Notices

Where's my TPMS??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
"First cut is the deepest"-as Rod Stewart's song says. First experience with TPMS hits people. Now one can see the response time of our TPMS (tens of miles or even a day).
The ETACS can store five codes ( there is no sensor in the spare tire) and they get wiped out every time the new codes are stored. Without TPMS sensors one would need a pretty big electric tape as not only the small icon but the entire center console lights up (just like the frost warning). Yes, you may clear it after starting the car but it will come back every time other warning comes up (e.g. frost warning, traction control, etc.). It is time to get familiar with either Diagbox or ETACS Decoder. Your troubles will end.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You are probably right. I need to start reading... Is there an "Instructables" for ETACS?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

No pain - no gain. The problem with nearly all technical forums (including this one) is that the uncertain, unsupported (often one liner) comments makes it difficult to find the needed and correct information.
Here is where to start (over 100 pages and over 1250 posts, may be 30 are really useful the most):
http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mit...40223/page126/
The issue is that people rather ask without taking the effort of reading or even worse, some already tried without knowing what they did, and desperately ask for help after they messed up. Some others give false advice. The old saying is definitely true here: "Measure twice cut once".
If you are willing to take the plunge and buy an Actia interface (off Ebay) I can send you an info how to install and use Diagbox (I am familiar with this software).
Alternatively here is the link to ETACS Decoder site:
http://etacsdecoder.com/forum/
There is no easy way. One must take the time and read what the moderators are posting.
Another advice: Do not experiment. Do only what you are certain of.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure of the brand name of the TPMS sensor . But some brands are able to be cloned to match the sensors already installed on the OS . That way you can have 8 tire and wheels with just the 4 codes . Then in the winter or summer you just put the wheels on and NO warnings NO codes .
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii_Dave
Not sure of the brand name of the TPMS sensor . But some brands are able to be cloned to match the sensors already installed on the OS . That way you can have 8 tire and wheels with just the 4 codes . Then in the winter or summer you just put the wheels on and NO warnings NO codes .
Yes, they exist:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...your-dash.html
One has to send the codes of the existing sensors and the person apparently can clone the same code to the ones you purchase.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
"First cut is the deepest"-as Rod Stewart's song says. First experience with TPMS hits people. Now one can see the response time of our TPMS (tens of miles or even a day).
The ETACS can store five codes ( there is no sensor in the spare tire) and they get wiped out every time the new codes are stored. Without TPMS sensors one would need a pretty big electric tape as not only the small icon but the entire center console lights up (just like the frost warning). Yes, you may clear it after starting the car but it will come back every time other warning comes up (e.g. frost warning, traction control, etc.). It is time to get familiar with either Diagbox or ETACS Decoder. Your troubles will end.

yes, i've lived with it in the Evo during winters for five years. it becomes second nature to reach over and push the INFO button to clear it.

if you're the type of person who, once they have auto-on headlights, can never be bothered to reach over to turn them on ever again, then maybe spending the money for an ETACS programmer, a new set of TPMS sensors, and having them installed is a good idea. call me cheap, but its not that big a deal to just clear the warning and deal with the little light.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
yes, i've lived with it in the Evo during winters for five years. it becomes second nature to reach over and push the INFO button to clear it.

if you're the type of person who, once they have auto-on headlights, can never be bothered to reach over to turn them on ever again, then maybe spending the money for an ETACS programmer, a new set of TPMS sensors, and having them installed is a good idea. call me cheap, but its not that big a deal to just clear the warning and deal with the little light.
I understand your point and I take it with respect. What is expensive, however, is a matter of perspective. The only cost (financially) is the Actia interface (currently the cheapest on Ebay is $71 with free shipping word wide).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexia-3-V48-...834093&vxp=mtr
The program itself is available for free (Diagbox). This 71 bucks buys the owner the ability to program other useful things besides TPMS:
1. One can diagnose for errors and clear error codes (how many people here in this forum did remove the radio bezel, disconnected the passanger airbag indicator light and ended up with a "service airbag error code". Situations like described in the recent "Outlander Sport: Triple Mystery Features" thread can be diagnosed without the necessity to visit the dealership).
2. Preventing the average consumption to reset after every four hours of park (dealership cannot do it);
3. Locking (speed or shifter position related) and unlocking (again choices exist) the door automatically (dealership cannot do it);
4. Changing the settings of intermittent wipers, welcome lights;
5. Adjusting the tire circumference to keep the speedometer accurate in case someone puts on different size of wheels;
6. Enable comfort features like, how many times you want your turn signal to flash after touching it.
7. Aftermarket foglights, DRLs, entertainment systems, back up cameras or radars can use the OEM wiring harnesses, and one can enable those features.
8. With some extra cost one can make the mirrors folding, upon closing the car rolling up the windows. Just a few things I remembered (many things I am not interested in). I do not think it is expensive for what it can offer. People spend much more than 71 bucks on items that may have less use. I could come up with a list of five items that are more expensive and may even compromise safety, yet people buy them.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

