Notices

Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander Bummer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander Bummer

So I get my first oil change done this week, after I get home we go and wash the 14 Big O, and the girls new Jeep. when we get back, the wife is comparing front end parts, like headlights, etc. and notices my hood is full of rock chips in the front.
I took it to the dealer after a call, and they took some pics. Going to send it in to a rep and see what they can do, but they agreed that it's NOT normal to be chipping away like that.
The wifes 14 has been driven everywhere and down gravel roads and doesn't have a spec off of it. My 13 Sonata turbo I traded in is still on their lot and it's in perfect shape. So we're all thinking there's something wrong with the paint mix, cure time, hardness of clear coat, etc. It's not even 4 months old and the "HOOD" looks like it's an old Toyota pickup paint job..... The rest of the front end painted area's are just fine, so the service manager thinks the hood didn't get the same quality of paint as the rest of it did.
Hopefully they'll get some resolve for it sooner than later, but dang,,,,, I've never had a vehicle get chipping this bad. Especially a new one.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Any photos?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Certain water based paint colours like silver, light blue and white are notorious for this. Something to do with the metallics inside. FWIW a buddy had a Toyota Highlander thad did the same thing EVERYWHERE. Toyota rebuffed his claim. I always use a clear bra/front cover on my vehicles.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
What a buzzkill!

This reminds me of that paint problem Chrysler had back in the late 80s LINK
(worker sweat/deodorant during paint prep )

Or, somebody at the Mitsu Paint dept must've shorten the baking time on your batch of outlanders..
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

No decent pics that show up at the moment, but Tuesday my ride goes into the shop and they are repainting the hood. It was a pretty quick decision from the rep I guess, so I'm happy they are taking care of me. I'll be getting the bug guard/shield as soon as it's done.
Also thinking about the duplicolor spray on invisible bra stuff. It's like a clear plasti dip. Gonna try it on the side areas of the front grill shell and maybe the mirrors.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a couple pics. They don't do the chipping justice in them, but EVERY lil spec you see in them is a chip of some sort or depth.
Also orange peel in the edges of the hood. Tuesday it goes in for repaint, so hopefully it'll match up well, I'll get the hood protector just for peace of mind, and all will be well in the universe.
Attached Thumbnails Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander  Bummer-wp_20160221_11_57_08_pro.jpg   Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander  Bummer-wp_20160221_11_57_16_pro.jpg  
Old Feb 27, 2016, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that is not normal. Hope it gets redone properly. Stuff happens.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It appears that such a damage is more visible on a dark finish paint as the undercoat is white. I think the paint on Mitsubishi cars is quite soft and may even be thin as well in comparison with other brands I have owned in the past. The amount of chips also depends on what road conditions you drive on. The attached images (taken last May) show similar damage on my car (though after three years of winter driving; to be honest I noticed a few chips few months into the ownership already). Here in my area the city uses not only salt but small gravel to combat slippery roads.
I am not sure that the new paint will be much better on your car unless you vow to keep a larger distance between you and a car in front of you.
Attached Thumbnails Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander  Bummer-paint-chip_1.jpg   Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander  Bummer-paint-chip2.jpg  
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

And black undercoat behind white! GO figure. A full clear bra is the best way to do this but you are looking at 500-700 CAD for an RVR/OS. I did the hood, A pillars, mirrors and roof leading edge and it ran me about 425 CAD.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
And black undercoat behind white! GO figure. A full clear bra is the best way to do this but you are looking at 500-700 CAD for an RVR/OS. I did the hood, A pillars, mirrors and roof leading edge and it ran me about 425 CAD.
Really? This is totally counterintuitive. I was considering plastidipping the hood. We did it on my son's car; he had a clear coat peeling problem caused by an unprofessional polish/paint treatment, most likely done on a baking sun). It turned out to be decent (used two cans of color and one can of glossifier).
Would not the clear bra yellow over time? It could primarily concern you as your car is white. Is it removable without a residue?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it is counter-intuitive, but that is what the paint guys tell me. Same for my ski boat: white hull, black undercoat - opposite for dark colours.

I had 3M ScotchCal on a van for about a dozen year. No yellowing. I have seen some light and white cars where there is some yellowing, but do not know if it was the type of film used or something else. I got the Pro Series stuff and it is guaranteed for 7 years but the local application company warranties it for life. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/ Great bunch there! Or for a few more bucks you can get Xpel Ultimate which is warrantied not to yellow for 10 years.

I am not too keen on canned Plastidip as it seems to get a orange peel finish. The spray gun applications seem better. But if you can live with it, 50-60 bucks for a whole hood every few years would be fine I guess. Aside: it would be an interesting experiment to do half a hood with clear film and the other with Plastidip.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking of doing a portion of the hood going towards the middle (from the front) and using the Duplicolor spray on clear bra. it's like plasti dip, but a much nicer look. Good reviews from others on it, so hopefully it won't look obvious. Hood protector should solve a good amount from happening, but like I told the dealer.. My wifes 14 hood looks perfect and she's taken that thing down country roads, etc.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it is counter-intuitive, but that is what the paint guys tell me. Same for my ski boat: white hull, black undercoat - opposite for dark colours.

I had 3M ScotchCal on a van for about a dozen year. No yellowing. I have seen some light and white cars where there is some yellowing, but do not know if it was the type of film used or something else. I got the Pro Series stuff and it is guaranteed for 7 years but the local application company warranties it for life. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/ Great bunch there! Or for a few more bucks you can get Xpel Ultimate which is warrantied not to yellow for 10 years.

I am not too keen on canned Plastidip as it seems to get a orange peel finish. The spray gun applications seem better. But if you can live with it, 50-60 bucks for a whole hood every few years would be fine I guess. Aside: it would be an interesting experiment to do half a hood with clear film and the other with Plastidip.
Thanks for the info. It is very useful. Applying plastidip is just like any process. You have to religiously follow the protocol for the best or even for acceptable results. The ambient and surface temperatures and the waiting time between the coats seem to be critical.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

The bicycle racer's old adage "Paint Weighs" has never been more true. Mfgs. are using thinner and thinner paint so chipping is far worse that it used to be.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The bicycle racer's old adage "Paint Weighs" has never been more true. Mfgs. are using thinner and thinner paint so chipping is far worse that it used to be.
Mitsubishi isn't known for great paint jobs, but my '08 Evo still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, while my '13 G37 looks like it was sandblasted.

even so-called "luxury" brands aren't immune. i'm probably going to have my buddy paint the hood and front bumper with a real coat of paint ...

Quick Reply: Paint chipping off hood. 16 Outlander Bummer