Notices

Those of you with AWC thinking about new rims...

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 10:36 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Those of you with AWC thinking about new rims...

Don't do this...

Those of you with AWC thinking about new rims...-z9ah292.jpg

Old May 8, 2015, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that is sad. For one that he doesn't know you can't mix match sizes w/ AWD/4WD and two that the people that put the tires on didn't catch it.
Old May 8, 2015, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
What on earth happened..?
What does those icons mean?
Old May 8, 2015, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

The fronts/rears have significantly differnt diameters and circumferences so the AWD is confused.
Old May 8, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
... so the AWD is confused...

....or DAMAGED! can cause some expensive drivetrain problems. i had to replace 4 nearly new Blizzaks on the wife's Forester because one had a tear in the sidewall.

not so much a problem with our ability to select FWD, but AWD vehicles must not be towed, either - use a flatbed truck.
Old May 8, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Right about changing all four, esp. if you get the last of the run. My other ride has Nokian Hakka R2 which are no longer made (I think I got the last set in Canada) but my tire warranty will replace all four if one goes kaput. Even my kid's Forester for which I bought him snows got the optional replace all warranty for (IIRc) $11 per tire.

And yeah, that guy's drive train could be seriously compromised.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is potential that his drivetrain is messed up however with the technology of the Mitsu AWC (and most other makers as well) he is probably ok as long as he didn't drive hundreds of miles. I'm pretty positive the systems are designed to handle some mismatch and allow some slip but that was obviously a lot for lights to come on.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:37 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
What on earth happened..?
What does those icons mean?
As CottageLifer said, it's the inconsistent diameters. The difference causes them to rotate at different speeds, and wreaking havoc on the transfer case

Originally Posted by Landshark
....or DAMAGED! can cause some expensive drivetrain problems. i had to replace 4 nearly new Blizzaks on the wife's Forester because one had a tear in the sidewall.

not so much a problem with our ability to select FWD, but AWD vehicles must not be towed, either - use a flatbed truck.
I wouldn't risk it, personally. Even with the full electromagnetic decoupling.

Originally Posted by Redstang69
There is potential that his drivetrain is messed up however with the technology of the Mitsu AWC (and most other makers as well) he is probably ok as long as he didn't drive hundreds of miles. I'm pretty positive the systems are designed to handle some mismatch and allow some slip but that was obviously a lot for lights to come on.
Ehhh... note the speed. You could damage a transfer case pretty quick at (what appears to be) highway speed.

Those of you with AWC thinking about new rims...-yggr00t.png
Old May 8, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
I see..
Thank you guys for the clarification.

(Guess that driver should have consulted with this forum first Before his big wheel swop.)
Burton,
Keep us posted on what he/she end up doing to fix the problem(s).
Old May 8, 2015, 01:46 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
^
I see..
Thank you guys for the clarification.

(Guess that driver should have consulted with this forum first Before his big wheel swop.)
Burton,
Keep us posted on what he/she end up doing to fix the problem(s).
Whoops, that was from reddit. No idea who it is.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002

I wouldn't risk it, personally. Even with the full electromagnetic decoupling.
Nah, I've had AWD cars for the past 15 years, I'm used to asking for the flatbed.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yikes! the offset is a bit extreme so he was not able to use the TPM sensors, that is the tire light and the different ride heights on the tires are throwing off the AWD computer... if he just replaces the front tires to same size he will be fine the TPM sensor is no big deal if he monitors his tire pressure reg. but he will have to have the AWD comp reset at the factory and that will be a 150.00 mistake, plus 2 new tires...dumb
Old May 12, 2015, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
yikes! the offset is a bit extreme so he was not able to use the TPM sensors, that is the tire light and the different ride heights on the tires are throwing off the AWD computer... if he just replaces the front tires to same size he will be fine the TPM sensor is no big deal if he monitors his tire pressure reg. but he will have to have the AWD comp reset at the factory and that will be a 150.00 mistake, plus 2 new tires...dumb
Those would be the least of my worries .... Damage to the differentials and transmission are more of a concern.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the difference in 5mm on the hight and the with is probably around a 7-8mm difference due to the stretch, it is not drastic, but I can see how it will through the computer but I don't thing that that small of a difference will f up the trans., but I am no expert in the matter. deff would correct asap though hope he got some good advise
Old May 12, 2015, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
the difference in 5mm on the hight and the with is probably around a 7-8mm difference due to the stretch, it is not drastic, but I can see how it will through the computer but I don't thing that that small of a difference will f up the trans., but I am no expert in the matter. deff would correct asap though hope he got some good advise
Hey, if you want to gamble with that repair bill ......
you shouldnt even replace two of the exact same tire on an AWD vehicle if the other two have a bit of wear, and id expect that difference in rolling diameter is even less.