I understand your point and I take it with respect. What is expensive, however, is a matter of perspective. The only cost (financially) is the Actia interface (currently the cheapest on Ebay is $71 with free shipping word wide).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexia-3-V48-...834093&vxp=mtr
The program itself is available for free (Diagbox). This 71 bucks buys the owner the ability to program other useful things besides TPMS:
i could see where it would be useful if you were wanting to do more than program TPMS sensors.

1. One can diagnose for errors and clear error codes (how many people here in this forum did remove the radio bezel, disconnected the passanger airbag indicator light and ended up with a "service airbag error code". Situations like described in the recent "Outlander Sport: Triple Mystery Features" thread can be diagnosed without the necessity to visit the dealership).
i can do that now with a $6 OBDII Bluetooth dongle and a free Android app.

8. With some extra cost one can make the mirrors folding, upon closing the car rolling up the windows.
i WISH we could have folding mirrors as an option.

many of the other functions you mentioned (wipers, door locking, turn signal tone, alarm chirps, etc.) are adjustable on my Evo with the Nav package. is that the case with the OS? we did not get Nav on the OS, but i'd be surprised if Mitsu took those features away.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

many of the other functions you mentioned (wipers, door locking, turn signal tone, alarm chirps, etc.) are adjustable on my Evo with the Nav package. is that the case with the OS? we did not get Nav on the OS, but i'd be surprised if Mitsu took those features away.
Yes, apparently few things with the Navi package ($2000 or so price) can be adjusted. In my book it is a pricey luxury for this ability (especially that every cell phone has GPS these days; See how relative the term "expensive" is?).
If I am not mistaken CottageLifer explored even the autolocking feature with the dealership and they could not do it for him. There is a thread about it (post #18).
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...r-locks-2.html
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, apparently few things with the Navi package ($2000 or so price) can be adjusted. In my book it is a pricey luxury for this ability (especially that every cell phone has GPS these days; See how relative the term "expensive" is?).
If I am not mistaken CottageLifer explored even the autolocking feature with the dealership and they could not do it for him. There is a thread about it (post #18).
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...r-locks-2.html
i bought the Evo used with 7400 miles and it was loaded, but i got it for a steal. bought the OS new, and skipped the Nav - the few times i do use it, i use the Waze app on my phone.

does Canada get folding mirrors?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

does Canada get folding mirrors?
Not up to 2015 MY. Apparently, the new 2016 (I suppose only the top model, at least for Canada) model has it as an available feature. Some European, Australian and South African models had this option since 2010 MY. My passenger side mirror has been damaged in the parking lot about a year ago ( I had to buy a new one). I will never know whether it was a pedestrian walking to his/her car or another mirror of a passing by car. No paint residue was found.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Not up to 2015 MY. Apparently, the new 2016 (I suppose only the top model, at least for Canada) model has it as an available feature. Some European, Australian and South African models had this option since 2010 MY. My passenger side mirror has been damaged in the parking lot about a year ago ( I had to buy a new one). I will never know whether it was a pedestrian walking to his/her car or another mirror of a passing by car. No paint residue was found.
we have two single width garage doors, and the giant mirrors of the OS make it so you have to pull in or out carefully. my wife scares me sometimes.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, they exist:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...your-dash.html
One has to send the codes of the existing sensors and the person apparently can clone the same code to the ones you purchase.
that's pretty cool. But probably costs more than the ETACS decoder.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
that's pretty cool. But probably costs more than the ETACS decoder.
I remember something in the $250 ball park + the rental of the reader (it was long time ago when "I got my first cut").
Here is how it is done (may be):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwcWb1l4cs
The problem is that TPMS sensors may get damaged, the battery gets depleted in few years for sure so, one is again at the mercy of either the dealership or suppliers like this person. (see posts #128,129) below:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ur-dash-9.html
I think the idea is great and as long as there is market for it it will sell well. However, this item will not allow you to program other features. It only takes care of TPMS.
At the end, there is no free lunch: either you pay premium for a product, spend time learning the programming, or live with the warning light.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting more and more interested in these decoders. Are they all the same? Like this is 40 USD: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...457162282.html Maybe it is time for a new thread...

I think as long as I could query and test before writing new variant firmware I can stomach the risk. Might be a fun "science project". (Plus of course I could add the rear fog light, etc.)

Quick Reply: Where's my TPMS??