Notices

AWD modes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
I noticed that you used a more sudden throttle increase with the Vitara
These time I was behind the camera
I am not sure about the throttle, it looks more sudden, but this is automatic version, while my ASX is manual. Throttle increase is also dependent on which mode is selected (in Sport it starts much faster than in Snow). I think it just starts like that when there is no friction under some wheels.
Generally traction control seems to be faster - I also tested older Grand Vitara AT, same driver, it took more time to get out of the rollers, but still less than ASX needs.
Front/rear torque distribution is similar, however in Lock mode Mitsubishi works far better.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:13 PM

I bought a 2014 OS for my daughter and great car with exception of rapid acceleration i.e. getting on highway. Auto 4wd drive seems to be most responsive but I can only describe the automatic shifting as "wonky". Are there any non-exotic tweaks to improve? Different transmission fluid? Non-warranty breaking mods?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Miller
I bought a 2014 OS for my daughter and great car with exception of rapid acceleration i.e. getting on highway. Auto 4wd drive seems to be most responsive but I can only describe the automatic shifting as "wonky". Are there any non-exotic tweaks to improve? Different transmission fluid? Non-warranty breaking mods?

2.0L or 2.4L?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Landshark
2.0L or 2.4L?

2.0 - Sorry, I responded from phone immediately but appears it didn't post

Again, it's my teenage daughter's car so not looking to drop in new cat back exhaust or anything like that. I would just feel better if acceleration was better when getting on highways. It just seems to "bog down" when you try to quickly get up to highway speed. Seems like engine is over-revving and not accelerating as efficiently as possible. So to me seems more like a CVT issue than a horsepower issue?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

2.0 - Sorry, I responded from phone immediately but appears it didn't post

Again, it's my teenage daughter's car so not looking to drop in new cat back exhaust or anything like that. I would just feel better if acceleration was better when getting on highways. It just seems to "bog down" when you try to quickly get up to highway speed. Seems like engine is over-revving and not accelerating as efficiently as possible. So to me seems more like a CVT issue than a horsepower issue?
i dunno, our 2.4L is the opposite - it will chirp the tires from a stop if you aren't easy on the gas pedal.

maybe have the dealer give the TCU a scan if its still under warranty?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:24 AM

i dunno, our 2.4L is the opposite - it will chirp the tires from a stop if you aren't easy on the gas pedal.

maybe have the dealer give the TCU a scan if its still under warranty?

That's a great idea being specific on having them look at TCU - thanks! The only way this car would "chirp the tires" is if I stripped it bare and filled with Racing gas!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

That's a great idea being specific on having them look at TCU - thanks! The only way this car would "chirp the tires" is if I stripped it bare and filled with Racing gas!

its weird, i always have performance cars (Evo MR, G37 coupe, just sold a Porsche 928), and i have to remember to go easy on my wife's OS from a redlight.

one time i said, "**** it, i'm going to step on it and see what happens ... " the torque steer damn near ripped the steering wheel from my hands.

i guess it wouldn't do that in AWD mode, but its in FWD 99% of the time.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Considering a hybrid AWD SUV and need solid AWD performance? No

Here is an interesting test on the capabilities of the Toyota RAV4 hybrid and Outlander PHEV.
It is disappointing how poor torque appropriation these vehicles can do:

For comparison the same tests performed on the AWC and S-AWC regular Outlanders:
You'll be the judge.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 08:41 PM

Unfortunately, the reported split of the torque varies quite a bit depending on the source. As mentioned in the source Landshark quoted above one report assumes 15-40% (4WD Auto) and 15-60% (in 4WD Lock) torque to be sent to the rear axle, while Mitsubishi's own Powerpoint presentation (see the relevant attached images) assumes up to 70% of power to be distributed to the rear wheels. (Note the dubious language: power and torque are not the same quantities). Since the power vs. rpm curve is steeper than the torque vs rpm curve (from zero to peak) it can make a huge difference whether the awd system regulates at low or high rpm.
To make things even more complicated the video below (for Citroen C4 Aircross that uses the same awc system as OS/RVR reports a much wider range of torque distribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-68Zmhv3Kgs
In 4WD Auto (go to 2:33) 2-50% to the rear, while in 4WD lock( go to 2:47) 2-70% is assumed to be sent to the rear.
It is absolutely certain that some torque is always sent to the rear. That is why the fuel economy figures are different in different modes. Had we have a "slip-and-grip" system there would be no need for manual selection option (the electronics would take care of the torque distribution within the programmed limitation). We have an option to prioritize between fuel economy, traction and wear and tear. I think it is awesome.
The modes on my '18 GT aren't quite the same, I have AWC ECO, Normal, Snow, and Lock
Old Sep 19, 2018, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cognizio
The modes on my '18 GT aren't quite the same, I have AWC ECO, Normal, Snow, and Lock
The OS (and the French clones) has a simpler AWC system, your Outlander GT and the Eclipse Cross come with an updated S-AWC system that is tuned for fuel economy (that is why the introduction of the AWC Eco mode). I am almost sure that the new mode designations are just different programming features. Component-wise the S-AWC system has an active front differential, while the AWC does lack of it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Here is an interesting test on the capabilities of the Toyota RAV4 hybrid and Outlander PHEV.
It is disappointing how poor torque appropriation these vehicles can do:
Hybrid 4x4 roller test

For comparison the same tests performed on the AWC and S-AWC regular Outlanders:
Outlander GT S-AWC vs Outlander 2.0 AWC roller test
You'll be the judge.
It appears that ESP OFF mode and some reprogramming solve the problem for the Outlander PHEV:
Old Feb 14, 2019, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

The OS (and the French clones) has a simpler AWC system, your Outlander GT and the Eclipse Cross come with an updated S-AWC system that is tuned for fuel economy (that is why the introduction of the AWC Eco mode). I am almost sure that the new mode designations are just different programming features. Component-wise the S-AWC system has an active front differential, while the AWC does lack of it.
my Evo had "TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW" modes, but my mom's Eclipse Cross has "AUTO/SNOW/GRAVEL" modes. EC uses the brakes to torque vector, where the Evo had an active center differential.

weird that they are constantly changing the "mode names".

i kinda like the fact that the OS can just be set FWD - as 99% of the time, you don't really need the AWD, at least for the mild winter we had so far.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

my Evo had "TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW" modes, but my mom's Eclipse Cross has "AUTO/SNOW/GRAVEL" modes. EC uses the brakes to torque vector, where the Evo had an active center differential.

weird that they are constantly changing the "mode names".

i kinda like the fact that the OS can just be set FWD - as 99% of the time, you don't really need the AWD, at least for the mild winter we had so far.
Your Evo's S-AWC was more sophisticated than the one in the Eclipse Cross' S-AWC, which is likely a descendant of the 2nd gen Outlander GT system with active front differential and no center diff.
I agree that the names are confusing and perhaps the new ones refer to the influence of software involvement rather than changes of hardware. They should have come up with different names for the EVO and the Outlander as they are quite different.
To begin with "AWD lock mode" is a misnomer itself as there is no locking differential in the OS. As an end user I am not really concerned about the names and the PR behind it though it would be nice to have some connection with reality of the actual mechanism. I would like to have, however, a potent AWD system that can cope with the amount of snow we get in my area ( we just received another foot of blessing yesterday). I am still hesitant about the effectiveness of the PHEV pure electric AWD system although I was happy to discover some improvement.