phone.

They are already annoying me with the phone calls. 1 guy called me up to tell me he has a few 2014s but the "2015s look 100 times better." When he said that I just said I gotta go and hung up on him.

Anyways maybe I'll reach out to one more dealer and offer 21K...it also depends on what numbers they throw in at the end.
Hopefully I can be part of the clan.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

So you guys think I'm low balling them huh. I got the 20K because it was truecar.com that brought me to that dealer for $20,700. The only problem was the dealer wanted me to finance it through them and when I asked for the back end numbers of the deal (even though I wanted to pay in cash, I wanted to hear them out) they said they couldn't say until they checked my credit. Why do you need to check my credit to tell me what you are going to charge in registration fees, processing fee and whatever fees they were going to throw in? That and the fact that 1 dealer turned into 3 dealers hovering around the desk trying to seal the deal I guess I got annoyed and said I'll think about it and left

I just don't want to get screwed and I hate the fact that none of them want to discuss numbers with me over the phone.

They are already annoying me with the phone calls. 1 guy called me up to tell me he has a few 2014s but the "2015s look 100 times better." When he said that I just said I gotta go and hung up on him.

Anyways maybe I'll reach out to one more dealer and offer 21K...it also depends on what numbers they throw in at the end.
Hopefully I can be part of the clan.
It really depends on how many Mitsu dealers there are in your area (less than 5?), PLUS IF they are ALL owned by the same person/Co.
If they are all owned by the same person then they would be in NO hurry to "under cut" each other. That's why they are playing this game with you...

One thing to never do is get annoyed.
Those poor salesperson(s) are only "doing" what their Sales Manager and/or GM is telling them to do, which is "do whatever it takes to get the warm body onto the lot. So, they can - work you over that deal - ."

So, Unless you are willing to wait til the last day of the year's "sales cycle", which can/could be Jan. 2nd of 2015.. to make a last ditch "bid" on any remaining 2014's.

You might want to consider listening to what they have to offer on their current 2015 inventory. At least that way you're not jamming yourself into a very limited selection/options.

Good luck.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 27, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:37 PM

Hi. I also used true car to get my Outlander sport. Mine came out lower at around $19800. Even the dealer couldn't believe how low that was but he had no choice but to give me that price. He charged me an extra $200 because the one I chose had fog lights on it so it was $20000 even. I did finance with them though. It's odd I would think they would jump at the idea to get a cash buyer. My Outlander sport is plain just basic radio, no sunroof or leather. I don't need any of that. Only thing I wanted was awd. I also bought a Honda crv for my wife and used true car. I paid cash for that one and it wasn't a problem at honda. They gave me the true car price as well. Seems like Mitsubishi dealers need to change their technique just a bit. I love my Mitsubishi but I have to admit I had a better buying experience at honda. I just like Mitsubishi more. I went in there ready to walk away and knowing what I wanted. You should go in and talk to the dealers but make sure you're ready to leave if you don't get what you want. You might get exactly what you want at that point. If you don't and they let you leave you just keep looking. Good luck bud.

Last edited by jostnyc; Oct 27, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:06 PM

$19,800 for an SE AWD? That's pretty good. Did you check off every single incentive truecar offered? There was a customer loyalty rebate that I didn't check off because I didn't qualify. You think I should have? I mean do they check to see if you have/had a Mitsubishi, Saturn or Suzuki?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:38 AM

Yeah I used the loyalty rebate cause I have a galant. Yeah it was a good deal. I actually wasn't ready to buy that day but I went to the dealer to see what I could negotiate with the true car certificate. Turns out they have to give you the true car price for in stock vehicles. The sticker on mine was over $25000. Needless to say the manager wasn't happy but he took it well and signed off on it. I don't think I put the loyalty rebate on the true credit website though. The salesman at the dealer was the one brought that up. But I have the ES AWC model. No bells and whistles. The standard stuff is good enough for me. I like that it has blue tooth for phone and music streaming. That's all I need. And the wheels are a plus. My honda has small ugly steel wheels.

Last edited by jostnyc; Oct 28, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

The sticker on mine was over $27,000, but fair price on line was $25,000, when they 1st came out in 2011.
I went in and stood firm on my price of not a penny over $25,000 out the door tax title and license. It took them a week to cave, but they did I got the AWD SE with the upgraded Rockford Fostgate sound system for that price. I had to deal with the regular B.S. being called in 3 times saying they could make it work, but upped the price at signing. I walked out 2 times pissed off. The 3rd time they called me to come in I made them throw in the trunk lid cover in the deal so no one could see subwoofer through the rear window, just because of the hassle.

Stick to your guns if it is a resizable offer, they do have room to haggle, look up the options you are getting and price out on line as to the fair price even take the print out in from other dealer ships don't be afraid to walk out, they will sell you a car trust me!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Firstly,
Make sure you're offering a reasonable price for the Trim Level you're gunning for. (You want SE AWC, so make sure you're not bidding on ES price.)

Secondly,
It really depends on the timing..
> If the "daily" incentives, spiffs, or hold backs aren't there for the salesperson or his/her Manager then they won't be able to deal, NO Matter how many times you threaten to walk - which only means you're wasting your time.)

Here's our method - (Granted this was back in early Jan. 2013)
For us on the first O.Sport SE AWC (silver) we literally punched them at the very Last day of their sales cycle for 2012, which was Jan. 2, 2013 and at 7:30pm to boot.

There was only one sales guy and a Finance manager there with NO body else on the lot. (They close at 9pm officially, BUT since we showed up they Had to stay.)
My wife and I knew basically what we wanted, But we test drove 3 different O.sports because each had different options. That drag the time to well past 9.
By the time we came back we just told them we'll take the SE AWC fully loaded (less Nav/Touchscreen and LED pack.)
& We asked, "how motivated are you to get 'us take it right now, tonight's end-of-the-year you can get fired price.' " with a smile, of course.

Guess they wanted to test us (probably thinking we'll give them the "we'll think about it routine" and leave), because they came back within minutes with a price that we couldn't believe... "$22,700 Drive Out, BUT you must have great credit AND finance through us."

My wife and I looked at each other and said, "Done. Let's go."

The poor salesperson had to go clean & prep the vehicle himself while we waited. The Finance guy tried to pack the back-end with the standards : fabric protection $250, GAP $1,187 , something $380 and Something $876. We just kindly say "No" and refused to sign the contract and just waited... & waited & waited.
The clock for him to get the 'papers' (our Bill of Sale) registered for End-of-Year Bonuses was running out, at 11pm.
By now, it was 10:45pm...

It's all about timing -
He basically said Alright and removed all the backend add-ons.
We got our stupid-crazy D.O. price, which was WAY below what we had planned.
My wife had just the biggest smile driving home in that vehicle.

(But, that kind of timing wasn't on our side - the second time around - for us to snag such an insane price on our second O.sport. Can't win them all.)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
"how motivated are you to get 'us take it right now, tonight's end-of-the-year you can get fired price.' " with a smile, of course.
Ha ha I like that one.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

oh I will have to use that one in the future, for everything!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the stories and tips guys. Hopefully next time I post it will have a picture of my OS.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:49 PM

I'm shopping as well. I'm looking for a base model ES with 5 speed. I see them pretty cheap online on autotrader $16-17K but thats after ALL avail incentives I'm sure. I'm just not sure which I can qualify for.

Quick Reply: Buying advice, need guidance